Region question

Jor3l Boa
Hello there, I'm testing .7-post-fixes and noticed that the region at some point wont let you delete prims, view it contents or save (script / notecard), have anyone experienced something like this?. The only way to get the region back is a server restart, (is not client side, tried log in/off but is the same).

I'm running Ubuntu with mono 2.4.2, os as grid

Thanks,
Jorel

Re: Region question

Jason Shipley
Hello back.  I have had this same problem (though somewhat rarely) with
various builds of OpenSim from 0.6.8 on.  My personal opinion, through
some experimentation, is that the database is either falling out of sync
with OS or it becomes overloaded and simply stalls or the SQL socket goes
deaf...  in any case, iy usually happens after some extended heave prim
operations (i.e. mass deleting, shift-copying large groupings or even
manipulating prims in linksets).  On a few occasions, letting the server
sit idle for 10-20 mins did the trick, but more times than not I've had to
restart OS like you mentioned.

I don't know what your hardware specs are, but I can attest to the fact
that the problem (for me) occurred mostly on my single processor Pentium
box and almost never on my Dual Core laptop which was obviously taking
full advantage of asynchronous packet handling and whatnot.  I hope any of
this info was helpful in some small way.

Jason

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:34:23 -0500, Jor3l Boa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there, I'm testing .7-post-fixes and noticed that the region at
> some
> point wont let you delete prims, view it contents or save (script /
> notecard), have anyone experienced something like this?. The only way to
> get
> the region back is a server restart, (is not client side, tried log
> in/off
> but is the same).
>
> I'm running Ubuntu with mono 2.4.2, os as grid
>
> Thanks,
> Jorel

Re: Region question

Jor3l Boa
Hi Jason,

In my case it occurs when I copy prims and create / edit scripts (guess is a heavy load for db). Is hard to make a repro but will try to get one and see if they can fix it. The problem is there is not an error, also, when I shutdown the region server, it stops working at some point when it tries to store the region (maybe the DB module is totally broken/off).

My pc is a quadcore running a single processor for each VM (robust and region). Will assing 2 cores for region server and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply,
Jorel

2010/7/3 Jason Shipley <[hidden email]>
Hello back.  I have had this same problem (though somewhat rarely) with various builds of OpenSim from 0.6.8 on.  My personal opinion, through some experimentation, is that the database is either falling out of sync with OS or it becomes overloaded and simply stalls or the SQL socket goes deaf...  in any case, iy usually happens after some extended heave prim operations (i.e. mass deleting, shift-copying large groupings or even manipulating prims in linksets).  On a few occasions, letting the server sit idle for 10-20 mins did the trick, but more times than not I've had to restart OS like you mentioned.

I don't know what your hardware specs are, but I can attest to the fact that the problem (for me) occurred mostly on my single processor Pentium box and almost never on my Dual Core laptop which was obviously taking full advantage of asynchronous packet handling and whatnot.  I hope any of this info was helpful in some small way.

Jason

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:34:23 -0500, Jor3l Boa <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello there, I'm testing .7-post-fixes and noticed that the region at some
point wont let you delete prims, view it contents or save (script /
notecard), have anyone experienced something like this?. The only way to get
the region back is a server restart, (is not client side, tried log in/off
but is the same).

I'm running Ubuntu with mono 2.4.2, os as grid

Thanks,
Jorel

Re: Region question

>From: Jor3l Boa <[hidden email]>
>Hello there, I'm testing .7-post-fixes and noticed that the region at some
>point wont let you delete prims, view it contents or save (script /
>notecard), have anyone experienced something like this?.

There was an issue in 0.7 RC1 that deleting objects failed, at the
point where the system was trying to put them in the user's inventory
trash folder failed. This was fixed by 0.7 RC2. In fact at the fix to SVN 13152

http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=commit&p=opensim&h=d06b977ed1a0472fbf15da0d4d7ae68b40936fb8

Happy July 4th to our US colleagues.  Best wishes, and thanks for all
the effort on 0.7 folks.

Re: Region question

Jor3l Boa
Hi Ai, as said, I'm running post-fixes (I suposse is RC2) and this happens when I remove something (maybe is not fixed yet), will try RC2 binary anyway and report.

Note: Some times I'm not able to create more objects when this happen, some times I can, but none of them will show its inventory (even If I create new object with new scripts or drop items into it). Now I have 2 cores set to opensim region.