Quantcast

ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

12

ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

John "Pathfinder" Lester
We just announced it.  Woot!

http://reactiongrid.com/pages/press_groups.aspx

-John

----------------------------
John Lester
Director, Community Development
ReactionGrid
http://reactiongrid.com

Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: [AKO Warning - Message fails DKIM verification] ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Villano, Paul Mr CIV USA TRADOC
But this only works foe folks using Windows?

On Dec 2, 2010, at 3:50 PM, "John \"Pathfinder\" Lester" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We just announced it.  Woot!
>
> http://reactiongrid.com/pages/press_groups.aspx
>

> -John
>
> ----------------------------
> John Lester
> Director, Community Development
> ReactionGrid
> http://reactiongrid.com
>
> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Marcus Alexander Link
A press release.

This is something i actually did not expect to receive via the
opensim-users group...

Marcus

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, John "Pathfinder" Lester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We just announced it.  Woot!
>
> http://reactiongrid.com/pages/press_groups.aspx
>

> -John
>
> ----------------------------
> John Lester
> Director, Community Development
> ReactionGrid
> http://reactiongrid.com
>
> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source GroupsFunctionality for OpenSimulator

GarminKawaguichi
It is a good initiative and I hope this will clarify the use of groups in
OpenSim

It's also great to share with others a new feature

It is always nice to have some good news

GCI

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Olli Aro
Administrator
Yes agree. Feels a bit weird commercial organisation using this list as a marketing channel...

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Dec 2010, at 20:57, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A press release.
>
> This is something i actually did not expect to receive via the
> opensim-users group...
>
> Marcus
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, John "Pathfinder" Lester
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We just announced it.  Woot!
>>
>> http://reactiongrid.com/pages/press_groups.aspx
>>

>> -John
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> John Lester
>> Director, Community Development
>> ReactionGrid
>> http://reactiongrid.com
>>
>> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
>> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>>
>> “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
>> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
>> vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Sean Hennessee
They are releasing it as open source and will be feeding it back to the
core opensim project. That is worthy of an announcement on this list!
~Sean

On 12/02/2010 01:04 PM, Olli Aro wrote:

> Yes agree. Feels a bit weird commercial organisation using this list as a marketing channel...
>
> Olli
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2 Dec 2010, at 20:57, Marcus Alexander Link<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> A press release.
>>
>> This is something i actually did not expect to receive via the
>> opensim-users group...
>>
>> Marcus
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, John "Pathfinder" Lester
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> We just announced it.  Woot!
>>>
>>> http://reactiongrid.com/pages/press_groups.aspx
>>>

>>> -John

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Jason Shipley-2
They're not marketing here, just sharing the wealth of their efforts.
They're developers in the same ocean as the rest of us and just as devoted
to the cause.

I'm glad to see someone finally came up with a groups implementation
stable enough for serious production environments.

Jason

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:04:21 -0600, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes agree. Feels a bit weird commercial organisation using this list as
> a marketing channel...
>
> Olli
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 2 Dec 2010, at 20:57, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> A press release.
>>
>> This is something i actually did not expect to receive via the
>> opensim-users group...
>>
>> Marcus
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, John "Pathfinder" Lester
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Fleep Tuque

I for one appreciate the information and any group - even commercial ones - who contributes new open code/functionality for opensim should be able to post here, no?

Look forward to checking out the new groups function and thx for the info!

-Chris/Fleep

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

James Stallings II
Groups have been around for a while in OpenSim as FlotsamXMLRpcGroups

Many see this  solution as unsatisfactory as it's not a core part of OpenSim. However, that is due to an architectural decision by opensim core developers, and this new groups implementation, while novel, is probably not about to change that core architectural perspective.

While not bad news that there is a new groups effort, groups functionality isn't exactly 'new' to OpenSim.

Just Sayin' :v

Cheers
James

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:

I for one appreciate the information and any group - even commercial ones - who contributes new open code/functionality for opensim should be able to post here, no?

Look forward to checking out the new groups function and thx for the info!

-Chris/Fleep

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Marcus Alexander Link
There are lots of people contributing to opensim,

most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their time -
delivering free support to people who have questions, and are not
writing a press release about everything they do.
Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this list,
for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).

