Running Multiple Sessions of Opensim

TaraDesoto
Hello

Could someone please give me information on running multiple sessions of  Opensim.32bitlaunch.exe .   All the information I have been able to find on this is very dated and doesnt seem to work for "current"  opensim releases .   We are running in standalone mode .68 stable release for simplicities sake .  We are doing regional scalability tests on our servers so we need to start running multiple sessions of the regional server in order to complete our tests .   If there is something else we need to do in order to find out how many regions we can service with our  system , please let me know .

If this information has been covered on another thread I apologise but any information we were able to find after searching for a few hours was dated .

Thanks and

Best wishes to you

Tara Lynn Desoto

Re: Running Multiple Sessions of Opensim

Master_Mirage
TaraDesoto wrote
[...]

Well sounds like your to a point with opensimulator that you may be better off going to grid mode rather than getting into trying to make standalone work like that (that is the point of gridmode vrs SA.) It can be done that way but its gets complicated and theres alot of 'depends on' this and that to do it.
Without knowing more about what you have, its hard to know what way to nudge you.
Grid mode isant as hard as it might sound really and far more flexable in the long term.
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Running Multiple Sessions of Opensim

Master_Mirage
To expand on that, basicly what has to happen it each instance need to have its own set of free ports.
so if your ruuning them on the same box you will have to make the next above the ones allready used.
For instance: A region thats using port 9000 cannot share it with another also using the same one so the next would have tobe 9001 and so on. Same would be true for all of the port numbers in your ini's too.
If thay are sep. like that then you can launch each and not collide with the other one.
SA uses sqllite but is better to switch to mysql so it can be shared between them.
Im not shure what you have allready read but alot of it hasent changed all that mutch.

What rock has here: http://chapter-and-metaverse2.blogspot.com/2008/11/running-two-instances-of-opensim-on.html  is still correct.

There other options sutch as a dist called serverless grid as well as deva's dist. can also be used.
HG can complicate matters a bit more but also can work fine.

It really is a matter of what way or expectations you have as to what you want or need really.

Remember also you can run more than one region on the same instance, your not just stuck with just one region and easyer todo.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Running Multiple Sessions of Opensim

Master_Mirage
Master_Mirage wrote
[...]

Sorry i ommited a ref to serverless grids and can be found here:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Serverless_Grids
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com