Rectangular holes in the terrain

Frank W Sweet
This is just an oddity that I have noticed. It happens in all SVNs.
Come to thinkof it, it also happens in Linden's SL.

Sometimes when an avatar TPs into its home region, there are large
rectangular holes in the terain. If you walk up to one of the huge
rectangular holes in the land you can look down and see water way down
there. Large prims are also sometimes invisible (building roofs,
monument bases) after a TP. It is not a serious problem because other
avatars in the same place see things normally, and relogging usually
fixes it.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Like I said, it sometimes
happens in SL too.

Frank W Sweet
Backintyme Publishing

Re: Rectangular holes in the terrain

Ethan Gardener
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:37:39 -0500, "Frank W Sweet"
<[hidden email]> said:

> This is just an oddity that I have noticed. It happens in all SVNs.
> Come to thinkof it, it also happens in Linden's SL.
>
> Sometimes when an avatar TPs into its home region, there are large
> rectangular holes in the terain. If you walk up to one of the huge
> rectangular holes in the land you can look down and see water way down
> there. Large prims are also sometimes invisible (building roofs,
> monument bases) after a TP. It is not a serious problem because other
> avatars in the same place see things normally, and relogging usually
> fixes it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Like I said, it sometimes
> happens in SL too.

I only get this temporarily while a sim rezzes, and only quite rarely.
It seems to me to simply be slow rezzing of the terrain, likely affected
by dropped packets.
wow.. wondering how to make it more general and less hard-coded is making my head hurt. that's a good sign that it's my code

Re: Rectangular holes in the terrain

Sacha Magne
it's an old friend of us :/

Just reduce the bandwith in your viewer and it will be ok.

<[hidden email]> said:
> This is just an oddity that I have noticed. It happens in all SVNs.
> Come to thinkof it, it also happens in Linden's SL.
>
> Sometimes when an avatar TPs into its home region, there are large
> rectangular holes in the terain. If you walk up to one of the huge
> rectangular holes in the land you can look down and see water way down
> there. Large prims are also sometimes invisible (building roofs,
> monument bases) after a TP. It is not a serious problem because other
> avatars in the same place see things normally, and relogging usually
> fixes it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this happens? Like I said, it sometimes
> happens in SL too.

I only get this temporarily while a sim rezzes, and only quite rarely.
It seems to me to simply be slow rezzing of the terrain, likely affected
by dropped packets.
wow.. wondering how to make it more general and less hard-coded is making my head hurt. that's a good sign that it's my code

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool