Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

justincc
Hello folks,

I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example file into separate files under the directory
config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.

The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure under config/ rather than all in a single directory.
Where possible the structure follows that of modules and assemblies in the codebase.

The idea is that all the built in OpenSim defaults will match the contents of the .ini.example files.  So where settings
are not given, the builtins can be safely used.  This means that the main bin/OpenSim.ini is reduced to only the
settings that 95% of people use (at the moment, [Startup], [Network], [StandAlone]).

If you did want to change one of the more advanced settings in config/, then you would copy (or rename) that file to
.ini or copy and paste the settings to bin/OpenSim.ini.  For example, the file

user/chat/chat.ini.example

contains only the in world chat configuration parameters.  If you wanted to change the whisper distance to 100m you
would copy this file to

user/chat/chat.ini

and edit the setting.  All .ini files in the config/ directory will get picked up by OpenSim in addition to bin/OpenSim.ini

Please tell me what you think.  Expressions of agreement are as welcome as constructive criticism.  This restructuring
is largely unrelated to other --inimaster, etc. discussions.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Mike Mazur
Hi Justin,

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:31:57 +0000
Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example file
> into separate files under the directory config.preview.donotuseyet/.
> None of this is yet active.
>
> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure
> under config/ rather than all in a single directory. Where possible
> the structure follows that of modules and assemblies in the codebase.

In my opinion it's unnecessary to have a folder structure like this for
the config files. New users are likely to see that as overwhelming; in
fact, when I saw the commit message with all those new directories, I
felt a bit overwhelmed! And power users probably like to see all the
config files in one view for quicker access when editing.

I like a system like apache and lighttpd have on some systems. For
example, lighttpd on Debian has something like this:

  /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
  /etc/lighttpd/conf-available/*.conf
  /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled/*.conf

lighttpd will look in /etc/lighttpd for its config file, lighttpd.conf.
This file tells lighttpd to also load any configuration files found
in /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled. The directory
/etc/lighttpd/conf-available hold a bunch of "example" configs, akin to
the *.ini.example in OpenSim.

So in OpenSim, something similar could be achieved by:

  bin/config/OpenSim.ini
  bin/config/*.ini.example
  bin/config/*.ini

In this case, all .ini files in bin/config are loaded. This is in
effect the same as having conf-available and conf-enabled directories.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Tom Willans
Hi Justin,

I like the simplicity of having the one .ini file. A single file in a
single place easy to edit and easy to check all settings with say the
OSGRID version, or where I had a problem. I felt that this was a
strength was the simple of this approach. A single place also makes
it easy to know where and what file to check.  I have also needed to
check the script engine used, avatar settings and language settings
even as a fairly new user. It is nice to have a directory into which
the examples can be stored though.

Tom

On 11 Mar 2009, at 21:31, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example
> file into separate files under the directory
> config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.
>
> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure
> under config/ rather than all in a single directory.
> Where possible the structure follows that of modules and assemblies
> in the codebase.
>
> The idea is that all the built in OpenSim defaults will match the
> contents of the .ini.example files.  So where settings
> are not given, the builtins can be safely used.  This means that
> the main bin/OpenSim.ini is reduced to only the
> settings that 95% of people use (at the moment, [Startup],
> [Network], [StandAlone]).
>
> If you did want to change one of the more advanced settings in
> config/, then you would copy (or rename) that file to
> .ini or copy and paste the settings to bin/OpenSim.ini.  For
> example, the file
>
> user/chat/chat.ini.example
>
> contains only the in world chat configuration parameters.  If you
> wanted to change the whisper distance to 100m you
> would copy this file to
>
> user/chat/chat.ini
>
> and edit the setting.  All .ini files in the config/ directory will
> get picked up by OpenSim in addition to bin/OpenSim.ini
>
> Please tell me what you think.  Expressions of agreement are as
> welcome as constructive criticism.  This restructuring
> is largely unrelated to other --inimaster, etc. discussions.
>
> --
> justincc
> Justin Clark-Casey
> http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Paul Fishwick
I have to agree - what is the point of making it harder to locate variables
and settings that must be modified? From a user's perspective, the ideal
situation is a front-end GUI "wizard" that sets everything. Short of this,
having everything in one easy-to-remember location is the next best
option

Tom Willans wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> I like the simplicity of having the one .ini file. A single file in a
> single place easy to edit and easy to check all settings with say the
> OSGRID version, or where I had a problem. I felt that this was a
> strength was the simple of this approach. A single place also makes
> it easy to know where and what file to check.  I have also needed to
> check the script engine used, avatar settings and language settings
> even as a fairly new user. It is nice to have a directory into which
> the examples can be stored though.
>
> Tom
>
> On 11 Mar 2009, at 21:31, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>

