Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

Fred Beckhusen
>     1. Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator
>        instance to another instance? (Chris)

  It appears to me that your LAN dest region did not handshake properly,
somewhere at the Agent creation process, and the CAPS seed process found
the destination socket was not available.

I wonder how reliable it is in general.  Have you been able to bulk
upload a couple dozen textures reliably, or does it crash out partway
through?  That's a sure sign that loopback is failing.   You xxx'd your
IP addresses, so I believe you are using a Public WAN IP and therefor a
router is involved and loopback is necessary. There are many reasons
loopback can go wrong or be flaky.   Perhaps posting your router
brand/model number to us for future reference will help us, and maybe we
can spot something for you.   If this turns out to be the router, please
help us update the page on the Opensimulator.org web site that we use to
track which routers work and which do not. It is at
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

Troubleshooting:   Check that all IP addresses in your INI files start
with http:// and make sure none of the regions  have http:// in them.

Go to the destination region and type into the console "debug http all
5". This will print out more details of the handshake that you now
cannot see.   You can go to level 6, but that's really verbose.    The
command  "debug http all 0" will turn it off again.

A good way to find out if it is loopback is to set your Public IP in the
Opensim.INI to be the LAN IP of the server.   You will also need to set
your grid parameters to point to it in the viewer to be able to log in.
When all Private LAN IP's are used, your router will not be involved in
anything at the TCP/IP level and all traffic will be
machine-to-machine.  This applies to any IP's in the range of
172.16.*.*, 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*.   The Ethernet switch is still
involved, though it is unlikely to be the problem as it works with a
totally different protocol that carries the TCP/IP inside it.

I have collected about a thousand Opensim stats on this. Current count
is 784 home routers failed loopback on first try, and only 125 passed.
Reasons vary:  mostly loopback is just missing, but I have remoted in to
some machines and seen some very troubling things.   I have continually
been surprised by the flakiness of some,  and also surprised by how well
a cheap one from Comcast worked.

Some examples:  TCP appears to loop back, but not UDP.   A major brand,
Actiontech,  widely used by FIOS,  cannot loop back reliably from LAN
IP:port to a different LAN IP:port (which sounds like your situation),
but will loop back to the same machine very reliably. There are European
ISPS that charge extra fees for loopback, (and require you to pay them
to set up port forwarding, too).  Some ISP's loopback at the Central
Office and lose a lot of packets in the process. There are routers with
only a  1K UDP loopback buffer appear to work but are flaky on teleports
and bulk uploads.

Some routers block the Public IP:PrivatePort ( typically 8003)
configuration by looping back outside on the WAN side of the firewall,
thus hitting the router firewall that should be blocking port 8003. As a
result, Groups, XBakes and Profiles will not work. This took me many
months to find as I am stupid about some things and believe the
documentation.  You cannot fix it by moving the Private port (8003) to a
different port, either.   I've seen several people "solve it" by opening
Port 8003 to the public, which is a Bad Idea.  Use LAN IP: Private Port
everywhere you see PublicPort: Private IP  in Groups, Xbakes and
Profile. Or use <a href="http://localhost:Private">http://localhost:Private Port for standalones.

Fred Beckhusen/Ferd Frederix
Outworldz, LLC
  www.outworldz.com

Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

tringate
Fred,

I read your response with great interest.  I also have TP problems on a
frequent basis, and I switched away from Frontier and the actionteck modem
and went back to Brighthouse/Spectrum which uses a true pass-through modem
and I use my WRT1200AC V2 modem running standard Linksys firmware.

Things run much better, but I still have TP problems myself.  Visitors have
no issues at all.

My regions run on four Fedora linux servers here on my local network.

I have felt the issue was how things are configured as the TP issue is
random like this original post talks about.

Here is how my region INI files are all set up is this correct?

InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9182
AllowAlternatePorts = False
MaxPrims = 100000
ExternalHostName = tsim.us.to
RegionType = "Archipelago - Tropical"

I use a dynamic name service for my domain of tsim.us.to

I have not tried your debug suggestion yet, as I have no idea what I should
be looking for.

I see different results when I TP  sometimes I arrive with no troubles,
sometimes my viewer simply closes, and I have to relog, and sometimes I wait
for a long time and then end up not TP's.  Many times if I first go to LBSA
and then back to one of my regions everything usually works, but not always.

I am convinced it has something to do with loopback, but the WRT1200AC
supports that function.

Tom

> [...]

configuration by looping back outside on the WAN side of the firewall,
thus hitting the router firewall that should be blocking port 8003. As a
result, Groups, XBakes and Profiles will not work. This took me many
months to find as I am stupid about some things and believe the
documentation.  You cannot fix it by moving the Private port (8003) to a
different port, either.   I've seen several people "solve it" by opening
Port 8003 to the public, which is a Bad Idea.  Use LAN IP: Private Port
everywhere you see PublicPort: Private IP  in Groups, Xbakes and
Profile. Or use <a href="http://localhost:Private">http://localhost:Private Port for standalones.

Fred Beckhusen/Ferd Frederix
Outworldz, LLC
  www.outworldz.com

Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

I also checked my gridcommon.INI and this one statememt does not have the
http:// in the different addresses.

