Question - About avatar UUID

Isis Ophelia
 Fresh installation, my master uuid is new again. And I am wondering, which
are the pros and cons in using again the prior uuid after one had to start
over?.

My pros would be that I wouldn't lose my HG contacts. And eventually that
items I have built and shared in the HG, can be tracked to me. That other
grids would recognize my avatar (not sure about this one) maybe they just
care about my DynDns. For example when I purchase in the Kitely Marketplace.

Anyone has experiences in taking over the same uuid from prior
installation? Please share with me. Thanks in advanced.

Isis Ophelia

Virenfrei.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Question - About avatar UUID

Chris M
The biggest pro in keeping your prior UUID that I can think of is, if
you have backed up your inventory and/or regions via IAR and OAR files
respectively, is the assurance that the things that you've created will
maintain their proper permissions relative to the UUID that created
them. Else when you restore your inventory and regions it is highly
likely that you will end up with the wrong permissions on your own items
if you didn't think to full perm ahead of time (And even that isn't a
guarantee given the finicky-ness of the permissions system in OpenSim)
because OpenSim will see your new UUID as technically a completely
different person and as such applies the "Next Owner" perms to your items.

I can't really think of a major con for keeping your prior UUID aside
from possibly cache issues between grids where you've chosen to keep the
old one in cases of running multiple grid instances with different
databases but same UUID. Which is pretty easily remedied by clearing
your viewer cache before switching grids.

On 2/17/2018 11:11 AM, Isis Ophelia wrote:

>   Fresh installation, my master uuid is new again. And I am wondering, which
> are the pros and cons in using again the prior uuid after one had to start
> over?.
>
> My pros would be that I wouldn't lose my HG contacts. And eventually that
> items I have built and shared in the HG, can be tracked to me. That other
> grids would recognize my avatar (not sure about this one) maybe they just
> care about my DynDns. For example when I purchase in the Kitely Marketplace.
>
> Anyone has experiences in taking over the same uuid from prior
> installation? Please share with me. Thanks in advanced.
>
> Isis Ophelia

> Virenfrei.
> www.avg.com

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.8.1 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: Question - About avatar UUID

Isis Ophelia
Thank you Chris for very useful information.

Do you allow me to share your answer in Google Plus for 2 other persons who
would like to know the pros and cons to this question too?.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:33 AM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The biggest pro in keeping your prior UUID that I can think of is, if you
> have backed up your inventory and/or regions via IAR and OAR files
> respectively, is the assurance that the things that you've created will
> maintain their proper permissions relative to the UUID that created them.
> Else when you restore your inventory and regions it is highly likely that
> you will end up with the wrong permissions on your own items if you didn't
> think to full perm ahead of time (And even that isn't a guarantee given the
> finicky-ness of the permissions system in OpenSim) because OpenSim will see
> your new UUID as technically a completely different person and as such
> applies the "Next Owner" perms to your items.
>
> I can't really think of a major con for keeping your prior UUID aside from
> possibly cache issues between grids where you've chosen to keep the old one
> in cases of running multiple grid instances with different databases but
> same UUID. Which is pretty easily remedied by clearing your viewer cache
> before switching grids.
>
> On 2/17/2018 11:11 AM, Isis Ophelia wrote:
>
>>   Fresh installation, my master uuid is new again. And I am wondering,
>> which
>> are the pros and cons in using again the prior uuid after one had to start
>> over?.
>>
>> My pros would be that I wouldn't lose my HG contacts. And eventually that
>> items I have built and shared in the HG, can be tracked to me. That other
>> grids would recognize my avatar (not sure about this one) maybe they just
>> care about my DynDns. For example when I purchase in the Kitely
>> Marketplace.
>>
>> Anyone has experiences in taking over the same uuid from prior
>> installation? Please share with me. Thanks in advanced.
>>
>> Isis Ophelia
>>
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_
>> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>> Virenfrei.
>> www.avg.com
>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_
>> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

> OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.8.1 Dev
> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
> CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5 GHz
> Memory: 16 GB DDR3
> Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: Question - About avatar UUID

Chris M
You're very welcome. And yes, that's fine; you can share my answer :)

On 2/18/2018 1:36 AM, Isis Ophelia wrote:

> [...]
>>> Marketplace.
>>>
>>> Anyone has experiences in taking over the same uuid from prior
>>> installation? Please share with me. Thanks in advanced.
>>>
>>> Isis Ophelia
>>>
>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_
>>> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>>> Virenfrei.
>>> www.avg.com
>>> <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_
>>> source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
>>> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>>>

>> --
>> OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.8.1 Dev
>> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
>> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
>> CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5 GHz
>> Memory: 16 GB DDR3
>> Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.8.1 Dev

Thanks Chris for the permission :)

An add-on to my cons. New uuid in Kitely purchases means their delivery
system will not find the old avatar and can't deliver. One has to ask
support to update the UUID.

Closing this thread now.