Region edge terraforming problem

Michael Huntington
Has anyone else had problems terraforming on the edge of a region when it's connected to another region? it seems the terraforming tools have a problem smoothing out the edges between two regions..... not only is there some lag but heights from terraforming the two regions become completely off.

Re: Region edge terraforming problem

Ai Austin
At 11:00 03/02/2009, Michael Huntington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Has anyone else had problems terraforming on the edge of a region when it's
>connected to another region? it seems the terraforming tools have a problem
>smoothing out the edges between two regions..... not only is there some lag
>but heights from terraforming the two regions become completely off.

Yes I have.   This is how I got it to work for me. Make sure you have
your avatar over the region you are adjusting, and only adjust one
side  to balance them up.  Then move your avatar to the other side
region and dio the same.  I agree that smoothing over the edges of
sims would be nice though, a sits difficult to get right otherwise.  Ai

Re: Region edge terraforming problem

Mic Bowman
FYI... There is a pretty useful region module for smoothing terrain
across region boundaries at
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/terraintools/ I've used
these a few times & they seem to work very well.

--mic

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 11:00 03/02/2009, Michael Huntington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Has anyone else had problems terraforming on the edge of a region when it's
>>connected to another region? it seems the terraforming tools have a problem
>>smoothing out the edges between two regions..... not only is there some lag
>>but heights from terraforming the two regions become completely off.
>

> Yes I have.   This is how I got it to work for me. Make sure you have
> your avatar over the region you are adjusting, and only adjust one
> side  to balance them up.  Then move your avatar to the other side
> region and dio the same.  I agree that smoothing over the edges of
> sims would be nice though, a sits difficult to get right otherwise.  Ai

And terrain textures too! (was: Region edge terraforming problem)

John Hopkin
Ai Austin wrote:

>At 11:00 03/02/2009, Michael Huntington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Has anyone else had problems terraforming on the edge of a region when it's
>>connected to another region? it seems the terraforming tools have a problem
>>smoothing out the edges between two regions..... not only is there some lag
>>but heights from terraforming the two regions become completely off.
>
>Yes I have.   This is how I got it to work for me. Make sure you have
>your avatar over the region you are adjusting, and only adjust one
>side  to balance them up.  Then move your avatar to the other side
>region and dio the same.  I agree that smoothing over the edges of
>sims would be nice though, a sits difficult to get right otherwise.  Ai

I've found it best to avoid using the "flatten" and "smooth" tools
near region boundaries, and just rely on "raise" and "lower" to adjust
terrain height.  You don't get the nice flat surfaces, of course, but
at least you can avoid having a visible join where the heights differ.

One problem I have that's somewhat related is in the textures on
boundaries.  If a region has different terrain texture heights in,
say, the west and the east, then the border where the east side meets
the next-door region seems to inherit some of the texture
characteristics of the west.

To give a concrete example, one of our regions is grass down to a low
level on the east and a higher level on the west (both north and south
quadrants adjusted for each side) where the region meets the ocean.
This gives us pure grass inland, but sand where the "beach" is.
However, along the eastern border, a land border with the next-door
region, there's a roughly 1m-wide strip of pure sand, which looks very
ugly.  We've not been able to get rid of that strip, and don't
particularly want to build on it.

Anyone any ideas on this one?
--
John Hopkin

Re: And terrain textures too!

Ursula MATOVA

Hi all,
Of course I have the same problems you all have with terraforming on
regions edges.
Just for your information, a Mantis has been opened a few weeks ago (
2008-12-06 ) on this point, as a "feature request".
Regards,
Ursula.

John Hopkin a écrit :

> Ai Austin wrote:
>

>> At 11:00 03/02/2009, Michael Huntington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone else had problems terraforming on the edge of a region when it's
>>> connected to another region? it seems the terraforming tools have a problem
>>> smoothing out the edges between two regions..... not only is there some lag
>>> but heights from terraforming the two regions become completely off.
>>>
>> Yes I have.   This is how I got it to work for me. Make sure you have
>> your avatar over the region you are adjusting, and only adjust one
>> side  to balance them up.  Then move your avatar to the other side
>> region and dio the same.  I agree that smoothing over the edges of
>> sims would be nice though, a sits difficult to get right otherwise.  Ai
>>

> I've found it best to avoid using the "flatten" and "smooth" tools
> near region boundaries, and just rely on "raise" and "lower" to adjust
> terrain height.  You don't get the nice flat surfaces, of course, but
> at least you can avoid having a visible join where the heights differ.
>
> One problem I have that's somewhat related is in the textures on
> boundaries.  If a region has different terrain texture heights in,
> say, the west and the east, then the border where the east side meets
> the next-door region seems to inherit some of the texture
> characteristics of the west.
>
> To give a concrete example, one of our regions is grass down to a low
> level on the east and a higher level on the west (both north and south
> quadrants adjusted for each side) where the region meets the ocean.
> This gives us pure grass inland, but sand where the "beach" is.
> However, along the eastern border, a land border with the next-door
> region, there's a roughly 1m-wide strip of pure sand, which looks very
> ugly.  We've not been able to get rid of that strip, and don't
> particularly want to build on it.
>
> Anyone any ideas on this one?

Re: Region edge terraforming problem

Robert Klein
Terrain-tools are cool and seem to work just fine. When creating your regions it helps if you plan the edge heights to match while generating them if you are using terrain generator software. Thanks mic!

-Robert

cmickeyb wrote

--mic

Re: Region edge terraforming problem

Mic Bowman
planning obviously helps!

i've also used osTerrainSetHeight to explicitly set terrain heights at
region boundaries to match. It still has problems making region
boundaries look good by itself, but you can explicitly set the terrain
height for the area around the region boundaries and then use the
terrain tools to finish the job. one word about osTerrainSetHeight is
that it changes the terrain, but the viewer doesn't get an update with
the new terrain. the solution to that problem is to just hit a small
space with a weak "smooth".

--mic

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Terrain-tools are cool and seem to work just fine. When creating your regions
> it helps if you plan the edge heights to match while generating them if you
> are using terrain generator software. Thanks mic!
>
> -Robert
>

> cmickeyb wrote:
>>
>> FYI... There is a pretty useful region module for smoothing terrain
>> across region boundaries at
>> http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/terraintools/ I've used
>> these a few times & they seem to work very well.
>>
>> --mic

Re: Region edge terraforming problem

Michael Huntington
Thanks, I finally had the chance to download terraintools and it solved my problems.