Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers (Kevin Buckley)

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers (Kevin Buckley)

riebling
Sadly the wiki is editable by everyone and when discovering which
bits are right and which bits are wrong, it's the perfect time to
fix them for the next person ... and those who keep having the same
region handshake issues over and over again (so it seems.)

I know it got me so bummed out after having set up a really cool
standalone grid, only to discover NOBODY could get in, no matter
how many settings of IP addresses, ports forwarded by router, etc.

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers (Kevin Buckley)

Richard Taft
Well since anyone can edit it.  Then I decided to update it a little.  Clarified some of the information & put in a link to the Port / Forwarding information.  I think some of the problem is a lot of this was initially written by people that already had it all up and running. so a lot of stuff might have been skipped.  As I discover things I can put in little notes, and we should all probably do the same and mention it in here.

I'd ask the "Old Timers" to take a look to see if what we are updating  makes sense and is accurate. I'd also like to ask about any conflicting information. Would this list be the correct place to ask for answers or would that be on the developers list?

Rich

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers (Kevin Buckley)

Karen_Palen
Yes that is the idea!

In my experience there are several sources of problems:

1) Obsolete stuff that no longer applies and that everyone has forgotten about.

2) Stuff that is specific to an OS or specific hardware/OS/config setup. Generally this is not a problem s long as it is clearly labeled.

3) Someone adds new stuff in addition to old material but which contradicts the old. This is harder to figure out and I have found that trial and error is often the only way to see what is really going on! For example the "exploration" I did a few weeks ago concerning the "welcome" page. I am now almost 100% convinced that something like an Apache web server is needed for this facility even though some code for this exists in OpenSim!

Karen