Could this be my problem?

[Network]
    http_listener_port = 9182
    OutboundDisallowForUserScriptsExcept =
192.168.1.61|tsim.us.to|bandit1.tsim.us.to|bandit1.tringate.us.to|tringate.us.to

The use of "bandit1.tsim.us.to"  is used so my "hosts" file can intercept
the communications and point directly to the other local machine for script
types of communications to my servers.  I do this with scripted chat
messages so that only people on my regions are able to use my chat server.

Tom

> [...]

configuration by looping back outside on the WAN side of the firewall,
thus hitting the router firewall that should be blocking port 8003. As a
result, Groups, XBakes and Profiles will not work. This took me many
months to find as I am stupid about some things and believe the
documentation.  You cannot fix it by moving the Private port (8003) to a
different port, either.   I've seen several people "solve it" by opening
Port 8003 to the public, which is a Bad Idea.  Use LAN IP: Private Port
everywhere you see PublicPort: Private IP  in Groups, Xbakes and
Profile. Or use <a href="http://localhost:Private">http://localhost:Private Port for standalones.

Fred Beckhusen/Ferd Frederix
Outworldz, LLC
  www.outworldz.com

Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

Johan Taal

Hi to All,

I have reported this problem before. This version and the version of OpenSim before does NOT allow Full Qualified Domain Name in the Region.ini file. I think it should be. The problem is gone when you fill in the IP address there.

Specially for big company networks (schools, businesses etc.) who use Firewall in combination with split DNS it is wonderful if FQDN is supported in Region.ini. On this moment every request will need the firewall external IP address to be in the Region.ini so the Grid is also reachable from the outside. With a forward rule in the Firewall to server that serviced the specific region it will work from the inside campus network and also from the outside (Internet).

I have this configuration working on a campus grid with more the 1200 regions and a number of servers in the internal network. I like to reduce traffic so if this problem can be fixed and FQDN addresses are accepted so the combination of split DNS, Firewall and Region.ini works I will great-full!

short time solution is to put in the Region.ini the IP address instead of the FQDN for the ExternalHostName.

With regards,

Johan Taal

-----Original Message----- From: Fred Beckhusen

Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

Chris M
The router I am using is a NETGEAR WNDR3700v4; Gigabit router. It's not
using stock firmware though as I have replaced it with DD-WRT v24-sp2
(04/01/15) std.

Initially the DD-WRT firmware didn't support loopback out of the box so
I had to enable it with a firewall rule as per the DD-WRT wiki on
enabling loopback connections:

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get
wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Note that the loopback has been enabled in this fashion the entire time
I've been having these problems. But I don't know if it's because I have
it enabled like this that it's a problem or... The router just doesn't
fully support loopback hardware-side... I would assume that if it didn't
then it would just not work 100% of the time instead of sometimes it
works fine and sometimes it just hates me which the latter seems to be
my case lol.

Running through my config files I have come up with these settings:

For my regions the Region.ini files follow this pattern:

[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = ded5de05-aef9-4c07-a08c-b317c025c0b0
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 68.1.XXX.XXX

For OpenSim.ini on each simulator:

[Const]
     BaseURL = http://127.0.0.1
     PublicPort = "8002"
     PrivatePort = "8003"

I'm using local host for this configuration because everything all runs
on the same machine; And selectively expose the services needed to
operate over WAN with the WAN address such as map tile URL, login
services etc. But things like asset services, inventory services, etc
use local host so that requests for these things don't go out over WAN
only to be told that they need to come right back home for the services
(There is quite a bit of latency when this happens I've observed; Thus
my using local host for these things)

For GridCommon.ini on each simulator:

[GridInfo]
     GridInfoURI = "http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002"

Everything else is left as (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}" or (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"

In Robust.ini:

[Const]
     BaseURL = "http://127.0.0.1"
     PublicPort = "8002"
     PrivatePort = "8003"

Using local host in the same manner as OpenSim.ini

In Robust.ini LoginService section MapTileURL = "http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002/"

In Robust.ini GridInfoService section login = http://68.1.XXX.XXX:8002/

Everything else is left as (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PrivatePort}" or (Config Name) =
"${Const|BaseURL}:${Const|PublicPort}"

For what it's worth I have also tried with BaseURL = http://LAN IP,
BaseURL = http://WAN IP, and BaseURL = http://FQDN instead of local
host. Not those values literally but the respective values that would be
there in an actual configuration. But the issue still persists in all
those cases.

It's a very random issue though. I can connect fine and every one else
can connect fine through WAN and everything works. Teleports seem to be
about a 50/50 chance of success.

Re: Problems with teleporting in grid mode from simulator, instance to another instance? (Ferd)

John_silver

try to fill in the IP address instead of the domain name in the Region.ini for ExternalHostName.

It helped in my configuration but it seems that everybody is thinking that the resolving of the domain name is resolved.

I think there is still problem with that...

[...]

Release date Planning OpenSim 9...

John_silver

Et All,

Is there any planning or idea when the new official release of OpenSim 0.9.X will be released?

With regards,

John