Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Marcus Alexander Link
Hi everyone,

this is my first posting to this list and I would like to introduce myself with a few words.

I am a content creator for Second Life Technology and I have been testing OpenSimulator for a while now. I joined 'Second Life' 2006 and became a virtual watches designer by taking free classes in SL. I met my GF in SL and she moved from Houston/Texas to Germany, where we now live together.
We both are also SL Solution Provider.

Friends and I started a Product development Community in SL and one of our first developments was a multiple Choice Quiz System for SL Technology.
I am convinced of OpenSimulator because of the possibility of .oar and .iar files which are such an amazing advantage, compared to what, lets say "closed proprietary grids" offer.

To come to an end and the question I would like to have answered:

Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a script in a .oar file ?

Marcus
Frankfurt, Germany

p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop features:
http://storebox.manupool.com

--
The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative Application Methods & Environments, which is an encouraging recognition for a SL/OpenSimulator application.

Our Team so far:
http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi

What we have so far:
We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Karen_Palen
"Any lock built by man can also be broken by man"

In the long term there cannot ever be a technological solution to what is essentially a social, political and economic problem.

The only true protection is a set of laws and procedures that are generally accepted by all concerned.

In the IP arena we are a very long way from any such consensus even though it is arguably one of the most important questions facing our civilization!

The "techie" answer is that an OAR and IAR file reflect the contents of the region and inventory databases. If the script is inaccessible from the source then the OAR and IAR will reflect that.

For a variety of reasons (NOT just IP!) LSL scripting is being replaced by various compiled languages. The result is that the database need only contain "object" code and not source code.

You should be aware though that "dis-assembly" (or even a full source code reconstruction!) is not only feasible, but quite well developed in some areas.

"Object code" raises a barrier against IP theft, but it is certainly not a "fix" for the problem!

Karen

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]>

> Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a
> script in a .oar file ?

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Frisby, Adam

There’s some long answers to this; but the short answer is very simple: No.

It is impossible by definition – obfuscation is the best you can manage; but at some point the region will need to execute the code – which is the point where someone will be able to grab & if necessary decompile.

Adam

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Jeroen van Veen
Would it be an idea to have a general way to add a copyright message to
scripts/objects, without adding it as a notecard or something? That way it's
at least clear where the object is supposed to come from. Some sort of a
metadata thing :-)

kind regards,

Jeroen

Op vrijdag 11 december 2009 04:20:10 schreef Frisby, Adam:

> There's some long answers to this; but the short answer is very simple: No.
>
> It is impossible by definition - obfuscation is the best you can manage;
>  but at some point the region will need to execute the code - which is the
>  point where someone will be able to grab & if necessary decompile.
>
> Adam
>
> From: [hidden email]
>  [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Marcus
>  Alexander Link Sent: Thursday, 10 December 2009 1:29 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Protecting Script Source in .oar files
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> this is my first posting to this list and I would like to introduce myself
>  with a few words.
>
> I am a content creator for Second Life Technology and I have been testing
>  OpenSimulator for a while now. I joined 'Second Life' 2006 and became a
>  virtual watches designer by taking free classes in SL. I met my GF in SL
>  and she moved from Houston/Texas to Germany, where we now live together.
>  We both are also SL Solution Provider.
>
> Friends and I started a Product development Community in SL and one of our
>  first developments was a multiple Choice Quiz System for SL Technology. I
>  am convinced of OpenSimulator because of the possibility of .oar and .iar
>  files which are such an amazing advantage, compared to what, lets say
>  "closed proprietary grids" offer.
>
> To come to an end and the question I would like to have answered:
>
> Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a script in a .oar file ?
>

> Marcus
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl
>  developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop
>  features: http://storebox.manupool.com
>
> --
> The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative
>  Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative
>  Application Methods & Environments, which is an encouraging recognition
>  for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
>
> Our Team so far:
> http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
>
> What we have so far:
> We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Karen_Palen
With scripts is is almost trivial, in fact most IDEs have an option to add a standard "boilerplate" header which include a selection of copyright notices and licences.

It would require a new database field for a generic object, but I can't see any reason that it couldn't be added. Somewhat the same as identifying the "content creator" in fact.

That would certainly help "keep honest people honest".

However, I suspect that there are some hidden "gotchas" just like trying to get a universal "content creator" field that works everywhere.

