Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

TasPerth
I'm running a standalone OpenSim on a Debian 4 (upgraded to 5 to get ODE to not crash) OpenVZ vps. It works swimmingly, but for one somewhat show-stopping problem... My avatar is permanently "ghost'ed". However, If I log via a second viewer to a diff account on the sim, I see "me" fine, and from "my" viewer, I see the second avi fine. This all started when I created a new skin from some full perm skin tga's I brought over from SL. I also created a new shape at about the same time, and since then, I've been ghosted.. I tried doing the same "new skin/new shape" for my second account, and now, when both are logged in simultaneously, each viewer can "see" the other viewers avi normally, but each viewers own avi is ghosted... Have tried upgrading the sim code to the latest version, but havent been successful yet.. Since I don't understand the underlying mechanism that OpenSim uses to pass textures etc between the sim and viewers, I'm baffled as to why this is occurring... Is this a known problem? and is there any relatively painless fix???

Tas

Re: Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

Diva Canto
There has been a lot of work in appearance management recently. If you happen to have gotten a buggy SVN revision, that will happen. An upgrade is the only solution.

Tasman Perth wrote:
[...]

Charles Krinke-3
There is a command to be run from the debug console. I dont remember the exact name but it is something like setting renderUnloadedAvatar = true. Perhaps someone with more client knowledge can help us understand what it happening here.

Charles

Tasman Perth wrote:
[...]

Jürgen Hamel
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:55:40 -0800
Tasman Perth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My avatar is permanently "ghost'ed". However, If I
> log via a second viewer to a diff account on the sim, I see "me" fine, and
> from "my" viewer, I see the second avi fine. This all started when I created
> a new skin from some full perm skin tga's I brought over from SL. I also
> created a new shape at about the same time, and since then, I've been
> ghosted..
Hi, perhaps this will help:
the clients have an advanced menu, you can turn it on on linux with

ctrl-shift-alt-d

there is a menu-item called "character", in that submenu the last
is "Rebake Textures". click on them, that should help

Jürgen

--
Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org

Re: Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

Mo Hax
Rebake doesn't fix, btw. I also had this.

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Jürgen Hamel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:55:40 -0800
Tasman Perth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My avatar is permanently "ghost'ed". However, If I
> log via a second viewer to a diff account on the sim, I see "me" fine, and
> from "my" viewer, I see the second avi fine. This all started when I created
> a new skin from some full perm skin tga's I brought over from SL. I also
> created a new shape at about the same time, and since then, I've been
> ghosted..
Hi, perhaps this will help:
the clients have an advanced menu, you can turn it on on linux with

ctrl-shift-alt-d

there is a menu-item called "character", in that submenu the last
is "Rebake Textures". click on them, that should help

Jürgen

--
Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org

Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

John Hopkin
Also try "Advanced -> Character -> Character tests -> Test Male" (or
Female), then wear your own shape, skin, etc.  That trick got me out
of trouble the other day, although that was in SL.

Mo Hax wrote:

>Rebake doesn't fix, btw. I also had this.
>
>On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Jürgen Hamel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:55:40 -0800
>> Tasman Perth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > My avatar is permanently "ghost'ed". However, If I
>> > log via a second viewer to a diff account on the sim, I see "me" fine,
>> and
>> > from "my" viewer, I see the second avi fine. This all started when I
>> created
>> > a new skin from some full perm skin tga's I brought over from SL. I also
>> > created a new shape at about the same time, and since then, I've been
>> > ghosted..
>> Hi, perhaps this will help:
>> the clients have an advanced menu, you can turn it on on linux with
>>
>> ctrl-shift-alt-d
>>

>> there is a menu-item called "character", in that submenu the last
>> is "Rebake Textures". click on them, that should help
>>
>> Jürgen
>>

>> --
>> Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
>> Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org

John Hopkin

Re: Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

TasPerth
>Also try "Advanced -> Character -> Character tests -> Test Male" (or
>Female), then wear your own shape, skin, etc. That trick got me out
>of trouble the other day, although that was in SL.

Alas, that did not work..Thinking of possibly it being related to
the improvements to avatar issues that one poster to this thread
mentioned earlier, I tried upgrading to the listed r8542, copied all
my terrain/OpenSim.ini/and regions.xml stuff over to the new version.
Since I'm using a local instance of MySQL for all assets, I didnt copy
the SQLite db files. Upon start up, I'm still ghosted, but the scary part
was that none of my builds were there.. The terrain was right, but nothing
prim-wise. I'm pretty sure I did the upgrade as recommended.. I rolled back
to the old version, and everything prim-wise was back, of course, I'm still
ghosty... Oh Well..

Tas

Re: Permanent Ghosting of Avatar..

jon cundill
Hi

I've been suffering with this for the past few SVN revisions - only thing that worked for me was to clear the viewer cache http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_Page#Clearing_Second_Life.27s_cache
stopped being a friendly ghost after that :)

jonc