Quantcast

Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

Chris Kennedy-2
Hi all,

I am contemplating on adding some additional memory to my system to see
if it helps clear up some recent out of memory errors I have been seeing
on my server.  The upgrade will very likely force me to upgrade my
operating system to a 64-bit OS (Most likely Windows 7 x64). Is
OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe capable of utilizing all the system's RAM that
is available, or is it limited to 2 GB (as I understand is the case with
Win XP x86)? Is this the case with x64 versions of Linux as well (trying
to keep my options open :) )? Are there any nuances I should be aware of
when making my migration from Win XP x86 to Win 7 x64?

Thanks! =)

--
OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

R.Gunther
On 2012-01-21 22:13, Chris wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am contemplating on adding some additional memory to my system to
> see if it helps clear up some recent out of memory errors I have been
> seeing on my server.  The upgrade will very likely force me to upgrade
> my operating system to a 64-bit OS (Most likely Windows 7 x64). Is
> OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe capable of utilizing all the system's RAM that
> is available, or is it limited to 2 GB (as I understand is the case
> with Win XP x86)? Is this the case with x64 versions of Linux as well
> (trying to keep my options open :) )? Are there any nuances I should
> be aware of when making my migration from Win XP x86 to Win 7 x64?
>
> Thanks! =)

Every windows have the 2GB limit default. 32 & 64Bit. there hacks to get
1GB more.
Better option is to run more opensim instances. so you spilt the region
over more instances so you use the more more.
ANd even instance have a lower load to.

Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

M.E. Verhagen
on linux 64gb max memory can be used, https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE on a 64bit system.  (use the linux server distro and install a lightweight desktop like xfce)

windows desktop system even seem to have a 2gig limit, to use more you will have to switch to something like windows server 2008 wich seems to have a max of 192gb
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Op zondag 22 januari 2012 schreef R.Gunther ([hidden email]) het volgende:
> On 2012-01-21 22:13, Chris wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am contemplating on adding some additional memory to my system to see if it helps clear up some recent out of memory errors I have been seeing on my server.  The upgrade will very likely force me to upgrade my operating system to a 64-bit OS (Most likely Windows 7 x64). Is OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe capable of utilizing all the system's RAM that is available, or is it limited to 2 GB (as I understand is the case with Win XP x86)? Is this the case with x64 versions of Linux as well (trying to keep my options open :) )? Are there any nuances I should be aware of when making my migration from Win XP x86 to Win 7 x64?
>>
>> Thanks! =)
>>
> Every windows have the 2GB limit default. 32 & 64Bit. there hacks to get 1GB more.
> Better option is to run more opensim instances. so you spilt the region over more instances so you use the more more.
> ANd even instance have a lower load to.

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

InuYasha Meiji
I might be wrong because you 2GB limit I never knew about.  But Windows
can handle different amount and access it differently depending on the
version.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

  * Starter: 8GB
  * Home Basic: 8GB
  * Home Premium: 16GB
  * Professional: 192GB
  * Enterprise: 192GB
  * Ultimate: 192GB

My pathetic MOBO (Motherboard) only hold 8gb, but my windows 7 64bit
Home Premium I could use 16gb.  Not sure if each instance is still stuck
at 2gb.

InuYasha

On 1/21/2012 7:30 PM, M.E. Verhagen wrote:

> on linux 64gb max memory can be used,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE on a 64bit system.  (use
> the linux server distro and install a lightweight desktop like xfce)
>
> windows desktop system even seem to have a 2gig limit, to use more you
> will have to switch to something like windows server 2008 wich seems
> to have a max of 192gb
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>
>

> Op zondag 22 januari 2012 schreef R.Gunther ([hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>) het volgende:
> > On 2012-01-21 22:13, Chris wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am contemplating on adding some additional memory to my system to
> see if it helps clear up some recent out of memory errors I have been
> seeing on my server.  The upgrade will very likely force me to upgrade
> my operating system to a 64-bit OS (Most likely Windows 7 x64). Is
> OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe capable of utilizing all the system's RAM that
> is available, or is it limited to 2 GB (as I understand is the case
> with Win XP x86)? Is this the case with x64 versions of Linux as well
> (trying to keep my options open :) )? Are there any nuances I should
> be aware of when making my migration from Win XP x86 to Win 7 x64?
> >>
> >> Thanks! =)
> >>
> > Every windows have the 2GB limit default. 32 & 64Bit. there hacks to
> get 1GB more.
> > Better option is to run more opensim instances. so you spilt the
> region over more instances so you use the more more.
> > ANd even instance have a lower load to.

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

A instance of opensim.32bitlaunch.exe can not handle more than 2 GB of RAM -
.. So 10 GB Ram can handle 5 instances with 2 GB max ..

