SQL error or connection string configuration error

SQL error or connection string configuration error

Garrett Lynch
Hi

Restarted my sim this morning and I now have a new error (see below).
ConnectionString isn't defined, config-include (not config_include)
does exist and OpenSim.ini architecture does exist.  Tried restarting
a few times and its the same error each time.

There is mention that I should be using mysql instead here:
http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Opensim-Mono-2-6-Snow-Leopard-td5555426.html

and here:
http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2254

If that's the case how do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Garrett

11:35:39 - [APPLICATION]:
APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs

Exception: System.Exception: There was a SQL error or connection
string configuration error when saving the region settings.  This
could be a bug, it could also happen if ConnectionString is defined in
the [DatabaseService] section of StandaloneCommon.ini in the
config_include folder.  This could also happen if the config_include
folder doesn't exist or if the OpenSim.ini [Architecture] section
isn't set.  If this is your first time running OpenSimulator, please
restart the simulator and bug a developer to fix this! --->
Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException: Abort due to constraint violation
column regionUUID is not unique
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SQLite3.Reset (Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteStatement
stmt) [0x00000]
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SQLite3.Step (Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteStatement
stmt) [0x00000]
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteDataReader.NextResult () [0x00000]
   at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check)
Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteDataReader:NextResult ()
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteDataReader..ctor
(Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave) [0x00000]
   at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check)
Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteDataReader:.ctor
(Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand,System.Data.CommandBehavior)
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior
behavior) [0x00000]
   at Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader
(CommandBehavior behavior) [0x00000]
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.ExecuteReader (CommandBehavior
behavior) [0x00000]
   at
System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader
(CommandBehavior behavior) [0x00000]
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update (System.Data.DataRow[]
dataRows, System.Data.Common.DataTableMapping tableMapping) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Data.SQLite.SQLiteSimulationData.Commit () [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Data.SQLite.SQLiteSimulationData.StoreRegionSettings
(OpenSim.Framework.RegionSettings rs) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Data.SQLite.SQLiteSimulationData.LoadRegionSettings
(UUID regionUUID) [0x00000]
   at
OpenSim.Services.Connectors.SimulationDataService.LoadRegionSettings
(UUID regionUUID) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene..ctor
(OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regInfo,
OpenSim.Framework.AgentCircuitManager authen,
OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.SceneCommunicationService
sceneGridService, ISimulationDataService simDataService,
IEstateDataService estateDataService,
OpenSim.Region.Framework.ModuleLoader moduleLoader, Boolean
dumpAssetsToFile, Boolean physicalPrim, Boolean
SeeIntoRegionFromNeighbor, IConfigSource config, System.String
simulatorVersion) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateScene (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo
regionInfo, ISimulationDataService simDataService, IEstateDataService
estateDataService, OpenSim.Framework.AgentCircuitManager
circuitManager) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.SetupScene (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo
regionInfo, Int32 proxyOffset, IConfigSource configSource,
IClientNetworkServer& clientServer) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo
regionInfo, Boolean portadd_flag, Boolean do_post_init, IScene&
mscene) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo
regionInfo, Boolean portadd_flag, IScene& scene) [0x00000]
   at
OpenSim
.ApplicationPlugins.LoadRegions.LoadRegionsPlugin.PostInitialise ()
[0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific () [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific () [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup () [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000]
InnerException: Mono.Data.Sqlite.SqliteException: Abort due to
[...]

Application is terminating: True

On 16 Mar 2011, at 11:00, [hidden email] wrote:

> I would make sure you can get things working in local standalone
> first - it's a lot simpler.
>
> If you can get that working but continue to have problems getting
> your regions online with osgrid then I would suggest
> trying the osgrid support channels.

Re: SQL error or connection string configuration error

paul emery
Dont know if your problem really requires switching to mySQL since you say the installation had been running but here is info on installing mySQL for opensim.

https://github.com/diva/d2/wiki/MySql

To do it you first need to download and install mySQL after which you use the above instructions which will create a data container called opensim in mySQL
Then before running opensim you change sections in the opensim.ini to tell opensim to use mySQL rather then lite.
Then you do run opensim to do the INITIAL INSTALL which will create tables in the database (which you already set up) and opensim will continue to start up using these new data files.

If you have objects in the lite datafiles i am not sure how you migrate them to the mySQL container.

Re: SQL error or connection string configuration error

Jeff Mao
I've just downloaded opensim 0.7.0.2 and mysql 5.1.56. I've set up mysql, and I can connect to the server, do things to the opensim db that I created, etc. So mysql seems happy. When I try and start up the opensim server, it runs through its set routine including lots of notes about "migrating". In all that output there are a number of places where it complains that tables already exist or that it can't find a table called users (ie opensim.users) doesn't exist. It eventually gets to the prompt about joining an existing estate. When I give the default answer of No it then errors out with lots of stuff about mysql (below).

