Re: [Opensim-dev] new release system - 0.6.4

Re: [Opensim-dev] new release system - 0.6.4

Stefan Andersson
Hi all,

I tagged 0.6.4-release yesterday, it's basically based on the rev 8732. The reason for the delay between the taggin ot the rc and this release tag is I've been quite swamped recently, and also, I wanted to get some more feedback on the rc before committing to it.

To access the 0.6.4-release, you checkout /tags/0.6.4-release (instead of /trunk) but the preferred branch to checkout is is /branches/0.6.4-post-fixes which will include all patches applied after the tag (think patches)

I have now gone thru the motions of my earlier light-weight release cycle proposal, and it feels good and solid - a release cycle with a minimum of fuss. I think we can do that for a while.

Again, if you want to help out in the work with the stable release cycle, you can

1) Propose stable revs (Charles and OSGrid is doing an excellent job with this) to me or any other core dev.
2) Propose good revs and patches to apply on the current post-fixes branch
3) use the post-fixes or rc, whichever is more current, and report back on stability (to me or any other core dev)
4) Help us keep the wiki download section up to date with regards to what is the current prefferred checkout path.

I know the release cycle is inofficially kind of my baby, but I have, like all of the core devs, varying amounts of time to devote to this, so help is appreciated, and the wiki is free for all to keep current.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:20:42 +0200
Subject: [Opensim-dev] new release system - 6.4

Hi Stefan,

Where do i get the „official” 6.4 from now on ?  (SVN, source)

Cheers,

Ralf

Re: [Opensim-dev] new release system - 0.6.4

FredoChaplin
Hi Stefan,

The tagging of 0.6.4-release is traditional in OS, and thanks for that.

But, according to the recent bloody war after April 1st, it appears clearly that maybe too many peoples are following the trunk builds.

Upgrading from tagged release to tagged release would be safer for people willing to keep safe. But including the release number in the tag, plus maybe a post release tag for patched release, and so on is not really an easy way to make the deal.

Wouldn't be easier to provide an alias tag called "stable" or "prod" or "recommended", following the latest most recommended build ? With the additionnal advantage not to be obliged to adjust scripts with the release number.

But maybe does it already exist, in which case information should be made clearer.

Thanks to all of you for all your efforts and work.

Fredo Chaplin

Re: [Opensim-dev] new release system - 0.6.4

Sean Dague-2
FredoChaplin wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> The tagging of 0.6.4-release is traditional in OS, and thanks for that.
>
> But, according to the recent bloody war after April 1st, it appears clearly that maybe too many peoples are following the trunk builds.
>
> Upgrading from tagged release to tagged release would be safer for people willing to keep safe. But including the release number in the tag, plus maybe a post release tag for patched release, and so on is not really an easy way to make the deal.
>
> Wouldn't be easier to provide an alias tag called "stable" or "prod" or "recommended", following the latest most recommended build ? With the additionnal advantage not to be obliged to adjust scripts with the release number.

As this is specifically alpha still, I don't think any of those tag
names are appropriately cautious enough, lest someone misinterpret those.

I think having releases and trunk is the right way to go about it.
There are ways to retarget an svn tree, and if someone wants to make
scripts that do that for users, that's cool.  But I don't think we
should make the release process have more steps, or have tag names
moving out from under people, as that's likely to just cause new issues.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
[hidden email]

Re: new release system - 0.6.4

Dave Coyle
On 2009-04-03 10:40:15 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> Upgrading from tagged release to tagged release would be safer for
> people willing to keep safe. But including the release number in the
> tag, plus maybe a post release tag for patched release, and so on is
> not really an easy way to make the deal.

The current path Stefan  has us on prevents ambiguity about which
version you're checking out and makes packaging releases quite easy.
If you use non-versioned tags like "recommended", you always end up
having the following conversation:

    "I'm having a problem."
    "With which version?"
    "The 'recommended' one."