>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example
>> file into separate files under the directory
>> config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.
>>
>> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure
>> under config/ rather than all in a single directory.
>> Where possible the structure follows that of modules and assemblies
>> in the codebase.
>>
>> The idea is that all the built in OpenSim defaults will match the
>> contents of the .ini.example files.  So where settings
>> are not given, the builtins can be safely used.  This means that
>> the main bin/OpenSim.ini is reduced to only the
>> settings that 95% of people use (at the moment, [Startup],
>> [Network], [StandAlone]).
>>
>> If you did want to change one of the more advanced settings in
>> config/, then you would copy (or rename) that file to
>> .ini or copy and paste the settings to bin/OpenSim.ini.  For
>> example, the file
>>
>> user/chat/chat.ini.example
>>
>> contains only the in world chat configuration parameters.  If you
>> wanted to change the whisper distance to 100m you
>> would copy this file to
>>
>> user/chat/chat.ini
>>
>> and edit the setting.  All .ini files in the config/ directory will
>> get picked up by OpenSim in addition to bin/OpenSim.ini
>>
>> Please tell me what you think.  Expressions of agreement are as
>> welcome as constructive criticism.  This restructuring
>> is largely unrelated to other --inimaster, etc. discussions.
>>
>> --
>> justincc
>> Justin Clark-Casey
>> http://justincc.wordpress.com

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Ovi Chris Rouly
I agree with Paul, et al.

Chris

> [...]
>>>
>>> Please tell me what you think.  Expressions of agreement are as
>>> welcome as constructive criticism.  This restructuring
>>> is largely unrelated to other --inimaster, etc. discussions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> justincc
>>> Justin Clark-Casey
>>> http://justincc.wordpress.com

> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Jürgen Hamel
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:40:10 -0400
Hi Paul,

Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have to agree - what is the point of making it harder to locate variables
> and settings that must be modified? From a user's perspective, the ideal
> situation is a front-end GUI "wizard" that sets everything. Short of this,
> having everything in one easy-to-remember location is the next best
> option
I do not agree, sorry.

A GUI is bad, my 3 sim server has no GUI and I think, a server do
not need a GUI.

And this OpenSim.ini file is to big, a better idea are some small
config files. but I do not think, every config file in one separate
directory, better is all config files in one directory, perhaps
opensim/config

bye
Jürgen

--
Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Paul Fishwick
Jurgen:

Jürgen Hamel wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:40:10 -0400
> Hi Paul,
>
> Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have to agree - what is the point of making it harder to locate variables
>> and settings that must be modified? From a user's perspective, the ideal
>> situation is a front-end GUI "wizard" that sets everything. Short of this,
>> having everything in one easy-to-remember location is the next best
>> option
>>
> I do not agree, sorry.

No problem.
> A GUI is bad, my 3 sim server has no GUI and I think, a server do
> not need a GUI.

how exactly is a GUI bad? All computer platforms using GUIs. The
connection to
to Opensim is a GUI (i.e., the viewer whether rex or LLviewer). Unix
platforms
such as Ubuntu offer GUIs for most configs.
> And this OpenSim.ini file is to big,
Too big for what?
> a better idea are some small
> config files.
Why? This simply places a burden on the user to have to remember which file
to edit for which particular functionality desired. It complicates
everything.
>  but I do not think, every config file in one separate
> directory, better is all config files in one directory, perhaps
> opensim/config

Looks like we are at a "usability" impasse :) perhaps others can join in and
we can see where we are.

-p

> bye
> Jürgen

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Jürgen Hamel
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:21:22 -0400
Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how exactly is a GUI bad? All computer platforms using GUIs. The
> connection to
> to Opensim is a GUI (i.e., the viewer whether rex or LLviewer). Unix
> platforms
> such as Ubuntu offer GUIs for most configs.
Sorry, perhaps I do something missunderstood. I think, we speak
about the opensim server, not the clients.

so, my server do not have a GUI, that are rented rootserver. I do
not install a GUI and complex clients to connect to them, simple a
terminal, ssh  and some nice bash files.

I know, that I can install a GUI, also perhaps freenx and use then
nxclient, but really, I am with this existing simple configuration
so much faster.

bye
Jürgen

--
Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Sean Hennessee
Paul Fishwick wrote:
Looks like we are at a "usability" impasse :) perhaps others can join in and
we can see where we are.