I can see in mysql that opensim is talking to the server because it has created 25 tables. So it isn't a db connection issue, but clearly there are some assumptions being made in the set up that are not valid...ie there are create table commands being issued when tables already exist, or alterations to tables that don't exist or trying to access data from a table called 'users' that doesn't exist.

I can re-run some of the table creation commands and such by manually dropping tables, then re-running the commands to re-create those tables using the output from the set up process...but in instances where it is seeking data from a table that doesn't exist, I don't know what to do. For example:

23:23:58 - [MIGRATIONS]: Cmd was Table 'opensim.users' doesn't exist in SQL: BEGIN; INSERT INTO auth (UUID, passwordHash, passwordSalt, webLoginKey) SELECT `UUID` AS UUID, `passwordHash` AS passwordHash, `passwordSalt` AS passwordSalt, `webLoginKey` AS webLoginKey FROM users; COMMIT;

Is there a place to simply download the entire database schema needed that I can just load into mysql myself?

I'm running on my MacBook Pro 10.6.6, 3.06ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm just trying to set up a standalone server so I can play around, build things, etc. and also let my kids play around in a "walled garden"

thanks
Jeff

23:24:06 - [APPLICATION]:
APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs

Exception: MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Invalid attempt to access a field before calling Read()
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.GetFieldValue (Int32 index, Boolean checkNull) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.GetValue (Int32 i) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.get_Item (Int32 i) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.get_Item (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Data.MySQL.MySQLEstateStore.DoLoad (MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand cmd, UUID regionID, Boolean create) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Data.MySQL.MySQLEstateStore.LoadEstateSettings (UUID regionID, Boolean create) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene..ctor (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regInfo, OpenSim.Framework.AgentCircuitManager authen, OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.SceneCommunicationService sceneGridService, OpenSim.Region.Framework.StorageManager storeManager, OpenSim.Region.Framework.ModuleLoader moduleLoader, Boolean dumpAssetsToFile, Boolean physicalPrim, Boolean SeeIntoRegionFromNeighbor, IConfigSource config, System.String simulatorVersion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateScene (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regionInfo, OpenSim.Region.Framework.StorageManager storageManager, OpenSim.Framework.AgentCircuitManager circuitManager) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.SetupScene (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regionInfo, Int32 proxyOffset, IConfigSource configSource, IClientNetworkServer& clientServer) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean portadd_flag, Boolean do_post_init, IScene& mscene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.CreateRegion (OpenSim.Framework.RegionInfo regionInfo, Boolean portadd_flag, IScene& scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.LoadRegions.LoadRegionsPlugin.PostInitialise () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.StartupSpecific () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSim.StartupSpecific () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.Servers.BaseOpenSimServer.Startup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

On Mar 18, 2011, at 10:10 PM, paul emery wrote:

> Dont know if your problem really requires switching to mySQL since you say
> the installation had been running but here is info on installing mySQL for
> opensim.
>
> https://github.com/diva/d2/wiki/MySql
>
> To do it you first need to download and install mySQL after which you use
> the above instructions which will create a data container called opensim in
> mySQL
> Then before running opensim you change sections in the opensim.ini to tell
> opensim to use mySQL rather then lite.
> Then you do run opensim to do the INITIAL INSTALL which will create tables
> in the database (which you already set up) and opensim will continue to
> start up using these new data files.
>
> If you have objects in the lite datafiles i am not sure how you migrate them
> to the mySQL container.

Re: SQL error or connection string configurationerror

Pedro Rocha
Well regarding the join estate thing , it is funny but just answer yes and when prompted for estate name reply with a nonsense it wil complain that the state does not exist and will re ask the first question , there you can safelly respond no and it will progress without error (tricky funny) but ye several bugs with mysql on that version , im using 7.0.0.1 to avoid those issues

From: Jeff Mao <[hidden email]>
Sender: [hidden email]
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:48:24
To: <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] SQL error or connection string configuration
        error

> [...]

> Dont know if your problem really requires switching to mySQL since you say
> the installation had been running but here is info on installing mySQL for
> opensim.
>
> https://github.com/diva/d2/wiki/MySql
>
> To do it you first need to download and install mySQL after which you use
> the above instructions which will create a data container called opensim in
> mySQL
> Then before running opensim you change sections in the opensim.ini to tell
> opensim to use mySQL rather then lite.
> Then you do run opensim to do the INITIAL INSTALL which will create tables
> in the database (which you already set up) and opensim will continue to
> start up using these new data files.
>
> If you have objects in the lite datafiles i am not sure how you migrate them
> to the mySQL container.

