Re: Opensim-users] How to compile opensim for windows

Re: Opensim-users] How to compile opensim for windows

aiaustin

>From: "Thomas Ringate" <[hidden email]>
>How to compile opensim for windows

Thomas, for the latest 0.8l.1 dev master you first need to get a good
install of the .NET 4.0 framework (several version should be able to
coexist if needed) and you have to have Visual Studio 2010 (the
Express free version is fine).  The SP1 service pack updates via
Windows Update did cause me an issue (as it has many others) but
obtaining the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 downloader and launching it
myself resolved that.

I suggest you get those installed without any errors before you even
think about proceeding.

I installed I have those on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 systems both 32
bit and 64 bit. I never use Visual Studio and the .sln files for that
in my own build process, its just there to allow for the
runprebuild.bat and compile.bat in OpenSim to work.

I can then just download and unzip the current 0.8.1 dev master from
http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=shortlog&p=opensim

I change to the unzip directory

runprebuild.bat

compile.bat

Copy the ./bin directory created to my main OpenSim run directory

Copy over that the various configuration files (I track changes to
the config .ini files and ever so often do a proper comparison to
make sure I have not missed any additions or changes). Note that as a
check I have it such that nothing will be replaced at all.. files are
just added.

The I can run bin./OpenSim.exe

I practice I have some scripts I can use for this... but this manual
process is the basis and I use it all the time. One server build or
update can take less than a couple of minutes.

Hope that helps a bit.