Re: Question about batch upload (Ferd Frederix reply)

Re: Question about batch upload (Ferd Frederix reply)

Fred Beckhusen-2
re: 1. Question about batch upload (Chris)

Batch uploads abort on my grid in a similar manner.  My sims and asset
server are on the same Windows machine.   Teleports are flaky, too.
Another symptom is periodic failures to save a script - but saving a
script to inventory always works.

This apparently is caused by my high-end router.   Adding a software
loopback adapter to the server cures every symptom,  but this prevents
other machines on the LAN from connecting.    I am going to reflash a
new router to the OpenWRT standard so I can stop starting at Wireshark
logs and get some work done.

Fred/Ferd Frederix

On 2015-09-30 7:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>     1. Question about batch upload (Chris)
>
> Hello all,
>
> I am having an issue with batch uploads to OpenSim with some viewers. It
> seems like at one point in time viewers used to have a momentary pause
> between each upload (I'm assuming so it wouldn't overload the
> destination server) but on some of the more recent viewers this "pause"
> is no longer there and they attempt to send everything all at once. If I
> try to upload more than just a few things at a time there's a high
> chance I'll get an "Unable to upload asset" error on a random file(s) to
> upload and then I have to hunt down what was missing and try again. I
> suspect this may be a MySQL misconfiguration and the flood of asset
> write requests is tripping some limit in MySQL; but I am not sure what
> configuration parameter that could possibly be (if any) or if perhaps I
> have something configured wrong in OpenSim.ini?. Would anyone be able to
> shed some light on this please?
>
> Thank you!

Re: Question about batch upload (Ferd Frederix reply)

Chris M
I don't usually see scripts failing to save altogether (I have seen it
on very rare occasion but not enough to have me concerned about it; it's
usually when I've accidentally introduced an infinite loop in my script
or the script is otherwise taking a long time to process its event(s))
although on occasion they can be "slow" to save and it'll reflect that
in the console something to the effect of "Slow post (ms it took here)
etc etc" but it does eventually save.

As far as bulk uploads in general I've tried on a number of different
configurations though (OS, MySQL and viewer on same machine; OS/MySQL on
one machine, viewer on another; etc) and several different routers but
the effect appears to be the same. I believe it is due to the difference
in how some viewers handle bulk uploads; some of them (usually the older
viewers such as Phoenix Viewer) introduce a slight pause (about 0.1
maybe 0.2 seconds) between each upload and will have a 100% success rate
(given that there are no connectivity or other issues of course); but
others (especially the more recent viewers) just seem to slam the server
with everything all at once and will randomly fail on some of the
uploads. There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason as to what file it
fails on that I can tell other than I'm guessing something somewhere
along the way is refusing the upload. I can't tell if it's a
misconfiguration of MySQL or perhaps a misconfiguration of the network
settings for OpenSim on my part.

On 9/30/2015 9:39 AM, Fred Beckhusen wrote:

> re: 1. Question about batch upload (Chris)
>
> Batch uploads abort on my grid in a similar manner.  My sims and asset
> server are on the same Windows machine.   Teleports are flaky, too.
> Another symptom is periodic failures to save a script - but saving a
> script to inventory always works.
>
> This apparently is caused by my high-end router.   Adding a software
> loopback adapter to the server cures every symptom,  but this prevents
> other machines on the LAN from connecting.    I am going to reflash a
> new router to the OpenWRT standard so I can stop starting at Wireshark
> logs and get some work done.
>
> Fred/Ferd Frederix
>

> On 2015-09-30 7:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>     1. Question about batch upload (Chris)
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am having an issue with batch uploads to OpenSim with some viewers. It
>> seems like at one point in time viewers used to have a momentary pause
>> between each upload (I'm assuming so it wouldn't overload the
>> destination server) but on some of the more recent viewers this "pause"
>> is no longer there and they attempt to send everything all at once. If I
>> try to upload more than just a few things at a time there's a high
>> chance I'll get an "Unable to upload asset" error on a random file(s) to
>> upload and then I have to hunt down what was missing and try again. I
>> suspect this may be a MySQL misconfiguration and the flood of asset
>> write requests is tripping some limit in MySQL; but I am not sure what
>> configuration parameter that could possibly be (if any) or if perhaps I
>> have something configured wrong in OpenSim.ini?. Would anyone be able to
>> shed some light on this please?
>>
>> Thank you!

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.8.1 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core 3.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB DDR3