Re: SQL error or connection string configurationerror

Thanks...one step closer...

I got the server running (had to solve another issue with gdiplus, but figured that one out)...but now I have a new problem. The server is running. I can add accounts from the server prompt. I can see those user accounts reflected in the mysql database side of things...but when I attempt to login, I get a user not found error. I found references on the opensim site about migration issues with the db, and capitalization of tables names...tried the lower_case_sensitive=1 addition to my.cnf and lo and behold, it appeared to work...sometimes...but I'm not certain I was even editing the right copy of my.cnf, but after some start and stops of both servers, I could login.

So I set about to repeat the installation on my kids' computer. I get the same login error, but this time, when I try and apply the lower_case_sensitive=1 option, that errors out and mysqld won't launch. So I dug about more and found the option: lower_case_table_names=1 which claims it will drop case on both creation and lookup of table names. This seems to be true as I restarted the process, all new database, and I end up with all lower case table names. But, still no logins. I altered the setting to lower_case_table_names=2 which says it will leave the case as entered, but make sure to translate to lower case on lookups. This also seems to work in that it creates the database with some tables with caps in the names...ie UserAccounts rather then useraccounts. But I still can't login.

Now it gets even worse...I returned to my computer to see if I had something different on my computer than what I had on the kids' computer...and now my system is in the same state,...mysql is up and running, opensim is up and running, but all login attempts end with a user not found error.

Ideas?

I'm using:
opensim 0.7.0.1
mysql 5.1.56
Mac OS 10.6.6 and Mac OS 10.6.3
mono 2.10.1_3

Thanks
Jeff

On Mar 19, 2011, at 1:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Well regarding the join estate thing , it is funny but just answer yes and when prompted for estate name reply with a nonsense it wil complain that the state does not exist and will re ask the first question , there you can safelly respond no and it will progress without error (tricky funny) but ye several bugs with mysql on that version , im using 7.0.0.1 to avoid those issues

Re: SQL error or connection string configurationerror

Fleep Tuque
Oops message got bounced for being too big, cutting off the tail and trying again..

- Fleep

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having exactly the same problem but with different OS, Opensim, and MySQL versions:

Opensim 0.7.0.2
MySQL 5.1.55
Windows Server 2008

I turned on query logging on MySQL and I see the query coming through even, but ROBUST console still reports user not found.  Worse the problem is intermittent, user1 may be able to log in no problem and 30 seconds later user2 can't log in as it says user not found even though the user exists in the database, MySQL is running, ROBUST and Opensim are running, and I don't see errors on the console or in any of the log files.  It's very frustrating.

Here are the steps I took:

Start up ROBUST.exe
Start up Opensim.exe

12:12:01 - Attempt to login with user Fleep Tuque which already exists in the database. Login successful.

12:15:48 - Attempt to login with a user that does not exist in the database "Ringo Moonstone". Login fails. (Wanted to see what a true failure looked like.)
12:16:16 - Create user "Ringo Moonstone" through the ROBUST console.
12:16:46 - Attempt to login with user Ringo Moonstone. Login successful.
12:17:18 - User Fleep Tuque closes session.  (logout)
12:17:31 - Attempt to login with user Fleep Tuque which already exists. Login failed. ROBUST console reports "user not found".
12:18:07 - User Ringo Moonstone closes session. (logout)
12:18:28 - Attempt to login with user Ring Moonstone which already exists. Login failed. ROBUST console reports "user not found".

ROBUST Console output:

12:17:18 - [PRESENCE SERVICE]: Session a6b52d94-bc46-4b67-9170-b6fae1773530 logo
ut
12:17:18 - [GRID USER SERVICE]: User d2897dae-70e8-4250-bacb-7a81bd07a562 is off
line
12:17:31 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Fleep Tuque from 10.24.146.14 wit
h user agent Imprudence 1.3.0 / Second Life 1.23.5.136262 starting in last
12:17:31 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login failed, reason: user not found
12:18:07 - [PRESENCE SERVICE]: Session 7b141115-1b9e-4b91-afcb-403a043f8bcc logo
ut
12:18:07 - [GRID USER SERVICE]: User 0b89f808-f828-4fba-bfc5-89fed6353a40 is off
line
12:18:28 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Ringo Moonstone from 10.47.2.11 w
ith user agent Imprudence 1.3.0 / Second Life 1.23.5.136262 starting in last

