Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Justin Clark-Casey
Hi folks,

Because I'm the exception that proves the rule, I spent quite a lot of time today overhauling the basic OpenSim wiki
configuration instructions at

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration

I deleted a lot of the old out-of-date misleading information and tried to simplify the text.  I also removed some
information that is better explained in the various .ini.example files.  At this stage, experience suggests that
duplicating this information on the wiki just leads to it becoming stale and misleading.

I've also added addition text for standalone setup instructions in 0.7-rc1 and onwards (these are also in the README.txt
file in the OpenSim distribution - in this case I think the duplication is better than not).

I haven't yet added 0.7-rc1 grid setup instructions though I have added an extra notice on how they've probably changed.
  In fact, these will be simpler in the future since a basic setup now only requires you to start up a single Robust.exe
(thanks Melanie :)

If people want to take a look over it that would be great (or even update it if necessary).  I think that we should keep
this page as simple as reasonably possible and shunt more advanced information over to other pages (preferably with an
entry in the main user page at

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/User_Documentation

as well.

Re: Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Mespelt, Don
Wow.  All of your documentation made sense to a newb like me.  Great job in simplifying it.  (Especially the Robust and legacy servers and thanks for talking about the config-include directory)

I seem to remember the Diva distribution being on there though.  That was really helpful as it just plain ran without any real setup work and it was great to learn from. (Thank you Diva) From there I moved up because of my needs but it was a great starter.  People also talked about the Opensim in a box version too but I never tried it.

Your section on 'Standalone vs. Grid' and 'Attaching your sim to someone else's grid' answered my 'silly' question from earlier this week.  :)  Though I do wonder if all the regions show on the same map no matter what region you are in, gotta try that out...

Groups was really cool once I got it working though it isn't addressed (Permissions Configuration?)

Maybe a disclaimer on what OS seems to work best?  Ubuntu, Cent, Windows.... etc.  and for which server since I run the Regions on Windows and .net and the Robust servers on ubuntu and mono 2.6.

Just wanted to give you some feedback from a novice prospective as I can't really help out with the severe techie stuff that is on here.  It's very simplistic, concise and packed full of good stuff!

Thanks Justin, lots of work here and it shows!

My kids really thought this was fun this year and I think they learned a bit of scripting while playing inworld.

- Don

Re: Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Diva Canto
Great job, Justin! Thank you!

On 6/18/2010 6:49 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Because I'm the exception that proves the rule, I spent quite a lot of
> time today overhauling the basic OpenSim wiki configuration
> instructions at
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
>
> I deleted a lot of the old out-of-date misleading information and
> tried to simplify the text.  I also removed some information that is
> better explained in the various .ini.example files.  At this stage,
> experience suggests that duplicating this information on the wiki just
> leads to it becoming stale and misleading.
>
> I've also added addition text for standalone setup instructions in
> 0.7-rc1 and onwards (these are also in the README.txt file in the
> OpenSim distribution - in this case I think the duplication is better
> than not).
>
> I haven't yet added 0.7-rc1 grid setup instructions though I have
> added an extra notice on how they've probably changed.  In fact, these
> will be simpler in the future since a basic setup now only requires
> you to start up a single Robust.exe (thanks Melanie :)
>
> If people want to take a look over it that would be great (or even
> update it if necessary).  I think that we should keep this page as
> simple as reasonably possible and shunt more advanced information over
> to other pages (preferably with an entry in the main user page at
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/User_Documentation
>
> as well.

Re: Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructionson the wiki

Damon Hindermann
I'm so glad someone did this.  When I started about a month ago,  it took me
a couple of days to get things going since I was doing stuff that didn't
need to be done.  So much incorrect information wasted a lot of time.

Thanks!
-Damon

Re: Overhauled some of the basic OpenSim instructions on the wiki

Robert Klein
Thanks Justin!! Excellent documentation and taking the time to explain the concepts really helps.

-Robert