Ports for streaming audio

Garrett Lynch
hi

Any networking people here?  Could you tell me what ports need to be opened to enable parcel streaming audio in OpenSim inside a university network?  It's in the 8000 region isn't it, just not too sure what the range is.  Thanks in advance.

Garrett

Re: Ports for streaming audio

R. Gunther
On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 14:52 +0100, Garrett Lynch wrote:
> hi
>
> Any networking people here?  Could you tell me what ports need to be opened to enable parcel streaming audio in OpenSim inside a university network?  It's in the 8000 region isn't it, just not too sure what the range is.  Thanks in advance.

This depends on how you have configured the streaming server.
Opensim itself dont stream the audio. it only relay the url where the
viewer can find the streaming server. Best to look on what port your
streaming server works.

You can also first test the streaming audio with a seperate streaming
client.

Re: Ports for streaming audio

James Stallings II
Hi Garret,

The parcel doesn't actually stream any audio, and requires no ports be opened for that purpose, at least as regards opensim. What -does- happen is that the parcel passes the viewer an address for a music or other audio stream, and the viewer then acts as a player for that stream.

Cheers
James

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Garrett Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi

Any networking people here?  Could you tell me what ports need to be opened to enable parcel streaming audio in OpenSim inside a university network?  It's in the 8000 region isn't it, just not too sure what the range is.  Thanks in advance.

Garrett

Re: Ports for streaming audio

Mike Chase
On 06/15/2011 09:52 AM, Garrett Lynch wrote:
> hi
>
> Any networking people here?  Could you tell me what ports need to be opened to enable parcel streaming audio in OpenSim inside a university network?  It's in the 8000 region isn't it, just not too sure what the range is.  Thanks in advance.

Usually around 8000 though it depends on the shoutcast provider.

Mike
> Garrett

Re: Ports for streaming audio

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Hey Garrett
Check out

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Streaming_Media_in_OpenSim

Lindy

Re: Ports for streaming audio

Garrett Lynch
hi all

> The parcel doesn't actually stream any audio, and requires no ports be
> opened for that purpose, at least as regards opensim. What -does- happen is
> that the parcel passes the viewer an address for a music or other audio
> stream, and the viewer then acts as a player for that stream.
>
> Cheers
> James

> Usually around 8000 though it depends on the shoutcast provider.
>
> Mike

Ah this was my fear so it could be any port even though most (for some reason) use around 8000.  The stream I've put on my parcel works at home (no firewall) but doesn't work at work (firewall), doesn't matter whether I use an OpenSim client or just an audio player.  I do want a fixed stream so I guess I'll just get that one port opened rather than a range which I was hoping for.  Thanks for all you help everyone.

Garrett