Replace chat with irq

Olli Aro
Administrator
Hi all,

I am trying to replace the standard chat feature with irq server. While I managed to connect my opensim to irq server no problems, it seems like the standard chat server is working as well.

How do I swich off the standard chat module and only allow messages via irq? I have tried to set the chat enabled to false and all distances to zero, but it just keeps working:(

Anybody have any ideas? I am using opensim 0.6.6.

Regards

Olli

Re: Replace chat with irq

justincc
Olli Aro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to replace the standard chat feature with irq server. While I managed to connect my opensim to irq server no problems, it seems like the standard chat server is working as well.
>
> How do I swich off the standard chat module and only allow messages via irq? I have tried to set the chat enabled to false and all distances to zero, but it just keeps working:(

I would say the failure of the chat module to stop when it's not enabled is a
bug that should be fixed :).  It might not be too hard, maybe just a matter of
stopping it registering to certain events (guessing though).

One workaround might be to simply delete the chat module (haven't tried this).

> Anybody have any ideas? I am using opensim 0.6.6.
>
> Regards
>
> Olli

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Replace chat with irq

Olli Aro
Administrator
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the response.

Yes it looks like it is a bug in version 0.6.6. I will check Mantis and
report if not already there.

The customer needs this is still running version 0.6.5. Disabling chat seems
to work fine in this version, however if you disable the chat the IRC will
get disabled as well. So, there is currently no option to route all chat
traffic via IRC instead of using the build in chat :(

I think we should have a configuration option that allows us to have either
IRC or inbuild chat.

Regards,

Olli

Re: Replace chat with irq

Dr Scofield

Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Yes it looks like it is a bug in version 0.6.6. I will check Mantis and
> report if not already there.
>
> The customer needs this is still running version 0.6.5. Disabling chat seems
> to work fine in this version, however if you disable the chat the IRC will
> get disabled as well. So, there is currently no option to route all chat
> traffic via IRC instead of using the build in chat :(
>
> I think we should have a configuration option that allows us to have either
> IRC or inbuild chat.

i'd object to the "either" :-)

        cheers,
        DrS

> Regards,
>
> Olli

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: Replace chat with irq

Olli Aro
Administrator
Any reasons why? Isn't it good to have more flexible configuration?

Just some background to this. I want to redirect the chat via IRC server,
because I want to filter it for profanity.

Regards,

Olli

Re: Replace chat with irq

Dr Scofield

Olli Aro wrote:
> Any reasons why? Isn't it good to have more flexible configuration?

sure. but "either" implies exclusive OR.

> Just some background to this. I want to redirect the chat via IRC server,
> because I want to filter it for profanity.
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Aah, ok I see. That was just an example for the case I need this time about,
but obviously the configuration should be flexible enough to accommodate all
the cases :)

If I patch this, any pointers to where about in source code I can do this?

Regards,

Olli

Re: Replace chat with irq

justincc
Olli Aro wrote:
> Aah, ok I see. That was just an example for the case I need this time about,
> but obviously the configuration should be flexible enough to accommodate all
> the cases :)
>
> If I patch this, any pointers to where about in source code I can do this?

In principle, you probably want to look at what's happening in the Initialise()
methods of the modules in question, where they pluck out configuration information.

> Regards,
>
> Olli

Justin Clark-Casey