Physics quit working?

Chris Kennedy-2
I have noticed that since the November or December series of git revisions (0.7.9 Dev) , prim physics of any kind seem to quit working.
Whenever I create a new prim, raise it up in the air a bit, and then check the 'Physical' check box under object parameters the prim just stays in the air. If i edit the prim, I find that the Physical check box has become unchecked. I have checked my OpenSim.ini for the physics settings and it seems to be correct. I've tried other physics engines as well to no avail. I did some research on it and the only thing close to my problem that I could find was that bad sculpties can cause physics to quit working. So I completely emptied my regions (after backing up oars of course) to get rid of any possible bad sculpted objects, restarted OpenSim, and prim physics still exhibits this bizzare behavior. After this, I backed my MySQL database up to a sql file, deleted the databse for OpenSim, limited my regions to just one region, and ran OpenSim again through initial setup of a new database, logged in, and prim physics is still showing the same symptoms. I can walk, run, jump, fly, etc. just fine. It just seems that physics for prims is gone.

Has anything changed recently with the configuration/setup for physics? This has been a real head scratcher for me lol.

Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Physics quit working?

John Mieske
Uhmmm wow, did I miss something ?  I thought 6.8 ( Post - Fixes ) from OpenSimulator.org was the latest version there and 6.9 ( DEV ) from OSGrid.org was the latest there. Did I miss something ?

John

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Physics quit working?

Chris Kennedy-2

Re: Physics quit working?

John Mieske
that actually is great to know.. ty    :-)
I'm still at Post-Fixes 6.8 and so far its stable and smooth.. I love that version so far. ( Linux Debian 5 )

John

Re: Physics quit working?

Chris Kennedy-2
Lol, sorry for the scare there :)

So physics is working for you on 0.6.8 post fixes? I wonder why it decided to quit working for me in the later gits...

Re: Physics quit working?

John Sheridan
I had this issue with the trunk a few months ago.  Per chance, are you
still using xml files for your region's config?  In my case I found the
solution was to go around and redo all of the RegionName.xml files into
the new style Regions.ini.  After doing so physics magically began
working again.

John Mieske wrote:

> Physics I have not ever had running 100% yet. They show on the opensim
> website that its not 100% supported yet. So not sure on that yet.
>
> john
>
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Lol, sorry for the scare there :)
>
>     So physics is working for you on 0.6.8 post fixes? I wonder why it
>     decided to quit working for me in the later gits...

Re: Physics quit working?

Chris Kennedy-2
Aha! Yes, I am still ysing the XML style of configuration... Thanks a lot! I
will give this a try :)

>I had this issue with the trunk a few months ago.  Per chance, are you
> still using xml files for your region's config?  In my case I found the
> solution was to go around and redo all of the RegionName.xml files into
> the new style Regions.ini.  After doing so physics magically began
> working again.
>

> John Mieske wrote:
>> Physics I have not ever had running 100% yet. They show on the opensim
>> website that its not 100% supported yet. So not sure on that yet.
>>
>> john
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Lol, sorry for the scare there :)
>>
>>     So physics is working for you on 0.6.8 post fixes? I wonder why it
>>     decided to quit working for me in the later gits...

Re: Physics quit working?

Chris Kennedy-2
I switched over my XML regions to the Regions.ini file, and physics is
working like a charm :) Thank you so much!

>I had this issue with the trunk a few months ago.  Per chance, are you
> still using xml files for your region's config?  In my case I found the
> solution was to go around and redo all of the RegionName.xml files into
> the new style Regions.ini.  After doing so physics magically began
> working again.
>

> John Mieske wrote:
>> Physics I have not ever had running 100% yet. They show on the opensim
>> website that its not 100% supported yet. So not sure on that yet.
>>
>> john
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Lol, sorry for the scare there :)
>>
>>     So physics is working for you on 0.6.8 post fixes? I wonder why it
>>     decided to quit working for me in the later gits...

Re: Physics quit working?

j_jamesk

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but why should having the region config in an XML file break physics?
from what i have seen of both the ini file and XML file, they are essentially just text files with config settings in them?

Does having multiple XML files actually have a negative effect on the opensim engine?

Regard

James

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:43:01 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Physics quit working?
>
> I switched over my XML regions to the Regions.ini file, and physics is
> working like a charm :) Thank you so much!

Re: Physics quit working?

John Sheridan
James,
  I have no idea tbh.  If anything it was dumb luck that I found it.  I
had just updated to the latest trunk when I discovered that physics
weren't working on some of my sims but were fine on the newer ones I'd
recently brought online.  The only difference in configuration between
them (other then the database lines on OpenSim.ini) were the region
configs.  After converting those from xml to ini the problem went away.

Thanks, :)

 - John / Orion Pseudo

James k wrote:

> Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject, but why should
> having the region config in an XML file break physics?
> from what i have seen of both the ini file and XML file, they are
> essentially just text files with config settings in them?
>
> Does having multiple XML files actually have a negative effect on the
> opensim engine?
>
> Regard
>
> James
>

> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:43:01 -0600
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Physics quit working?
> >
> > I switched over my XML regions to the Regions.ini file, and physics is
> > working like a charm :) Thank you so much!

Re: Physics quit working?

Karen_Palen
I too am guessing, but I would expect that if you look in detail at the two sets of files you will find some snippet of information that is in one but not the other.

Another possibility with FOSS code is to actually look at the source code! OpensSim is fairly readable and quite well commented.

I think that both the XML and INI files are processed with the same code after parsing into the system. If not then that would likely explain the difference.

Karen