Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

cliveg
The main problem we have encountered with internal and external access
relates to the region handshake failing. It appears that the client
initially uses the address associated with the client Login URI box
(FQDN accepted here) to connect to the server and exchange
authentication information using the TCP protocol.

During login, when the client reaches the point of the region
handshake it suddenly switches from using TCP to UDP. It also switches
to using a return IP address supplied by the server (which the server
has derived from Regions.ini - FQDN NOT accepted here).

This change of address for the server can easily result in the region
handshake failing if the client cannot reach the server on the new
address. The client initiates the region handshake by sending the UDP
packet(s) and times out if these packets are undeliverable.

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

cliveg
Hi everyone

Just to let you know we've eventually solved the problem of waiting
for the region handshake :D

This was eventually apparently resolved by a couple of minor changes
to the ISA server UDP rules and an upgrade of the GNAT server
firmware.

We now have both internal and external access to the simulator working
fine, using the external IP address in each of the ExternalHostName
parameter(s) in Regions.ini :)))

Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice and support on this issue.

Clive

Re: [Opensim-dev] Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

Teravus Ovares
Congratulations!    Fantastic work there.

Regards
Teravus

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:57 AM, clive gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Just to let you know we've eventually solved the problem of waiting
> for the region handshake :D
>
> This was eventually apparently resolved by a couple of minor changes
> to the ISA server UDP rules and an upgrade of the GNAT server
> firmware.
>
> We now have both internal and external access to the simulator working
> fine, using the external IP address in each of the ExternalHostName
> parameter(s) in Regions.ini :)))
>
> Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice and support on this issue.
>
> Clive

Re: [Opensim-dev] Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

cliveg
This was eventually solved by a combination of the following changes
(coutesy of Douglas Isaac the Network Team Leader at Bromley College):

a) GnatBox firmware upgrade (newly released)
b) ISA Opensim Publish Protocol definition changed for UDP “Receive
Send” instead of “Send Receive”
b) ISA Handing changed so that “Requests appear to come from the ISA Server”

Traffic from the internal network to the DMZ is terminated, inspected
and repackaged and then sent to the server with the from address of
ISA.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations!    Fantastic work there.
>
> Regards
> Teravus
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 7:57 AM, clive gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> Just to let you know we've eventually solved the problem of waiting
>> for the region handshake :D
>>
>> This was eventually apparently resolved by a couple of minor changes
>> to the ISA server UDP rules and an upgrade of the GNAT server
>> firmware.
>>
>> We now have both internal and external access to the simulator working
>> fine, using the external IP address in each of the ExternalHostName
>> parameter(s) in Regions.ini :)))
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who has helped with advice and support on this issue.
>>
>> Clive

Re: [Opensim-dev] Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for Region Handshake'

Kevin Buckley
That's great news!  When will this be incorporated into a 'stable' release
(like v0.6.7) rather than at the bleeding edge?

Want to find out when you can get an iPhone with Orange? Register at http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone and we'll let you know.