Btw, there are already other group modules.

Marcus A. Link
(Fim Fischer in SL)
http://www.manupool.com

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I for one appreciate the information and any group - even commercial ones -
> who contributes new open code/functionality for opensim should be able to
> post here, no?
>
> Look forward to checking out the new groups function and thx for the info!
>
> -Chris/Fleep

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

M.E. Verhagen
There can not be enough group modules around.

I am waiting for one wich intergrates with the hypergrid and social networks.

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Olli Aro
Administrator
Yes agree it is useful knowledge and no better channel for it in order to reach the most of the opensim user community.

I suppose it is just a difficult balance when it is a commercial organisation who is responsible for the announcement without it coming across as marketing...

Just out of interest. Why is nobody developing the groups functionality as a core feature? For me it would seem like very useful out of the box feature?

Regards

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Dec 2010, at 21:34, "Jason Shipley" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They're not marketing here, just sharing the wealth of their efforts.  They're developers in the same ocean as the rest of us and just as devoted to the cause.
>
> I'm glad to see someone finally came up with a groups implementation stable enough for serious production environments.
>
> Jason
>

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:04:21 -0600, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes agree. Feels a bit weird commercial organisation using this list as a marketing channel...
>>
>> Olli
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 2 Dec 2010, at 20:57, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> A press release.
>>>
>>> This is something i actually did not expect to receive via the
>>> opensim-users group...
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM, John "Pathfinder" Lester
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> <snip>

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

justincc
On 02/12/10 22:22, Olli Aro wrote:
> Yes agree it is useful knowledge and no better channel for it in order to reach the most of the opensim user community.
>
> I suppose it is just a difficult balance when it is a commercial organisation who is responsible for the announcement without it coming across as marketing...
>
> Just out of interest. Why is nobody developing the groups functionality as a core feature? For me it would seem like very useful out of the box feature?

In general, I would say that we're trying to avoid having more stuff to maintain in core, especially as third party
groups services exist already.

Having said that, I haven't heard strong opposition to having groups in core since it is a fairly major piece of
functionality.  But that also means that it's quite a lot of work to do.

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Fleep Tuque
Not to be too pointed, but I thought this was the "opensim-users" listserv, not the "opensim-noncommercialonlyusers" listserv.

In order for opensim to continue to grow into a robust and diverse community, it's vitally important that there be communication channels for sharing information between all users - for profit and not, educational and private, personal and corporate.  If that isn't this list then someone should make one, because it would be a shame if someone who has valuable information doesn't post because it's perceived as unwelcome.

There's always the delete key if you don't like a particular post, but it sure seems to me that an opensource project should welcome announcements like "hey we developed this thing and we're going to contribute it back to the community", regardless of the source.

Respectfully,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are lots of people contributing to opensim,

most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their time -
delivering free support to people who have questions, and are not
writing a press release about everything they do.
Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this list,
for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).

Btw, there are already other group modules.

Marcus A. Link
(Fim Fischer in SL)
http://www.manupool.com

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Skidz Tweak
This is awesome news, just in time because I am setting up a all windows
grid :)

I could think of some kewl things I would love to do with groups, including
stuff like ranking systems, so on...

Can you give any good examples of how this could "greatly enhance
OpenSimulator’s capabilities for collaboration and community development"?

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Marcus Alexander Link
Fleep,

I believe you are well informed about your topic, Second Life -
OpenSimulator and
assume you read the related blogs, that you are regularly visiting the
related news sites like http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/ -
where a "Press release" should be send to.

Most of the participants and contributors of this list don't write a
press release about every commitment they do.
If they would, the mailinglist would clearly become just another
marketing channel - and therefore useless to deliver
support for people who have questions and are in need of support.

