Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

aiaustin

>Melanie on 2010-07-27 wrote:
>the current Freeswitch module is deprecated....
>
>Justin CC on 2010-07-27 wrote:
>I understand the deprecation but I trust that we will not remove
>this module until a replacement exists.  The current
>module appears to work (at least to some extent) and people are
>actively using it.
>
>This deprecation needs to be recorded somewhere, possibly
>OpenSim.ini.example.  This is the first that I've heard of it
>and I can't locate a written record.

Ah okay... news to me too.. did not spot that on opensim-dev or
opensim-users.  It works fine in fact and its in widespread use on
live grids.  We just got our Freeswitch services going with a bit of
concentrated effort and help from other Opensim Freeswitch users
after resolving a number of issues mostly through confusing or
limited context configuration instructions.

So, the question is what is to be the voice solution or solutions
that can be recommended for Opensim and that we might be able to use
in future, as voice is clearly an essential feature?

I know others have set up Vivox which provides high causality voice
facilities... but I have not investigated what the costs would be, or
more realistically for man Opensim community userrs, if there is a
non-commercial offering that can be used via Vivox?

I wonder if another open source and high quality voice solution
should be the bass from people's experience?  opensim-users may be
the better place to discuss that as the user base there might be
wider than opensim-dev... hence also posted to that list. Suggest a
rely to users only please as most dev folks see users too.

Re: [Opensim-dev] Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

Toni Alatalo
On ti, 2010-07-27 at 19:52 +0100, Ai Austin wrote:
> I wonder if another open source and high quality voice solution
> should be the bass from people's experience?  opensim-users may be
> the better place to discuss that as the user base there might be

We are using Mumble quite happily within RealXtend, the existing server
code as is and then the client side have integrated to the Naali viewer.
An OpenSim module tells the client where the mumble channel for the
region is. People have been happy with the voice quality and the server
is afaik easy to set up.

It might be quite easy to write a slvoice replacement that talks Mumble,
to be used with the Linden based viewers (like Hippo and Imprudence and
friends), as slvoice is a separate little app that the viewer talks
with. We haven't done that 'cause are not using slviewer for other
reasons, but is I think option for people who need the slviewer
featureset otherwise. Perhaps something from the Naali mumble client
module code could be reused for that, or at least directly the mumblelib
that we use too.

I find it's also nice that people with the normal mumble client can join
in without needing a full viewer. Though I guess that work with
freeswitch too if that's some SIP thing, dunno.

~Toni

Re: Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

At 11:00 29/07/2010, Toni Alatalo wrote:

>It might be quite easy to write a slvoice replacement that talks Mumble,
>to be used with the Linden based viewers (like Hippo and Imprudence and
>friends), as slvoice is a separate little app that the viewer talks
>with. We haven't done that 'cause are not using slviewer for other
>reasons, but is I think option for people who need the slviewer
>featureset otherwise. Perhaps something from the Naali mumble client
>module code could be reused for that, or at least directly the mumblelib
>that we use too.
>
>I find it's also nice that people with the normal mumble client can join
>in without needing a full viewer. Though I guess that [will] work with
>freeswitch too if that's some SIP thing, dunno.

Yes, I believe Freeswitch is standard SIP along with H.323 call
initiation perhaps.  I can say that when we opened our network
boundary firewall for Freeswitch use externally it was all standard
ports of this type.  So I would imagine any suitable VoIP server
would be able to be used in Opensim with appropriate module in the
server side, without any client change at all.

I can confirm from our own tests that Freeswitch works fine with out
of the box SL Viewers (1.23.5 and 2.1) and with lightweight non-3D
client that supports voice such as the Radegast Metaverse Client.

Re: Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

At 11:00 29/07/2010, Toni Alatalo wrote:
>It might be quite easy to write a slvoice replacement that talks Mumble,
>to be used with the Linden based viewers (like Hippo and Imprudence and
>friends), as slvoice is a separate little app that the viewer talks
>with. We haven't done that 'cause are not using slviewer for other
>reasons, but is I think option for people who need the slviewer
>featureset otherwise. Perhaps something from the Naali mumble client
>module code could be reused for that, or at least directly the mumblelib
>that we use too.

Mumble sounds promising given what is was developed for... very
compatible with usage in Opensim... and it seems to offer "game"
interaction for distance/direction like Vivox. See

      http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
      http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Games

Toni, iIs the RealXtend module for Mumble compatible with the master
branch of Opensim in a way that it could be offered as an option to
the current Freeswitch and Vivox modules?  I assume it would also
need an exemplar section for its configuratioand to allow it to be
enabled in opensim.ini?

Re: Recommended Approach for Voice for Opensim

We note that Freeswitch voice works fine in SL Viewer 1.23.5 and
Radegast 1.22.715, but it does not connect at all if you try to use
SL Viewer 2.1. is that what folks expect?  Has some change been made
to the voice in the SL Viewer 2 series that make it incompatible with
the Opensim Freeswitch module? Or is it something simpler that can be
changed to make it works fine.

SL Viewer 2 works fine with Opensim in other respects after you
reattach your hair and things which seem to get dropped when its first used.

I ask that as we need to use the SL Viewer 2 for most of what we do
nowadays due to media on a prim being so prevalent in our use of
virtual worlds... as we will be keen to move on to use MOAP when
Justin incorporates it into future versions of Opensim,.  And as I
said voice is actually a critical element of course for collaboration
uses of virtual worlds. So its NEARLY all coming together.