Best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

I might be wrong because you 2GB limit I never knew about.  But Windows can
handle different amount and access it differently depending on the version.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

  * Starter: 8GB
  * Home Basic: 8GB
  * Home Premium: 16GB
  * Professional: 192GB
  * Enterprise: 192GB
  * Ultimate: 192GB

My pathetic MOBO (Motherboard) only hold 8gb, but my windows 7 64bit Home
Premium I could use 16gb.  Not sure if each instance is still stuck at 2gb.

InuYasha

On 1/21/2012 7:30 PM, M.E. Verhagen wrote:

> on linux 64gb max memory can be used,
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE on a 64bit system.  (use
> the linux server distro and install a lightweight desktop like xfce)
>
> windows desktop system even seem to have a 2gig limit, to use more you
> will have to switch to something like windows server 2008 wich seems
> to have a max of 192gb
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.
> 85).aspx
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778%28v=
> vs.85%29.aspx>
>

> Op zondag 22 januari 2012 schreef R.Gunther ([hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>) het volgende:
> > On 2012-01-21 22:13, Chris wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I am contemplating on adding some additional memory to my system to
> see if it helps clear up some recent out of memory errors I have been
> seeing on my server.  The upgrade will very likely force me to upgrade
> my operating system to a 64-bit OS (Most likely Windows 7 x64). Is
> OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe capable of utilizing all the system's RAM that
> is available, or is it limited to 2 GB (as I understand is the case
> with Win XP x86)? Is this the case with x64 versions of Linux as well
> (trying to keep my options open :) )? Are there any nuances I should
> be aware of when making my migration from Win XP x86 to Win 7 x64?
> >>
> >> Thanks! =)
> >>
> > Every windows have the 2GB limit default. 32 & 64Bit. there hacks to
> get 1GB more.
> > Better option is to run more opensim instances. so you spilt the
> region over more instances so you use the more more.
> > ANd even instance have a lower load to.

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

Chris Kennedy-2
I'm a bit confused now I'll admit. According to this page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx The
user mode virtual address space for each 64 bit process with
IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set on a x64 based system should be
upwards of 8 TB (Even if Windows 7 x64 Ultimate limits max to192 GB of
ram... There's no way I'll be able to stuff that much in my motherboard =) )

Does this mean that OpenSim.32BitLaunch does not have the large address
flag set / is truly a 32-Bit process?

Thanks for all the quick responses =)

On 1/21/2012 6:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> A instance of opensim.32bitlaunch.exe can not handle more than 2 GB of RAM -
> .. So 10 GB Ram can handle 5 instances with 2 GB max ..
>
> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise

Like you I was hoping to utilize my 64bit Operating System.  I installed
as much 64bit versions of everything installed. 64bit MySQL, Apache, and
so on.  You could use the opensim.exe, but here is what I was told the
issue was.  I am hoping it is temporary but the ODE the best of the
physics engines, is not in 64bit code.

So I was told use the OpenSim.32BitLaunch.

Inu.

On 1/22/2012 3:45 AM, Chris wrote:

> I'm a bit confused now I'll admit. According to this page
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx The
> user mode virtual address space for each 64 bit process with
> IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set on a x64 based system should
> be upwards of 8 TB (Even if Windows 7 x64 Ultimate limits max to192 GB
> of ram... There's no way I'll be able to stuff that much in my
> motherboard =) )
>
> Does this mean that OpenSim.32BitLaunch does not have the large
> address flag set / is truly a 32-Bit process?
>
> Thanks for all the quick responses =)

>> A instance of opensim.32bitlaunch.exe can not handle more than 2 GB
>> of RAM -
>> .. So 10 GB Ram can handle 5 instances with 2 GB max ..
>>
>> Best regards
>> Wordfromthe Wise

Ahh... On Windows 7 x64 I tried running OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe and in
the task manager it seems to show up as a 32 bit process. So if this is
really the case I am wondering if even running it on something like
Windows Server 2008 would even make a difference since Windows seems to
be registering it as a 32 bit process?

If I were to try running all my regions over multiple instances of
OpenSim; is it as simple as splitting up my Regions.ini entries into
multiple copies of my OpenSim installation? For example, I have 8
regions and want to run 2 regions per OpenSim instance. So I make 4
directories, copy my OpenSim install 4 times, 1 per directory, and then
Edit my Regions.ini file to have 2 regions of the appropriate regions
per install. So I'd have something like this:

./os1/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
./os2/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
./os3/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
./os4/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini

And just execute them from top down?

This is running in standalone mode currently.

