Question; What is the difference between and ASSET and a ITEM

Question; What is the difference between and ASSET and a ITEM

tringate
In the appearance notecard for an NPC two UUID’s are listed for each object that is attached, or for wearables.

Example:

<key>point</key>
<integer>8</integer>
<key>item</key>
<uuid>b9bb4e8f-2ba0-4f02-a47c-2efbfc9b2299</uuid>
<key>asset</key>
<uuid>5225b537-dc05-4e0b-9a03-23a1990ec5a8</uuid>

What is the difference between the “ASSET” and the “ITEM”?

I have discovered that if the UUID is present in my asset cache the NPC will rezz without any difficulty but if it is missing, I only will see a cloud, or partial NPC.

I have written a php program that decodes the appearance note card, finds the asset in the cache, reads the asset, and then displays what the NPC
is made of.  It  displays the name of the object, and allows me to remove attachments or replace them with other attachments.

I have identified those textures required as a minimum for an NPC to rezz.  This makes it simpler to delete notecards that will result
in a non-displayable NPC.

I use this to preprocess appearance note cards to make it faster to only rezz good appearances.

Tom

Re: Question; What is the difference between and ASSET and a ITEM

Jeff Kelley
At 11:29 AM -0500 13/9/14, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

>  My understanding is that the item ID is used by inventory as a
>pointer to an asset.
>  Since NPCs don't have an inventory, they effectively borrow
>inventory items from
>  a user. Both the item UUID and the asset UUID are needed for an appearance
>  note card to work.

If I remember well, they are baked textures. So we can't dress NPCs
inserting  wearables in the notecard.

-- Jeff

Re: Question; What is the difference between and ASSET and a ITEM

You're correct that usually one would look up the item via the Item ID and then look up the asset via the asset ID in
the item.

However, in this case both item ID and asset ID are embedded directly.  In the case of NPCs, the item ID is actually
ignored (and could be zeroed).  The asset IDs are vital since they point to baked textures and attachments.

This is why one needs to clone an existing avatar's appearance for an NPC - for an avatar the viewer has done the work
of baking and uploading the textures and we simply make those persistent in the database instead of transient.  If we
had code to bake appearances server-side then this wouldn't be necessary.

On 13/09/14 17:29, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

> My understanding is that the item ID is used by inventory as a pointer to an asset. Since NPCs don't have an inventory,
> they effectively borrow inventory items from a user. Both the item UUID and the asset UUID are needed for an appearance
> note card to work.
>
> On Sep 13, 2014 11:20 AM, "Thomas Ringate" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     In the appearance notecard for an NPC two UUID’s are listed for each object that is attached, or for wearables.
>     Example:
>     <key>point</key>
>     <integer>8</integer>
>     <key>item</key>
>     <uuid>b9bb4e8f-2ba0-4f02-a47c-2efbfc9b2299</uuid>
>     <key>asset</key>
>     <uuid>5225b537-dc05-4e0b-9a03-23a1990ec5a8</uuid>
>     What is the difference between the “ASSET” and the “ITEM”?
>     I have discovered that if the UUID is present in my asset cache the NPC will rezz without any difficulty but if it
>     is missing, I only will see a cloud, or partial NPC.
>     I have written a php program that decodes the appearance note card, finds the asset in the cache, reads the asset,
>     and then displays what the NPC
>     is made of.  It  displays the name of the object, and allows me to remove attachments or replace them with other
>     attachments.
>     I have identified those textures required as a minimum for an NPC to rezz.  This makes it simpler to delete
>     notecards that will result
>     in a non-displayable NPC.
>     I use this to preprocess appearance note cards to make it faster to only rezz good appearances.
>     Tom

OSVW Consulting