Parcel permissions not working

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
Is there any reason why parcel permissions would not be working the way they should?  I am using OpenSim 0.8.0 Dev, which was installed and configured by my hosting company.

I can't set parcel permissions to prevent other avatars from rezzing, building, or editing terrain in the parcel, and I can't ban public access.  However banning specific users does work.

I've been using parcel permissions in SL for ten years and I've used them in my personal OpenSim 0.7.5 grid, so I know how they should work.  However in this commercial grid I'm building for a client, I can't get them working and my hosting company hasn't yet found a solution.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Parcel permissions not working

Oren Hurvitz
As it happens I've just been working with these permissions, so I'm certain that they do work. I found bugs in how parcel permissions for Groups are implemented, but not with permissions for all users.

Note that users who have a God level (UserLevel > 0), or users who are the owners of the region/parcel/estate, have full permissions to build on the parcel. So when you test, make sure your test avatar isn't a god or owner,

Re: Parcel permissions not working

James Stallings II

Hi Oren,

Thanks for the current testing and status confirmation on this issue.

We have been exceptionally careful in testing (we've been testing primarily banlists and building/rezzing), and due to the intermittent nature of the issues we've neccesarily had to repeat the tests many times.

We've also seen some other issues with the installation, obscure error messages (inter-simulation communications related) that suggest that the issues may not be with opensim at all. My suspicion is that the on-board network interface requires a windows driver to function properly, i.e., 'the target operating system is not fully supported on this hardware'.

Time will tell, as I'm having them reloaded this morning.

I'll get back to this list with findings once I have something to report.

Thanks again, Oren :)

Cheers
James/Hiro