12:18:28 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login failed, reason: user not found

ROBUST Log file output:

2011-03-17 12:17:18,444 DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.PresenceService.PresenceService [PRESENCE SERVICE]: Session a6b52d94-bc46-4b67-9170-b6fae1773530 logout
2011-03-17 12:17:18,459 DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.UserAccountService.GridUserService [GRID USER SERVICE]: User d2897dae-70e8-4250-bacb-7a81bd07a562 is offline
2011-03-17 12:17:31,475 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Fleep Tuque from 10.24.146.14 with user agent Imprudence 1.3.0  / Second Life 1.23.5.136262 starting in last
2011-03-17 12:17:31,491 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login failed, reason: user not found
2011-03-17 12:18:07,866 DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.PresenceService.PresenceService [PRESENCE SERVICE]: Session 7b141115-1b9e-4b91-afcb-403a043f8bcc logout
2011-03-17 12:18:07,866 DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.UserAccountService.GridUserService [GRID USER SERVICE]: User 0b89f808-f828-4fba-bfc5-89fed6353a40 is offline
2011-03-17 12:18:28,616 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Ringo Moonstone from 10.47.2.11 with user agent Imprudence 1.3.0  / Second Life 1.23.5.136262 starting in last
2011-03-17 12:18:28,616 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login failed, reason: user not found
2011-03-17 12:18:37,303 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Ringo Moonstone from 10.47.2.11 with user agent Imprudence 1.3.0  / Second Life 1.23.5.136262 starting in last
2011-03-17 12:18:37,303 INFO  - OpenSim.Services.LLLoginService.LLLoginService [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login failed, reason: user not found
2011-03-17 12:24:46,819 DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.GridService.GridService [GRID SERVICE]: Region 03433f54-9a39-4f6b-a653-0cccc792d7ea deregistered
2011-03-17 12:24:52,819 INFO  - OpenSim.Server.Base.ServicesServerBase [CONSOLE] Quitting

MySQL Query Log output:
110317 12:17:18	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	delete from Presence where `SessionID` = 'a6b52d94-bc46-4b67-9170-b6fae1773530'
		    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from GridUser where `UserID` = 'd2897dae-70e8-4250-bacb-7a81bd07a562'
		    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	replace into GridUser (`UserID`,`Online`,`Logout`,`LastRegionID`,`LastPosition`,`LastLookAt`) values ('d2897dae-70e8-4250-bacb-7a81bd07a562','False','1300378638','03433f54-9a39-4f6b-a653-0cccc792d7ea','<130.7828, 131.314, 25.7627>','<-0.4889376, -0.8723187, 0>')
110317 12:17:31	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from UserAccounts where `FirstName` = 'Fleep' and `LastName` = 'Tuque'
110317 12:18:07	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	delete from Presence where `SessionID` = '7b141115-1b9e-4b91-afcb-403a043f8bcc'
		    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from GridUser where `UserID` = '0b89f808-f828-4fba-bfc5-89fed6353a40'
		    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	replace into GridUser (`UserID`,`Online`,`Logout`,`LastRegionID`,`LastPosition`,`LastLookAt`) values ('0b89f808-f828-4fba-bfc5-89fed6353a40','False','1300378687','03433f54-9a39-4f6b-a653-0cccc792d7ea','<128.0708, 128.1095, 26.00385>','<0.651205, 0.7589018, 0>')
110317 12:18:28	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from UserAccounts where `FirstName` = 'Ringo' and `LastName` = 'Moonstone'
110317 12:18:37	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from UserAccounts where `FirstName` = 'Ringo' and `LastName` = 'Moonstone'
110317 12:24:46	    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	select * from `regions` where uuid = '03433f54-9a39-4f6b-a653-0cccc792d7ea'
		    2 Init DB	opensim
		    2 Query	delete from Presence where `RegionID`='03433f54-9a39-4f6b-a653-0cccc792d7ea'
110317 12:24:47	    4 Quit

I'm totally at a loss at this point..

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
[hidden email]
UC Second Life:   http://homepages.uc.edu/secondlife
OLN Second Life: http://www.oln.org/emerging_technologies/emtech.php

Re: SQL error or connection string configurationerror

Opensimfan
(click on images for full size)

I use 5.1.49 for linux for opensim grid modes (osgrid)

Schermafdruk-Debian-MySQL-Administrator

and 5.5.10 for Windows for Opensim stand-alone modes.

Schermafdruk-Windows-MySQL-Administrator

both "fly like the wind..!!" so it should work on both systems...