Regards,

Marcus A. Link

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not to be too pointed, but I thought this was the "opensim-users" listserv,
> not the "opensim-noncommercialonlyusers" listserv.
> In order for opensim to continue to grow into a robust and diverse
> community, it's vitally important that there be communication channels for
> sharing information between all users - for profit and not, educational and
> private, personal and corporate.  If that isn't this list then someone
> should make one, because it would be a shame if someone who has valuable
> information doesn't post because it's perceived as unwelcome.
> There's always the delete key if you don't like a particular post, but it
> sure seems to me that an opensource project should welcome announcements
> like "hey we developed this thing and we're going to contribute it back to
> the community", regardless of the source.
> Respectfully,
> - Chris/Fleep
>
> Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> Project Manager, UC Second Life
> Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
> UCit Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406E Zimmer Hall
> PO Box 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> (513)556-3018
> [hidden email]
> UC Second Life:   http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife
> OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php
>

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> There are lots of people contributing to opensim,
>>
>> most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their time -
>> delivering free support to people who have questions, and are not
>> writing a press release about everything they do.
>> Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
>> volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this list,
>> for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).
>>
>> Btw, there are already other group modules.
>>

>> Marcus A. Link
>> (Fim Fischer in SL)
>> http://www.manupool.com

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

James Stallings II
Marcus,

Give 'em a break, kk?

Like the man said earlier in the thread, this is not the 'everybody-who-uses-opensim-but-commercial-interests' list; it's an opensim user's list. FYI FAR more work has been conducted on opensim by monied interests than not.

Cheers
James

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php
>

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Marcus Alexander Link <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> There are lots of people contributing to opensim,
>>
>> most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their time -
>> delivering free support to people who have questions, and are not
>> writing a press release about everything they do.
>> Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
>> volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this list,
>> for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).
>>
>> Btw, there are already other group modules.
>>

>> Marcus A. Link
>> (Fim Fischer in SL)
>> http://www.manupool.com

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

Pathfinder has the spirit of a pioneer and in his blog and his creation of the "Adventurers Club" and a lot of other ventures he lets this pioneer spirit shine through.  He may not have even known about the other group modules.  I didn't.  In fact, I'm still waiting to get my question answered whether since his solution is Windows based whether I can use it on a Mac.  But the bottom line is that I believe his contribution was not a business venture but a sincere note of excitement as a pioneer as we're all traversing new territory.  To use his analogy of pioneers, if the chuckwagons are going across the desert, I don't think anyone cares if the person who brings water has a commercial label on it or if there are other water sources as well we didn't know about.

The whole Opensim/Reaction grid thing is an attempt at wayfinding for solutions.  His is one.  Instead of attacking (maybe being too sensitive to the landlords of the lands we're leaving) let's not over-react to fellow list members and question their motives unless there is an outright sales pitch or "check our prices" line involved.

> I believe you are well informed about your topic, Second Life -
> OpenSimulator and
> assume you read the related blogs, that you are regularly visiting the
> related news sites like http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/ -
> where a "Press release" should be send to.
>
> Most of the participants and contributors of this list don't write a
> press release about every commitment they do.
> If they would, the mailinglist would clearly become just another
> marketing channel - and therefore useless to deliver
> support for people who have questions and are in need of support.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marcus A. Link
>
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Fleep Tuque < wrote:
> > Not to be too pointed, but I thought this was the "opensim-users" listserv,
> > not the "opensim-noncommercialonlyusers" listserv.
> > In order for opensim to continue to grow into a robust and diverse
> > community, it's vitally important that there be communication channels for
> > sharing information between all users - for profit and not, educational and
> > private, personal and corporate.  If that isn't this list then someone
> > should make one, because it would be a shame if someone who has valuable
> > information doesn't post because it's perceived as unwelcome.
> > There's always the delete key if you don't like a particular post, but it
> > sure seems to me that an opensource project should welcome announcements
> > like "hey we developed this thing and we're going to contribute it back to
> > the community", regardless of the source.
> > Respectfully,
> > - Chris/Fleep
> >
> > Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> > Project Manager, UC Second Life
> > Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
> > UCit Instructional & Research Computing
> > University of Cincinnati
> > 406E Zimmer Hall
> > PO Box 210088
> > Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> > (513)556-3018
> > [hidden email]
> > UC Second Life:   http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife
> > OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Marcus Alexander Link <
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> There are lots of people contributing to opensim,
> >>
> >> most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their time -
> >> delivering free support to people who have questions, and are not
> >> writing a press release about everything they do.
> >> Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
> >> volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this list,
> >> for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).
> >>
> >> Btw, there are already other group modules.
> >>

> >> Marcus A. Link
> >> (Fim Fischer in SL)
> >> http://www.manupool.com

Re: ReactionGrid Releases Open Source Groups Functionality for OpenSimulator

John "Pathfinder" Lester
The purpose of a Press Release *can* be a stupid and empty marketing
ploy.  Unfortunately, many companies do that kind of thing.  So I
understand how some folks might have aggressive antibodies against any
email that begins with those words.

