Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

scotto

Hello O Knowledgeable Ones,

I’ve brought this up before, but am still trying to get a solution that works well.  Here’s my situation:

I have a bot server that does a number of things, and bots that do a number of things, including a pedagogical agent bot that can evaluate data models (ERDs) for students and give them feedback on the correctness of their submission.  This works now in a vacuum, but is not connected to my agent avatar.  What I need to be able to do, is pass a file from an avatar controlled by a human, to my pedagogical agent bot.

One suggestion is to use notecards to pass the file name from the avatar to OpenSIM, then for my application to grab the name from the notecard and upload the user’s file.  This is not straightforward, since the bot application is running on the server, and the browser (i.e., Imprudence) is running on the client’s computer.

Any suggestions on how this might be done would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

scotto…

--

Scott Overmyer, PhD

Professor, Computer Science

Acting Co-Chair of Physics

Nazarbayev University

53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

Astana, 010000

Kazakhstan

Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68

Email: [hidden email]

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Teravus Ovares
Sounds like another option here would be to utilize a web service to
do the upload to your bot.    I'm not sure if Imprudence has moap
implemented..    If it is implemented in imprudence then that may be
an option also.  If not, you may simply have your students click on
something which gives them a link..  that when they click on it..
opens a browser window that they can upload their file to which gets
sent to your bot.

Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello O Knowledgeable Ones,
>

> I’ve brought this up before, but am still trying to get a solution that
> works well.  Here’s my situation:
>

> I have a bot server that does a number of things, and bots that do a number
> of things, including a pedagogical agent bot that can evaluate data models
> (ERDs) for students and give them feedback on the correctness of their
> submission.  This works now in a vacuum, but is not connected to my agent
> avatar.  What I need to be able to do, is pass a file from an avatar
> controlled by a human, to my pedagogical agent bot.
>

> One suggestion is to use notecards to pass the file name from the avatar to
> OpenSIM, then for my application to grab the name from the notecard and
> upload the user’s file.  This is not straightforward, since the bot
> application is running on the server, and the browser (i.e., Imprudence) is
> running on the client’s computer.
>

> Any suggestions on how this might be done would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
>
> scotto…
>
> --
>
> Scott Overmyer, PhD
>
> Professor, Computer Science
>
> Acting Co-Chair of Physics
>
> Nazarbayev University
>
> 53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>
> Astana, 010000
>
> Kazakhstan
>
> Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68
>
> Email: [hidden email]

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Michael Emory Cerquoni
MOAP is not implemented in Imprudence viewer.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds like another option here would be to utilize a web service to
do the upload to your bot.    I'm not sure if Imprudence has moap
implemented..    If it is implemented in imprudence then that may be
an option also.  If not, you may simply have your students click on
something which gives them a link..  that when they click on it..
opens a browser window that they can upload their file to which gets
sent to your bot.

Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello O Knowledgeable Ones,
>

> I’ve brought this up before, but am still trying to get a solution that
> works well.  Here’s my situation:
>

> I have a bot server that does a number of things, and bots that do a number
> of things, including a pedagogical agent bot that can evaluate data models
> (ERDs) for students and give them feedback on the correctness of their
> submission.  This works now in a vacuum, but is not connected to my agent
> avatar.  What I need to be able to do, is pass a file from an avatar
> controlled by a human, to my pedagogical agent bot.
>

> One suggestion is to use notecards to pass the file name from the avatar to
> OpenSIM, then for my application to grab the name from the notecard and
> upload the user’s file.  This is not straightforward, since the bot
> application is running on the server, and the browser (i.e., Imprudence) is
> running on the client’s computer.
>

> Any suggestions on how this might be done would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Best regards,
>
> scotto…
>
> --
>
> Scott Overmyer, PhD
>
> Professor, Computer Science
>
> Acting Co-Chair of Physics
>
> Nazarbayev University
>
> 53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>
> Astana, 010000
>
> Kazakhstan
>
> Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68
>
> Email: [hidden email]

Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

scotto
Does MOAP provide for file passing in a different way?

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Michael Emory Cerquoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
MOAP is not implemented in Imprudence viewer.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds like another option here would be to utilize a web service to
do the upload to your bot.    I'm not sure if Imprudence has moap
implemented..    If it is implemented in imprudence then that may be
an option also.  If not, you may simply have your students click on
something which gives them a link..  that when they click on it..
opens a browser window that they can upload their file to which gets
sent to your bot.

Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello O Knowledgeable Ones,
>

> I’ve brought this up before, but am still trying to get a solution that
> works well.  Here’s my situation:
>

> I have a bot server that does a number of things, and bots that do a number
> of things, including a pedagogical agent bot that can evaluate data models
> (ERDs) for students and give them feedback on the correctness of their
> submission.  This works now in a vacuum, but is not connected to my agent
> avatar.  What I need to be able to do, is pass a file from an avatar
> controlled by a human, to my pedagogical agent bot.
>

> One suggestion is to use notecards to pass the file name from the avatar to
> OpenSIM, then for my application to grab the name from the notecard and
> upload the user’s file.  This is not straightforward, since the bot
> application is running on the server, and the browser (i.e., Imprudence) is
> running on the client’s computer.
>

> Any suggestions on how this might be done would be greatly appreciated.

> Best regards,
>
> scotto…
>
> --
>
> Scott Overmyer, PhD
>
> Professor, Computer Science
>

> Acting Co-Chair of Physics
>
> Nazarbayev University
>
> 53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>
> Astana, 010000
>
> Kazakhstan
>
> Tel: <a href="tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68" target="_blank" value="+77212706568">+7 (7212) 70-65-68
>
> Email: [hidden email]

Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Teravus Ovares
 M(edia)O(n)AP(rim) just allows you to easily have web pages displayed
in 3d space.

Best Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does MOAP provide for file passing in a different way?
>

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Michael Emory Cerquoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> MOAP is not implemented in Imprudence viewer.
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sounds like another option here would be to utilize a web service to
>>> do the upload to your bot.    I'm not sure if Imprudence has moap
>>> implemented..    If it is implemented in imprudence then that may be
>>> an option also.  If not, you may simply have your students click on
>>> something which gives them a link..  that when they click on it..
>>> opens a browser window that they can upload their file to which gets
>>> sent to your bot.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Teravus

>> --
>> Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Teravus Ovares
 I'd like to just append one thing to that last email,
M(edia)O(n)AP(rim) just allows you to easily have INTERACTIVE web
pages displayed
in 3d space, on a prim.

Best Regards again!

Teravus

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  M(edia)O(n)AP(rim) just allows you to easily have web pages displayed
> in 3d space.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Teravus
>
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Does MOAP provide for file passing in a different way?
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Michael Emory Cerquoni
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> MOAP is not implemented in Imprudence viewer.

>>> --
>>> Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

scotto
Got it, thanks!  I was looking at the wrong MOAP definition.

Is the capability to display and receive information from a webpage
described in the OpenSIM documentation?  I don't currently know how to
send information from a webpage to a particular bot.

Kind regards,
Scotto...

wrote:

appreciated.

>>> --
>>> Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Passing a File to libOpenMV from an OpenSIM Avatar

Teravus Ovares
 It's in the parcel settings.      SecondLife has a great set of
tutorials on how to use it:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:Shared_Media

As far as interfacing a web page with a bot, that could be part of the
program in the bot, or a separate service that's polled by your bot.
  You need to write a web page that accepts an upload, and uploads to
a place that your bot can read.

Hopefully this helps

Best Regards

Teravus