Re: Having trouble with people logging in

Re: Having trouble with people logging in

Chris Kennedy-2
If I am understanding correctly, then I should register a domain name
(i.e. with a service like dyndns.com), configure ExternalHostName to my
LAN's IP (such as 192.168.1.100 or should it be my WAN address?), and
have the people outside of my LAN connect using the FQDN (i.e. -loginuri
http://opensimserver.ath.cx)?

Thank you!

On 5/30/2010 5:25 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> Perhaps the information below might be of help:
>
> "We wanted to provide access to the simulator both externally from the
> Internet (via a GNAT box) and internally from the staff and student
> intranets (via an ISA Server Firewall). The main problem we enountered
> with internal and external access related to the region handshake
> failing. During login, it appears that the client initially uses the
> address associated with the client Login URI box (FQDN accepted here)
> to connect to the server and exchange authentication information using
> the TCP protocol. Before the region handshake takes place the server
> provides the client with a new IP address to use in client server
> communications. This is derived from the ExternalHostName parameter in
> Regions.ini (FQDN NOT accepted here). When the client reaches the
> point of the region handshake, it switches to using a mix of TCP&  UDP
> protocols and the new server IP address. This change of address for
> the server can easily result in the region handshake failing if the
> client cannot reach the server on the new address. The client
> initiates the region handshake by sending UDP packet(s) and times out
> if these packets are undeliverable."
>
> Very best of luck
>
> Clive

Re: Having trouble with people logging in

cliveg
Hi Chris

In the login parameter in OpenSim.ini either a FQDN OR an IP (WAN
address) can be used.

e.g.

[GridInfo]
    login = http://vleinternal.bromley.ac.uk:9000/
    gridname = "Bromley College Grid on Opensim"
    gridnick = "bromsim"

However in Regions.ini the external hostname (WAN address) can ONLY be
specified using an IP (FQDN does not work here).

e.g.

[Rookery_SW]
RegionUUID = ec80252e-9d0c-4a0d-89f5-18acf2cd6194
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9004
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 195.194.82.20
MasterAvatarFirstName = Estate
MasterAvatarLastName = Manager

Please bear in mind that our OpenSIm server connects from the Intranet
to the Internet by both NAT and ISA.

The region handshake failing very much suggests to me that the UDP
handshake packets are not getting between the client and the IP
specified by ExternalHostName parameter.

Very best of luck (I'm using Linux for the OpenSim server by the way ;)

Clive

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 14:06:54 -0500
From: Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email];  \"[hidden email]\""
       <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Having trouble with people logging in

If I am understanding correctly, then I should register a domain name
(i.e. with a service like dyndns.com), configure ExternalHostName to my
LAN's IP (such as 192.168.1.100 or should it be my WAN address?), and
have the people outside of my LAN connect using the FQDN (i.e. -loginuri
http://opensimserver.ath.cx)?

Thank you!

On 5/30/2010 5:25 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> Perhaps the information below might be of help:
>
> "We wanted to provide access to the simulator both externally from the
> Internet (via a GNAT box) and internally from the staff and student
> intranets (via an ISA Server Firewall). The main problem we enountered
> with internal and external access related to the region handshake
> failing. During login, it appears that the client initially uses the
> address associated with the client Login URI box (FQDN accepted here)
> to connect to the server and exchange authentication information using
> the TCP protocol. Before the region handshake takes place the server
> provides the client with a new IP address to use in client server
> communications. This is derived from the ExternalHostName parameter in
> Regions.ini (FQDN NOT accepted here). When the client reaches the
> point of the region handshake, it switches to using a mix of TCP&  UDP
> protocols and the new server IP address. This change of address for
> the server can easily result in the region handshake failing if the
> client cannot reach the server on the new address. The client
> initiates the region handshake by sending UDP packet(s) and times out
> if these packets are undeliverable."
>
> Very best of luck
>
> Clive

Re: Having trouble with people logging in

Chris Kennedy-2
Yes, this is how I have it set up on my linux system (with the exception
of ExternalHostName, it is set to my WAN address instead of LAN) and
running in standalone sandbox mode vs. grid. I can log in and other
people can log in from the internet side perfectly fine when I run it on
my linux system. But the same exact setup seems to fail at region
handshake when it comes to windows systems...