SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Robert Klein
What are the absolute key advantages or disadvantages to using SQLite vs MySQL for OpenSim?

-Robert

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

justincc
Robert Klein wrote:
> What are the absolute key advantages or disadvantages to using SQLite vs
> MySQL for OpenSim?

afaik, SQLite is generally better for single user low-load applications, while MySQL is better for high load multi-user
ones.

In OpenSim this would translate to SQLite being fine for single user standalones (such as sandboxes), with MySQL being
worth the setup hassle for anything beyond that.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Len W. Brown
From personal experience here, I use MySQL mainly for persistence.  In other words, with SQLite when you shut down the server and start it up again you find such annoyances as your avatar defaults back to the plain jane "Ruth."  With MySQL I had added a custom shape, skin and clothing, hair and eyes and attachments and those remain in effect when the server is shut down and restarted.

There may be other benefits to MySQL but these alone are completely worth it for me.

- Len

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Robert Klein wrote:
> What are the absolute key advantages or disadvantages to using SQLite vs
> MySQL for OpenSim?

afaik, SQLite is generally better for single user low-load applications, while MySQL is better for high load multi-user
ones.

In OpenSim this would translate to SQLite being fine for single user standalones (such as sandboxes), with MySQL being
worth the setup hassle for anything beyond that.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Jonathan Greenlee
All of the aforementioned,
And
MySQL has professional tools available such as TOAD, and PRO level support thru Sun micro.

Sent from my iPhone

From personal experience here, I use MySQL mainly for persistence.  In other words, with SQLite when you shut down the server and start it up again you find such annoyances as your avatar defaults back to the plain jane "Ruth."  With MySQL I had added a custom shape, skin and clothing, hair and eyes and attachments and those remain in effect when the server is shut down and restarted.

Robert Klein wrote:
> What are the absolute key advantages or disadvantages to using SQLite vs
> MySQL for OpenSim?

afaik, SQLite is generally better for single user low-load applications, while MySQL is better for high load multi-user
ones.

In OpenSim this would translate to SQLite being fine for single user standalones (such as sandboxes), with MySQL being
worth the setup hassle for anything beyond that.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Tim Allen-4
It is funny to see MySQL being described as the more robust solution,
when some (very uninformed) people still call it a 'toy database' -
which was sort of true in 1999, but not 2009. In 2009, MySQL is an
extremely robust, high-performance, high-reliability database that
scales quite nicely. I'd highly recommend it over SQLite for any kind
of reliability, but as mentioned before, for single-user sandboxes,
SQLite may be easier out of the box.

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Chris Hart
MSSQL works very well too (and Express edition is free for databases up
to 4Gb). While it's not officially supported by core devs to the same
extent as MySQL, those of us who use it are avid patchers and keep the
MSSQL side up-to-date. As far as OpenSim is concerned, you can use it
for standalone, but SQLite is extremely simple out of the box for a
basic standalone. It's a solid alternative to MySQL.

Chris

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

i also see faster startup times on my standalones. And also visible faster
rezzing of prims inworld ..

and here is a test with one of my sims .. bit done by the "landlord" ...
http://www.maxping.org/resources/how-to/maintain-regions/moving-a-sim-from-s
qlite-to-mysql.aspx

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

and .. but on the advantage side of sqllite i have to admit it is easier to
switch
hardware by just having the  opensim.db  on a memory stick ... much better
than having
the sql dump and to install mysql and setting it up. For beginners sqllite
is much
more comfortable .. (or you use the  No-install version 4 of mysql )

also if you 'keep' several version of your sims in different build stages,
and therefore
in different folders on your harddisk it is more flexible .. (depending on
your database
experience level)

i can also recommend a firefox extension called sqlite-manager  where you
can have a look
into the .db file or mayby change all your landradio streams to the same
station by pasting the
Stream Url to the .db fields .. or you can remove the  " your parcel " info
on all sims without
visiting them after mayby a load oar  :-)

regards

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

jeff1564
I think is not that hard to change to mysql even for beginners. There are good tools that you can use for that like easyphp (not for produce envirorments) but its a really easy tool to setup a mysql database.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgNkg5DtT4g

Re: SQLite vs MySQL - any big difference?

Dr Scofield

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Robert Klein wrote:
>> What are the absolute key advantages or disadvantages to using SQLite vs
>> MySQL for OpenSim?
>
> afaik, SQLite is generally better for single user low-load applications, while MySQL is better for high load multi-user
> ones.
>
> In OpenSim this would translate to SQLite being fine for single user standalones (such as sandboxes), with MySQL being
> worth the setup hassle for anything beyond that.

+100 on that.

private sandbox (development, proof-of-concept stuff): sqlite is fine
anything else: mysql (or the other DBs, though i've got no experience with those)

        cheers,
        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab