Re: Make ODE and Meshmerizer the default options?

Re: Make ODE and Meshmerizer the default options?

Ai Austin

>Does anybody on the list have a good reason for not switching defaults?

I would go for ODE and meshmerizer, as some basic kinds of 3d physics
are needed to maintain the immersive feel and expectation of users in
virtual worlds.

But we do need top make the instructions and process of what to
incudes and  set up for the various environments a lot
easier.  That's a documentation issue of course, and not something
everyone needs to do.  But those folks (including me) trying their
best to install clean environments and looking at upgrade paths can
document some of this too/. We have a lot of out of date and
conflicting advice and some documentation doe snot make clear that
its (from svn dddd onwards).  I just spent nearly 3 days to get a
0.6.6 system going from a 0.6.3 previous version, and I think we are
"nearly" there as of this evening :-)  We are using UGRM (with R for
A and I) services. Thanks for help from members of the community. We
will document our experience e and make notes on the Wiki when it
settles down and we are sure we have things right.

Re: Make ODE and Meshmerizer the default options?

Karen_Palen

> I would go for ODE and meshmerizer, as some basic kinds of
> 3d physics
> are needed to maintain the immersive feel and expectation
> of users in
> virtual worlds.
>
> But we do need top make the instructions and process of
> what to
> incudes and  set up for the various environments a lot
>
> easier.

I agree, one of the first things I did was to get those working!

All the same lets not forget the documentation for switching back!

I spent several days getting MySQL installed and "playing nice", mostly due to conflicting, obsolete, and just plain confusing documentation.

Once I figured it all out I spent several hours getting the Wiki to reflect the correct procedure. It is not hard but you do need to get all the pointers and parameters right!

I think we would all much prefer to do coding, but first you have to get something working so you know if you are improving things or just making problems!

Still puzzling over the OpenSim HTTP server dll, but I think I will just bring up Apache for now.