Problem with a floating avatar

Olli Aro
Administrator

Hi all,

I have a problem on one of our OpenSim servers (an instance running 0.6.7) where by none of the land gets rendered and the avatar is just floating. As far as I understand normally this indicates a problem with network connection. However, if I restart the server everything is ok again.

Anyone else experiences a problem like this and have any idea what might cause it? There is nothing useful in the log files. Well the only error I can see is the following line, but I am not sure if this is relevant:

2010-10-25 10:49:35,323 ERROR - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Avatar.InstantMessage.PresenceModule [PRESENCE]: Failed to notify message server of agent location for 8446ba70-1b22-11df-b6d9-00155d007405

Regards,

Olli

Re: Problem with a floating avatar

Olli Aro
Administrator

Hmmm, that is interesting…

But, we run 0.6.7 on other servers too and do not have this problem.

Only difference I can think of is that this server uses voice. Did you have voice/freeswitch activated?

Regards,

Olli

Re: Problem with a floating avatar

James Stallings II
This sounds like the teleport distance 'bug'. There is a limitation to how far one can teleport; 1024 regions on some clients, 4096 on others.

I have to say though, if you do run into difficult problem, you will have a progressively more difficult time getting support for it.

Cheers
James aka Hiro Protagonist

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 6:49 AM, Harri Nyman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I doubt it has anything to do with voice system - I didn't have one active. Only thing that made difference was when I changed megaregion setting to false, that helped somewhat but didn't fix it completely.

HArri

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmmm, that is interesting…

But, we run 0.6.7 on other servers too and do not have this problem.

Only difference I can think of is that this server uses voice. Did you have voice/freeswitch activated?

Regards,

Olli

Re: Problem with a floating avatar

Olli Aro
Administrator

Thanks James,

Yes I was thinking it could also have something to do with the teleport feature, but only have 2 regions on this server and it is running as standalone.

Regards,

Olli

Re: Problem with a floating avatar

Olli Aro
Administrator

Been running the server in console mode for 2 days now and no problems. Maybe it could be something to do with running OpenSim as Windows service?

Saying that we do run the same version of OpenSim on other Windows servers as service and they seem to work fine. Weird…

Olli

Re: Problem with a floating avatar

Olli Aro
Administrator
Ok, finally managed to trap an error message for this. It seems to be a known issue with the physics engine.

Seems like there has not been activity on that issue for almost a year. Does anyone know what has happened with it? I see people only reporting it on Windows OS. It is possible that move to Linux OS might cure it?

Regards,

Olli