Re: Standalone vs. Grid

Luis Hernández
Hi. After running OpenSim in standalone mode, i tried to set up the Grid mode in order to let people connect remotely while seeing each other with their respective avatars.

I migrated to MySQL and configured OpenSim.ini following this tutorial that is the most complete that I have found:

http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/2008/11/4-working-in-grid-mode.html

As a previous poster said, problems arise running UGAIM servers.

There are many people (including me) having this problem running the UGAIM: The error appears running the OpenSim.Grid.Gridserver, after MySql starts 10 threads, it crashes. You can see several reports of this error at the end of that page.

Any possible solution?

Re: Standalone vs. Grid

andrew johnson-3

yes i have same problem - when i swicthed to mysql

________________________________

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:27:31 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Standalone vs. Grid
>
> Hi. After running OpenSim in standalone mode, i tried to set up the Grid mode in order to let people connect remotely while seeing each other with their respective avatars.
>
> I migrated to MySQL and configured OpenSim.ini following this tutorial that is the most complete that I have found:
>

> http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/2008/11/4-working-in-grid-mode.html
>
> As a previous poster said, problems arise running UGAIM servers.
>

> There are many people (including me) having this problem running the UGAIM: The error appears running the OpenSim.Grid.Gridserver, after MySql starts 10 threads, it crashes. You can see several reports of this error at the end of that page.
>

> Any possible solution?

Re: Standalone vs. Grid

Diva Canto
Just to clarify: people don't need to run a multiple-server grid in
order for other people to connect to their virtual worlds. You can run a
standalone grid -- all services in the same process, including the
region service -- and people will be able to connect, as long as the
ports are properly open.

My advice for people who don't plan to operate a large-scale virtual
world is to stick to standalone, only changing to using MySQL as the DB
backend. It's so much easier to operate and maintain!

If there are any questions on any of this, please let's hear them. I'm
not sure where on the Wiki we project the message that a multiple-server
grid is necessary in order to let people in -- we need to get rid of
that message.