PhysX for Physics

Joshua Rubeck
It appears to be that OpenSimulator has its own built from scratch physics engine. My question is would it be possible to use(of course applying the proper development to it) the Nvidia PhysX engine? It was one of the things my grid admins have been discussing but they arent sure if its possible to use, its a free software but that doesnt mean it will work with the type of platform OpenSim is.

Re: PhysX for Physics

R.Gunther
Correct me if am wrong.
But PhysX is videocard based. So lets say PhysX works only client side.
In that case i dont see how you want to use it with opensim. Serverside is not a good idea. many dedicated servers dont have
Graphics onboard with PhysX support. So it would only work for people that have the right card installed.

On 2012-10-18 13:34, Joshua Rubeck wrote:
It appears to be that OpenSimulator has its own built from scratch physics engine. My question is would it be possible to use(of course applying the proper development to it) the Nvidia PhysX engine? It was one of the things my grid admins have been discussing but they arent sure if its possible to use, its a free software but that doesnt mean it will work with the type of platform OpenSim is.

Re: PhysX for Physics

Michael Emory Cerquoni
Joshua,

OpenSimulator has 2 physics engines that are not built from scratch for OpenSim, the 1st is Open Dynamics Engine (ODE), and the second is Bullet which is also a widely used physics engine.  Both have been modified for use with OpenSimulator but are not built from scratch specifically for this project.

R.Gunther,
There is a software/CPU version of PhysX a well as GPu based versions, you would likely need to get the software version working before you would even think about adding GPu support for it.

On 2012-10-18 13:34, Joshua Rubeck wrote:
It appears to be that OpenSimulator has its own built from scratch physics engine. My question is would it be possible to use(of course applying the proper development to it) the Nvidia PhysX engine? It was one of the things my grid admins have been discussing but they arent sure if its possible to use, its a free software but that doesnt mean it will work with the type of platform OpenSim is.

Michael Emory Cerquoni

Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds
Division of Continuing Studies (DoCS)