On 1/22/2012 2:56 AM, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> Like you I was hoping to utilize my 64bit Operating System.  I
> installed as much 64bit versions of everything installed. 64bit MySQL,
> Apache, and so on.  You could use the opensim.exe, but here is what I
> was told the issue was.  I am hoping it is temporary but the ODE the
> best of the physics engines, is not in 64bit code.
>
> So I was told use the OpenSim.32BitLaunch.
>
> Inu.
>

> On 1/22/2012 3:45 AM, Chris wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused now I'll admit. According to this page
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx The
>> user mode virtual address space for each 64 bit process with
>> IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set on a x64 based system should
>> be upwards of 8 TB (Even if Windows 7 x64 Ultimate limits max to192
>> GB of ram... There's no way I'll be able to stuff that much in my
>> motherboard =) )
>>
>> Does this mean that OpenSim.32BitLaunch does not have the large
>> address flag set / is truly a 32-Bit process?
>>
>> Thanks for all the quick responses =)

>>> A instance of opensim.32bitlaunch.exe can not handle more than 2 GB
>>> of RAM -
>>> .. So 10 GB Ram can handle 5 instances with 2 GB max ..
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Wordfromthe Wise

What or how you try it, opensim keeps a 32bit windows process. Also
under windows server 2008

On 2012-01-23 08:45, Chris wrote:

> Ahh... On Windows 7 x64 I tried running OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe and in
> the task manager it seems to show up as a 32 bit process. So if this
> is really the case I am wondering if even running it on something like
> Windows Server 2008 would even make a difference since Windows seems
> to be registering it as a 32 bit process?
>
> If I were to try running all my regions over multiple instances of
> OpenSim; is it as simple as splitting up my Regions.ini entries into
> multiple copies of my OpenSim installation? For example, I have 8
> regions and want to run 2 regions per OpenSim instance. So I make 4
> directories, copy my OpenSim install 4 times, 1 per directory, and
> then Edit my Regions.ini file to have 2 regions of the appropriate
> regions per install. So I'd have something like this:
>
> ./os1/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
> ./os2/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
> ./os3/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
> ./os4/bin/ > /Regions/Regions.ini
>
> And just execute them from top down?
>
> This is running in standalone mode currently.
>

> On 1/22/2012 2:56 AM, InuYasha Meiji wrote:
>> Like you I was hoping to utilize my 64bit Operating System.  I
>> installed as much 64bit versions of everything installed. 64bit
>> MySQL, Apache, and so on.  You could use the opensim.exe, but here is
>> what I was told the issue was.  I am hoping it is temporary but the
>> ODE the best of the physics engines, is not in 64bit code.
>>
>> So I was told use the OpenSim.32BitLaunch.
>>
>> Inu.
>>

>> On 1/22/2012 3:45 AM, Chris wrote:
>>> I'm a bit confused now I'll admit. According to this page
>>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx The
>>> user mode virtual address space for each 64 bit process with
>>> IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag set on a x64 based system should
>>> be upwards of 8 TB (Even if Windows 7 x64 Ultimate limits max to192
>>> GB of ram... There's no way I'll be able to stuff that much in my
>>> motherboard =) )
>>>
>>> Does this mean that OpenSim.32BitLaunch does not have the large
>>> address flag set / is truly a 32-Bit process?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the quick responses =)

Changing Windows version wouldn't make any difference.

The issue is that it isn't totally straightforward to tell 32-bit Windows to load a 32-bit dll and 64-bit to load a
differently named 64-bit DLL instead.  So at the moment we only ship the 32-bit version (of ODE and sqlite) and have to
tell 64-bit users to run OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe.

However, I'm pretty sure it's possible to get around this detection problem so hopefully we can try that soon (no
promises, though).

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

Chris Kennedy-2
Ahh... Look forward to testing it then if it ever comes to light =) For
now though I have converted my stand alone to use 2 regions per opensim
instance in grid mode (Testing in a separate temporary database of
course).  Which brings me to another question. Is it safe, database
wise, to switch between standalone and grid configurations back and
forth within the same database? Or is it advisable to make a new
database and stick with one grid configuration?

Thanks!

On 1/23/2012 4:47 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Changing Windows version wouldn't make any difference.
>
> The issue is that it isn't totally straightforward to tell 32-bit
> Windows to load a 32-bit dll and 64-bit to load a differently named
> 64-bit DLL instead.  So at the moment we only ship the 32-bit version
> (of ODE and sqlite) and have to tell 64-bit users to run
> OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe.
>
> However, I'm pretty sure it's possible to get around this detection
> problem so hopefully we can try that soon (no promises, though).

Re: Question about OpenSim.32BitLaunch (Any Version)

justincc
I think you should be able to switch back and forth without any problems.

http://justincc.org/blog