Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hey there, since we are on the topic of AOs, I thought I could just drop this question. When I try to play a series of animations one after the other to create a long one (potentially without any time limits), during the first pass ... there are jumps between the individual animation segments. Is there some kind of hack to preload animations so that when they do get played the first, the whole animation seems fluid. Things do work perfectly fine after the first pass though... but for users, it must annoying ... for machinima makers, it's ok, we can ignore the silliness to happen during the first pass and then record during the second one ...any ideas/thoughts?

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

justincc
I was curious about this topic so I did do a quick google "animation delay second life"

 From the look of [1], it seems that this is an unresolved problem with Second Life in general, unless some other
animation preload function has been implemented in the meantime.

My purely hypothetical guess is that the viewer is told the animation reference ID and only then loads it from the
simulator if it doesn't have it, resulting in the delay.

On 13/01/12 17:19, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hey there, since we are on the topic of AOs, I thought I could just drop this question. When I try to play a series of
> animations one after the other to create a long one (potentially without any time limits), during the first pass ...
> there are jumps between the individual animation segments. Is there some kind of hack to preload animations so that when
> they do get played the first, the whole animation seems fluid. Things do work perfectly fine after the first pass
> though... but for users, it must annoying ... for machinima makers, it's ok, we can ignore the silliness to happen
> during the first pass and then record during the second one ...any ideas/thoughts?
>
> --
> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University,
> Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

M.E. Verhagen
The limitation on the lenght of the animations is a viewer limit, I believe in the upload animations part. I am not sure if there are viewer wich allow uploading larger animations.

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Marcus Llewellyn

It occurs to me that a possible workaround would be to use an
invisible/hidden NPC or bot that was within range. Just have it cycle
though and play the animations before the initial actual performance.
I'm guessing it wouldn't even need to play completely through any single
animation, but just start and then stop each in semi- rapid succession.
This should cause any viewer nearby to download and cache the animation.

I wouldn't call this ideal... you can hide the NPC, but not it's nametag
or the fact that it'll show up on people's radars, and it isn't
something I've actually tried myself.

Marcus

1/16/2012 3:46 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> I was curious about this topic so I did do a quick google "animation
> delay second life"
>
> From the look of [1], it seems that this is an unresolved problem with
> Second Life in general, unless some other animation preload function
> has been implemented in the meantime.
>
> My purely hypothetical guess is that the viewer is told the animation
> reference ID and only then loads it from the simulator if it doesn't
> have it, resulting in the delay.
>
> On 13/01/12 17:19, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hey there, since we are on the topic of AOs, I thought I could just
>> drop this question. When I try to play a series of
>> animations one after the other to create a long one (potentially
>> without any time limits), during the first pass ...
>> there are jumps between the individual animation segments. Is there
>> some kind of hack to preload animations so that when
>> they do get played the first, the whole animation seems fluid. Things
>> do work perfectly fine after the first pass
>> though... but for users, it must annoying ... for machinima makers,
>> it's ok, we can ignore the silliness to happen
>> during the first pass and then record during the second one ...any
>> ideas/thoughts?
>>
>> --
>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
>> /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University,
>> Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
>> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
>> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile
>> <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hi Markus,
I did not think about stopping an anim as soon as it starts, that could be a good possible solution for pre loading. The NPC soln is cool too (I did think about this option), but am waiting to see what Linden Lab's Humble will produce in terms of NPC in Second Life. He promised that it will be easy to be bring in non-player characters and I hope it won't be just a prim with preset path finding algos...but an actual avatar will full capabilities.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:00 AM, Marcus Llewellyn <[hidden email]> wrote:

It occurs to me that a possible workaround would be to use an invisible/hidden NPC or bot that was within range. Just have it cycle though and play the animations before the initial actual performance.  I'm guessing it wouldn't even need to play completely through any single animation, but just start and then stop each in semi- rapid succession. This should cause any viewer nearby to download and cache the animation.

I wouldn't call this ideal... you can hide the NPC, but not it's nametag or the fact that it'll show up on people's radars, and it isn't something I've actually tried myself.

Marcus

1/16/2012 3:46 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
I was curious about this topic so I did do a quick google "animation delay second life"

From the look of [1], it seems that this is an unresolved problem with Second Life in general, unless some other animation preload function has been implemented in the meantime.

[...]

Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040
Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
<http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Ovi Chris Rouly
Hi Ramesh,

Can you point to a source where I might read about Humble, NPC, and SL?  I am curious about what his plans might entail.

Cheers,

Chris
[...]

From the look of [1], it seems that this is an unresolved problem with Second Life in general, unless some other animation preload function has been implemented in the meantime.

[...]

Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <A href="tel:208-240-0040" target=_blank value="+12082400040">208-240-0040
Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
<http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Playing a series of animations back to back to create a long one

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Some info here
http://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2011/10/virtual-life-npc-features-coming-to-second-life.html

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Ovi Chris Rouly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From the look of [1], it seems that this is an unresolved problem with Second Life in general, unless some other animation preload function has been implemented in the meantime.

[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040