As far as the *default* ini/config files, I have no preference how they are organized, one file, one folder, multiple files and folders, whatever. What I do have a preference for is the ini/config file that I use to set all of *my* config values. I would prefer to have one ini/config file that has *all* of my settings that are different from the default settings and none of the values that are the same as default This file is normally small; so, it's not a problem to have all in one file. Since only I know what settings I choose to make different, I am okay with having to create it by hand, but it will need to be read last to make sure it overrides any default ini/config files and/or folders. If others prefer to modify the *default* ini/config files, more power to them, (and it should be allowed, IMHO).

~Sean
-p

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Paul Fishwick
+1 on this. This would make life a lot easier than having to continually
re-edit opensim.ini
-p

Sean Hennessee wrote:

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
>> Looks like we are at a "usability" impasse :) perhaps others can join in and
>> we can see where we are.
>>
> As far as the **default** ini/config files, I have no preference how
> they are organized, one file, one folder, multiple files and folders,
> whatever. What I do have a preference for is the ini/config file that
> I use to set all of **my** config values. I would prefer to have one
> ini/config file that has **all** of my settings that are different
> from the default settings and none of the values that are the same as
> default This file is normally small; so, it's not a problem to have
> all in one file. Since only I know what settings I choose to make
> different, I am okay with having to create it by hand, but it will
> need to be read last to make sure it overrides any default ini/config
> files and/or folders. If others prefer to modify the **default**
> ini/config files, more power to them, (and it should be allowed, IMHO).
>
> ~Sean
>> -p
>>

> --
>
> Sean Hennessee
> Central Computing Support
> Network & Academic Computing Services
> UC Irvine
>

> ... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: [Opensim-dev] Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Dr Scofield
Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example file into separate files under the directory
> config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.
>
> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure under config/ rather than all in a single directory.
> Where possible the structure follows that of modules and assemblies in the codebase.

hmm... i'd much prefer to have them in just *folder*...possibly *two*: one with
the active config files, one with the inactive ones. also OpenSim.ini should
live in that folder then

        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: [Opensim-dev] Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Robert Klein
Yes I can definitely see where having a reduced "needs only" ini file would be nice, but I am a command line kind of guy as I am sure many of the NIX people are thus copying and pasting between files is a pain for us sometimes so it is pretty nice to have it all in one OpenSim.ini file. Generally in a NIX environment a server does not run any type of Xwindows layer to keep the overhead down since we usually shell in, do our thing with vi or some text editor and exit off. How NIX admins approach their systems can be very different than Windows admins. What about a web based interface as a compromise? Most of us run web servers for the login, support, helper etc. pages anyway. Just a thought.

-Robert

Dr Scofield wrote
Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example file into separate files under the directory
> config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.
>
> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure under config/ rather than all in a single directory.
> Where possible the structure follows that of modules and assemblies in the codebase.

hmm... i'd much prefer to have them in just *folder*...possibly *two*: one with
the active config files, one with the inactive ones. also OpenSim.ini should
live in that folder then

        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield@xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: hud@zurich.ibm.com - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: [Opensim-dev] Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

me-4-2
I'd love a web based interface. I could even help write one ... once
I can figure out how to get my OpenSim configured and starting up
properly. I have found lots of instructions on how to do that, and
somewhere in there is the correct set. :-)

On Mar 14, 2009, at 5:06 PM, Robert Klein wrote:

> Yes I can definitely see where having a reduced "needs only" ini
> file would
> be nice, but I am a command line kind of guy as I am sure many of
> the NIX
> people are thus copying and pasting between files is a pain for us
> sometimes
> so it is pretty nice to have it all in one OpenSim.ini file.
> Generally in a
> NIX environment a server does not run any type of Xwindows layer to
> keep the
> overhead down since we usually shell in, do our thing with vi or
> some text
> editor and exit off. How NIX admins approach their systems can be very
> different than Windows admins. What about a web based interface as a
> compromise? Most of us run web servers for the login, support,
> helper etc.
> pages anyway. Just a thought.
>
> -Robert
>

> Dr Scofield wrote:
>>
>> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>> Hello folks,
>>>
>>> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example
>>> file
>>> into separate files under the directory
>>> config.preview.donotuseyet/.  None of this is yet active.
>>>
>>> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure
>>> under
>>> config/ rather than all in a single directory.
>>> Where possible the structure follows that of modules and
>>> assemblies in
>>> the codebase.
>>
>> hmm... i'd much prefer to have them in just *folder*...possibly
>> *two*: one
>> with
>> the active config files, one with the inactive ones. also OpenSim.ini
>> should
>> live in that folder then
>>
>> DrS/dirk
>>

>> --
>> dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich
>> research lab
>> SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://
>> xyzzyxyzzy.net/
>> RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://
>> www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: [Opensim-dev] Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Jeroen van Veen
+1 for a more wifriendly ini-file