Prims and CPU usage?

John Sheridan
Gang,
    After trying a few of the higher prim oar files I've seen fly
through here I've begun to notice a rather curious trend, although I'm
unsure if its to do with my configuration or if others have seen this as
well.  After trying Nebadon's Art City oar on a local standalone (Mono
2.0.1 / SQLite, Basic Physics on Linux Ubuntu) I found that after
everything loaded and committed to the database (which on its own took a
good hour and a half probably due to SQLite) upon restarting OpenSim cpu
use for the OpenSim process was pinned at 30% when idle.

  Oddly enough, since I started building my Ravenport sims (Mono 2.0.1 /
MySql, ODE / ZeroMesh on Ubuntu) I've as well noticed a steady increase
in cpu use as the build progressed, however until now I thought this was
due to scripts or possibly a few rogue physical prims that may have sunk
under ground or flown off the sim edge.  Currently when idle the
Ravenport server is using 25% of the cpu at ~13,000 prims where a month
ago it bordered around 10 to 15% at roughly 7,000 prims.  Out of
curiosity I saved the sims out to an oar and began dissecting them on
the same local configuration I tested the Art City  oar on.
Surprisingly after removing all scripted objects there was no change in
cpu use - it was still at 25%.  It wasn't until I began deleting the
buildings that I began to notice a change where as the sims emptied out
the cpu use decreased down to between 1 and 2% once all prims were
deleted.

  To verify, I decided to try again this time with a clean OpenSim
instance of the same config where I had set a scripted prim to create a
grid of default .5x.5x.5 cubes.  The first round was with a grid of
13,000 prims which upon persisting and rebooting pinned the cpu at 30%,
the second test I added another 13,000 which brought it up to 40%.
After adding another 13,000 (39,000 total) the cpu was pinned at a solid
100% after a fresh restart.

  I have to admit, I do find this to be quite baffling.  In all I'd
expect the sim to use more memory with a higher prim count but the cpu
should remain about the same, especially given that my test environment
was using basic physics where all prims were rendered as phantom.

  The oar for the 39,000 prim sim is located at
http://www.pseudospace.net/primzilla.oar if anyone else would like to
test it on their own configuration.

Thanks, :)

 - John / Orion Pseudo

Re: Prims and CPU usage?

Frisby, Adam
This is probably related to how the Update routine handles sending updates to clients.

Adam

Re: Prims and CPU usage?

John Sheridan
But surely this isn't the normal way OpenSim is supposed to operate?  If
so I would imagine this could be quite limiting in regard to what can be
done, especially if one full simulator (in SL terms of 13,000 prims)
will use 30% of the cpu as a baseline without avatars or scripts.
Should this maybe be entered into Mantis as a bug?

Thanks,

 - John / Orion