Karen

> [...]
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team
> member, a perl
> >  developer, who would be responsible to further
> develop the community shop
> >  features: http://storebox.manupool.com
> >
> > --
> > The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the
> European Innovative
> >  Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement
> Prize' Innovative
> >  Application Methods & Environments, which is
> an encouraging recognition
> >  for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
> >
> > Our Team so far:
> > http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
> >
> > What we have so far:
> > We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a
> currency/credit feature:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
Can always add that a a script comment. The way you'd do it with regular code.

Jeroen van Veen wrote:
> Would it be an idea to have a general way to add a copyright message to
> scripts/objects, without adding it as a notecard or something? That way it's
> at least clear where the object is supposed to come from. Some sort of a
> metadata thing :-)

If you're saving an entire OAR with a single parcel then you could place
licensing information in the parcel description (or in multiple parcel
descriptions).  I know this is pretty crude.

At the back of my mind, I think it might also be nice to have a tool to inject a
license into an OAR at a known location, though again this doesn't help if one
wants to have different licenses for individual items (though such a thing would
present its own problems anyway).

> kind regards,
>
> Jeroen
>
> Op vrijdag 11 december 2009 04:20:10 schreef Frisby, Adam:
>> There's some long answers to this; but the short answer is very simple: No.
>>
>> It is impossible by definition - obfuscation is the best you can manage;
>>  but at some point the region will need to execute the code - which is the
>>  point where someone will be able to grab & if necessary decompile.
>>
>> Adam
>>
>> From: [hidden email]
>>  [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Marcus
>>  Alexander Link Sent: Thursday, 10 December 2009 1:29 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Opensim-users] Protecting Script Source in .oar files
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> this is my first posting to this list and I would like to introduce myself
>>  with a few words.
>>
>> I am a content creator for Second Life Technology and I have been testing
>>  OpenSimulator for a while now. I joined 'Second Life' 2006 and became a
>>  virtual watches designer by taking free classes in SL. I met my GF in SL
>>  and she moved from Houston/Texas to Germany, where we now live together.
>>  We both are also SL Solution Provider.
>>
>> Friends and I started a Product development Community in SL and one of our
>>  first developments was a multiple Choice Quiz System for SL Technology. I
>>  am convinced of OpenSimulator because of the possibility of .oar and .iar
>>  files which are such an amazing advantage, compared to what, lets say
>>  "closed proprietary grids" offer.
>>
>> To come to an end and the question I would like to have answered:
>>
>> Is there a reliable way to protect the source of a script in a .oar file ?
>>

>> Marcus
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl
>>  developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop
>>  features: http://storebox.manupool.com
>>
>> --
>> The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative
>>  Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative
>>  Application Methods & Environments, which is an encouraging recognition
>>  for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
>>
>> Our Team so far:
>> http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
>>
>> What we have so far:
>> We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

M.E. Verhagen
Could no mod scripts not be saved compiled in the oar ?
In that case the source would be protected.

On 11-12-09 21:51, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> Marcus
>>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>>
>>> p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl
>>>   developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop
>>>   features: http://storebox.manupool.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative
>>>   Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative
>>>   Application Methods&  Environments, which is an encouraging recognition
>>>   for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
>>>
>>> Our Team so far:
>>> http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
>>>
>>> What we have so far:
>>> We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

@Marcel

Sounds great !

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Marcel Edward Verhagen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> Marcus
>>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>>
>>> p.s. I am currently looking for an additional team member, a perl
>>>   developer, who would be responsible to further develop the community shop
>>>   features: http://storebox.manupool.com
>>>
>>> --
>>> The "Marble Isle Quiz System" was nominated for the European Innovative
>>>   Games Award 2009 in the category 'Advancement Prize' Innovative
>>>   Application Methods&  Environments, which is an encouraging recognition
>>>   for a SL/OpenSimulator application.
>>>
>>> Our Team so far:
>>> http://storebox.manupool.com/cgi-bin/biographical.cgi
>>>
>>> What we have so far:
>>> We alreday have an in-world vendorsystem with a currency/credit feature:
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZGLA1E9xQ

Re: Protecting Script Source in .oar files

Not very well - take a look at Reflector.NET.

Adam

ai, indeed when somebody would copy paste the compiled code in the
reflector tool then the source can be extracted.
So saving the scripts in a compiled form would not give a reliable
protection.

Now I just have to open the oar with winrar and open the file with
wordpad to copy paste the lsl script.