Dutch..
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Help with port forwarding for OpenSim

Garrett Lynch
Hi

I've been struggling with getting my sim accessible to the outside
world on OSgrid.  Everything is setup and works but I can't get to my
sim.  I've been told that the issue is with my ports and I've
exhausted help on the OSgrid forum for the moment.

Following this guide:
http://usvemo.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/setting-up-an-opensim-server-to-osgrid-part-1/

I've attempted to configure application sharing on my router (a BT
Home Hub), administration looks like this:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/default.htm

So I've entered 9000 in all fields and chosen Any in both dropdowns.
This sets up both TCP and UDP.  Then I've chosen opensim (the setting
name) and the name of my computer (which is the local ip), this
dynamically updates between the computer reboots so that should be a
good thing right?  Or should I be mapping the setting to the external
ip of my network connection i.e. the router itself?

I've made sure http_listener_port is uncommented in OpenSim.ini and
started up my sim.  Started up Imprudence, can search for and find my
sim but can't get there as teleports time out and entering the sim
tells me its a banned sim.

I've tried this online tool for port checking:
http://www.canyouseeme.org/

and it tells me the port is not open.

Can anyone advise as to what might be going wrong?  Anyone here has
configured a BT Home Hub and succeeded in getting their sim online?

Thanks in advance.
Garrett

Re: Help with port forwarding for OpenSim

Teravus Ovares
I think setting up your network hardware is beyond the of scope for
this list.     On that note, I took a look at the screen shots
presented and I'm not sure how to forward ports statically through
that interface.   It appears to be an application style port
forwarding with a trigger.   Opensimulator doesn't generate any
'triggers', so this may be what you're running into.

To your second question about using the computer name.    It really
depends on the router.   Typically when I use port forwarding, I set
up my computer on a static IP address on the internal network behind
the router and then tell the router to send any traffic on the
appropriate ports to that static IP address that I set up.   A typical
internal IP address may look like,(class C) 192.168.1.5 or
192.168.100.40 or (Class A) 10.1.1.60.

I do see that there's a DMZ option on your device (It's that DMZ link
under the .Application Sharing link on the left navigation bar).   If
you set your OpenSimulator computer as the computer in the DMZ
(DeMilitarized Zone), and make sure that your firewall is 'off', It'll
work, but it will mean that your OpenSimulator computer is essentially
'directly' on the internet which has some considerable security
implications.  (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28computing%29
)

Regards

Teravus

On 22 Mar 2011, at 21:05, Teravus Ovares wrote:

> I think setting up your network hardware is beyond the of scope for
> this list.

Well, if I ask this on a hardware/router forum they will bounce me
back to OpenSim forums and lists and it's too specialised for the BT
forum.

> On that note, I took a look at the screen shots
> presented and I'm not sure how to forward ports statically through
> that interface.   It appears to be an application style port
> forwarding with a trigger.   Opensimulator doesn't generate any
> 'triggers', so this may be what you're running into.

The example used on that page with the screen shots  didn't use the
triggers field so I'm thinking thats not a problem as such.  There are
hundreds of preconfigured settings on the router for all sorts of
applications and while opensim wasn't there (my router is about four
years old) it's hard to believe that it won't work.

> I do see that there's a DMZ option on your device (It's that DMZ link
> under the .Application Sharing link on the left navigation bar).   If
> you set your OpenSimulator computer as the computer in the DMZ
> (DeMilitarized Zone), and make sure that your firewall is 'off', It'll
> work

I have already tried that and it didn't work.  The port checking
website I mentioned still said the port was closed so I'm not
convinced about whether that page works at all.  Is there a way to
check ports via terminal commands and are there any other settings in
the opensim configuration that need to be set to allow the ports to
work?

Thanks in advance
Garrett

Re: Help with port forwarding for OpenSim

Garrett Lynch

On 22 Mar 2011, at 21:05, Teravus Ovares wrote:

> I do see that there's a DMZ option on your device (It's that DMZ link
> under the .Application Sharing link on the left navigation bar).   If
> you set your OpenSimulator computer as the computer in the DMZ
> (DeMilitarized Zone), and make sure that your firewall is 'off', It'll
> work

I stand corrected, this does work, not sure what I did differently the
last time.  Anyway I've gone a step further port forwarding is now
working as my firewall is enabled with the computer selected under DMZ
and I can get to it in OpenSim.  Am I completely off track on this but
this would seem to suggest that the port configuration I set up worked
all along (i didn't change this configuration) but if fact the
ipaddress I was entering to use with it was wrong?

Thanks in advance
Garrett

Re: Help with port forwarding for OpenSim

Teravus Ovares
It's possible.

Regards

Teravus