Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

aiaustin
Folks, can I open a discussion on this... a lot of people have issues
with a few "key" modules that pretty much anyone using OpenSim need
sort is likely to want.  If there are out of the box solutions (even
very basic ones) for these included in te distruibuition and checked
as working with each checkpoint released, it would make OpenSim MUCH
MUCH easier to configure and use.  Then the more sophisticated and
optional variants could be introduced for those with the skill.
Keeping some of these modules outside the standard distribution is
just making life awkward for many.

I suggest the key modules at least are:

groups (use flotsam as default)
offline IM (use flotsam as default)
profile (use osprofile)
basic avatar registration and admin (suggest to use Diva Wifi)
voice (mumble when its working, freeswitch for now?)
others?

Re: Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

Marcus Alexander Link
I would like see an in-world currency module on the list.
Any ideas which one is stable working?

Marcus

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://www.manupool.de
Mobile: +49 1577 422 0000

Re: Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

ssm2017
on my christmas wishlist i would like to see also a maptiles generator :)

2010/11/16 Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]>:

> I would like see an in-world currency module on the list.
> Any ideas which one is stable working?
> Marcus
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Folks, can I open a discussion on this... a lot of people have issues with
>> a few "key" modules that pretty much anyone using OpenSim need sort is
>> likely to want.  If there are out of the box solutions (even very basic
>> ones) for these included in te distruibuition and checked as working with
>> each checkpoint released, it would make OpenSim MUCH MUCH easier to
>> configure and use.  Then the more sophisticated and optional variants could
>> be introduced for those with the skill. Keeping some of these modules
>> outside the standard distribution is just making life awkward for many.
>>
>> I suggest the key modules at least are:
>>
>> groups (use flotsam as default)
>> offline IM (use flotsam as default)
>> profile (use osprofile)
>> basic avatar registration and admin (suggest to use Diva Wifi)
>> voice (mumble when its working, freeswitch for now?)
>> others?

> http://www.manupool.de
> Mobile: +49 1577 422 0000

Re: Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

The ultimate solution here might be to bundle these in a 'downstream' distribution which uses OpenSim as a base and
targets a particular use case (e.g. new users).  OpenSim itself is already very difficult to maintain and doesn't have
the ultimate goal of being an out-of-the-box project.  Our current situation is something of a compromise.

On 16/11/10 02:15, Ai Austin wrote:

> Folks, can I open a discussion on this... a lot of people have issues with a few "key" modules that pretty much anyone
> using OpenSim need sort is likely to want. If there are out of the box solutions (even very basic ones) for these
> included in te distruibuition and checked as working with each checkpoint released, it would make OpenSim MUCH MUCH
> easier to configure and use. Then the more sophisticated and optional variants could be introduced for those with the
> skill. Keeping some of these modules outside the standard distribution is just making life awkward for many.
>
> I suggest the key modules at least are:
>
> groups (use flotsam as default)
> offline IM (use flotsam as default)
> profile (use osprofile)
> basic avatar registration and admin (suggest to use Diva Wifi)
> voice (mumble when its working, freeswitch for now?)
> others?

Re: Out of the box "core" and "necessary" modules

justincc
On 17/11/10 02:54, Jor3l Boa wrote:
> Justin, why something like Offline messages needs an external service to work?, It's pretty simple compared to other
> things OS is doing :)

A fair amount of the complicated stuff OS is doing is tightly coupled and hard to divide up (e.g. scene handling code).
  With something like offline messages there is already a clear service division, and it's not something that is
absolutely critical for a standalone (which is OpenSim's 'demo' configuration).

Some OpenSim uses have no need for offline messages, while other uses will want much more complicated solutions.  One
can argue that adding this kind of thing to OpenSim core increases the maintenance burden for everybody, even though
it's something only a certain percentage will be interested in.

You could say that putting everything in OpenSim is like trying to bundle everything with Apache.  Instead of having
just a webserver, they could have gone down the road of bundling scripting languages, management tools, consoles, etc.
Of course, it's definitely not a perfect analogy but I think it does convey the advantages of not trying to do
everything for everybody, instead leaving that to other projects which use an HTTPD server as a component (just as we
embed one in OpenSim!)