That said, my purpose in posting the Press Release was to share what I
think is relevant and interesting news with a community of pioneering
users.  Many users have asked us for Group functionality, our code is
stable enough for a production environment, and we're releasing our
code as open source because we want to help the entire Opensim
community grow.

As for the more technical questions about our implementation, I'l
defer to Chris Hart (ReactionGrid's CTO) who can fill folks in on
those details.  I'll ask her to post here shortly.

-John

----------------------------
John Lester
Director, Community Development
ReactionGrid
http://reactiongrid.com

Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Villano, Paul Mr CIV USA TRADOC
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pathfinder has the spirit of a pioneer and in his blog and his creation of the "Adventurers Club" and a lot of other ventures he lets this pioneer spirit shine through.  He may not have even known about the other group modules.  I didn't.  In fact, I'm still waiting to get my question answered whether since his solution is Windows based whether I can use it on a Mac.  But the bottom line is that I believe his contribution was not a business venture but a sincere note of excitement as a pioneer as we're all traversing new territory.  To use his analogy of pioneers, if the chuckwagons are going across the desert, I don't think anyone cares if the person who brings water has a commercial label on it or if there are other water sources as well we didn't know about.
>
> The whole Opensim/Reaction grid thing is an attempt at wayfinding for solutions.  His is one.  Instead of attacking (maybe being too sensitive to the landlords of the lands we're leaving) let's not over-react to fellow list members and question their motives unless there is an outright sales pitch or "check our prices" line involved.

My guess is that the Windows lock-in is for the server technology, but sure
you should be able to use it with MAC or Linux client software.

Maybe Pathfinder could also post us the link to the source code repository,
so we all could see how this compares to other group modules available
already :)

Olli

> I believe you are well informed about your topic, Second Life -
> OpenSimulator and assume you read the related blogs, that you are
> regularly visiting the related news sites like
> http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/ - where a "Press release" should be
> send to.
>
> Most of the participants and contributors of this list don't write a
> press release about every commitment they do.
> If they would, the mailinglist would clearly become just another
> marketing channel - and therefore useless to deliver support for
> people who have questions and are in need of support.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marcus A. Link
>
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM, Fleep Tuque < wrote:
> > Not to be too pointed, but I thought this was the "opensim-users"
> > listserv, not the "opensim-noncommercialonlyusers" listserv.
> > In order for opensim to continue to grow into a robust and diverse
> > community, it's vitally important that there be communication
> > channels for sharing information between all users - for profit and
> > not, educational and private, personal and corporate.  If that isn't
> > this list then someone should make one, because it would be a shame
> > if someone who has valuable information doesn't post because it's
perceived as unwelcome.

> > There's always the delete key if you don't like a particular post,
> > but it sure seems to me that an opensource project should welcome
> > announcements like "hey we developed this thing and we're going to
> > contribute it back to the community", regardless of the source.
> > Respectfully,
> > - Chris/Fleep
> >
> > Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
> > Project Manager, UC Second Life
> > Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network UCit Instructional &
> > Research Computing University of Cincinnati 406E Zimmer Hall PO Box
> > 210088 Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> > (513)556-3018
> > [hidden email]
> > UC Second Life:   http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife
> > OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php
> >

> > On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Marcus Alexander Link <
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> There are lots of people contributing to opensim,
> >>
> >> most of them are volunteering, contributing their efforts - their
> >> time - delivering free support to people who have questions, and
> >> are not writing a press release about everything they do.
> >> Press releases as Lester posted are 'using the effort', the work
> >> volunteers contributed (free support for instance) through this
> >> list, for the benefit of that company (ReactionGrid).
> >>
> >> Btw, there are already other group modules.
> >>

> >> Marcus A. Link
> >> (Fim Fischer in SL)
> >> http://www.manupool.com

12