ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall solution before LL

ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall solution before LL

JaniP
Good news for Opensim, and congratulations to ReactionGrid!

Who will be the first one to offer Modrex?

Best regards,
Jani

Re: ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall solution before LL

Ralf Haifisch
Heho,

while being "one of those maxping´s" I am still part of the community and
try to answer, see below..  :-)
Btw - not a native english speaker myself, throw tomatoes for bad wording.

------------------------------
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:48:32 +0000
From: Opensource Obscure <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall
        solution before LL
To: <[hidden email]>
Cc: realxtend <[hidden email]>

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:58:26 +0300, Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> Good news for Opensim, and congratulations to ReactionGrid!

http://www.maxping.org/business/news/reactiongrid-offers-behind-the-firewall
-virtual-world-server.aspx

I'd like to hear comments about this. Comments by Opensim developers
who are not directly involved with ReactionGrid, if possible, would be
even better. That would greatly help me in a better understanding of
the whole situation, as actually I'm a bit concerned by this kind
of news. Please, note that I don't mean to offend anyone at
ReactionGrid (or Maxping) with this message - also note I'm not a
native english speaker.

1. software:
Opensim (as a software) is not complete yet.
It doesn't offer all features that Second Life (as a software) offers.

--> and hopefully that is still not a target..  Opensim is not a Second Life
clone.  But if you look at the "SL-compatible" market it seems to have the
best position, esp. because it has advanced features SL does not have.
That is basically why Jani did compare to SL. Compatible, each side with
some advantages.

2. community:
Opensim-based grids have a limited number of users.
The Second Life grid has <put SL stats here> a relevant number of users.

--> we are talking about a solution for a ISOLATED grid.  A grid companys
run behind there firewall, keeping governance.  By that they could e.g. run
courses containing company secrets. So the absolute user number is
irrelevant.
Even better:  The "behind the Firewall" beta from Linden I have seen has no
connection to other grids. With Opensim you can still open one "peering
region" to welcome hypergrid visitors. Huge advantages for Opensim here.

3. service:
Opensim-based solution providers are obviously still young and small.
Linden Lab [even if you hated them] has many years of managing a
full-featured, huge grid and providing related services (support,
money exchange, inventory management, online trading..)

--> most serious people don´t hate Linden Labs and fully respect what they
did. But again, we are talking about running a grid on a company´s campus.
So they would be there own service provider. However - some companies
related to opensim are on the market for quite a while and since it´s open
source all knowledge is freely available - you will always get someone to
help you.

That's why I fear that stating "Opensim is competing with Second Life",
or "this Opensim-based solution is better than / was launched before
than the Linden Lab one", or something like that, could have negative
effects on how Opensim is perceived.

Isn't this "First!" attitude potentially dangerous when we communicate
and explain Opensim's development?

What do you think about that?

--> wether one like it or not , there will be a commercial competition. The
first question would be: is competition a bad thing ?  I (personally)
believe it isn´t. Mankind is driven by competing, by curiosity and
invention.
In this very special case, Opensim has more advantages on the usecase
wishlist  than SL has today.  If you want to have a community that has
inworld battles, likes boating and carraces SL is doing much better today -
no doubt.

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall solution before LL

JaniP
I would like to clarify that *ReactionGrid* is the competing one here. Opensim is not competing, and cannot do that - if Opensim ends up being better than SL, Linden Lab can take it and use it as they wish because Opensim is licensed in BSD.

Jani

wrote:
[...]

Best wishes,
Opensource Obscure

Re: ReactionGrid offers behind the firewall solution before LL

Chris Hart
Speaking as one of the owners of ReactionGrid - this is a new product we
are launching because we have folks who are interested in OpenSim as a
behind a firewall solution. We host many grids for clients that are not
public already, so this is just an evolution from hosting an OpenSim
grid on one of our servers, to hosting it on one of theirs, but with
some support. We already spend time in-world with private grid clients
to help them make the most of what they have, and we will do our best to
help the behind-the-firewall solution customers too with training and
support.

We love the potential of OpenSim, but we are not blind to its
limitations, and we never hide this from people. We run a public grid,
we host public events, and yes, we crash! we know as well as you do that
this is an alpha - but it's one hell of an alpha that, if you can work
with it and not against it, is extremely rewarding and has enormous
potential for all sorts of sectors. We have kids on our grid every day
learning about geometry, textures, colour pallets, you name it - and the
energy you see from them when they get things looking the way they want,
getting a script running, or enthusing about meeting some kids from the
other side of the world - it's infectious! I'm sorry, I kinda love that
part of my job, and that's all thanks to the current state of OpenSim,
which goes straight back to the devs who work on it.

Jani and Ralf have written many articles about us already, and for that
we are grateful :) I am very open to hearing any opinions on our plans
from anyone else, on either side of whatever fence we are on today.

wrote:
> Good news for Opensim, and congratulations to ReactionGrid!

http://www.maxping.org/business/news/reactiongrid-offers-behind-the-fire
wall-virtual-world-server.aspx

I'd like to hear comments about this. Comments by Opensim developers
who are not directly involved with ReactionGrid, if possible, would be
even better. That would greatly help me in a better understanding of
the whole situation, as actually I'm a bit concerned by this kind
of news. Please, note that I don't mean to offend anyone at
ReactionGrid (or Maxping) with this message - also note I'm not a
native english speaker.

1. software:
Opensim (as a software) is not complete yet.
It doesn't offer all features that Second Life (as a software) offers.

2. community:
Opensim-based grids have a limited number of users.
The Second Life grid has <put SL stats here> a relevant number of users.

3. service:
Opensim-based solution providers are obviously still young and small.
Linden Lab [even if you hated them] has many years of managing a
full-featured, huge grid and providing related services (support,
money exchange, inventory management, online trading..)

That's why I fear that stating "Opensim is competing with Second Life",
or "this Opensim-based solution is better than / was launched before
than the Linden Lab one", or something like that, could have negative
effects on how Opensim is perceived.

Isn't this "First!" attitude potentially dangerous when we communicate
and explain Opensim's development?

What do you think about that?

Best wishes,
Opensource Obscure