SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

FoTo50
Can somebody tell me where I can find a possibility to set the SYSTEMIP?

I use Linux with several IP's and dont want to use the default IP for opensim but an additional one. Even setting the subdomain to the 2nd IP and setting all values in the ini files to there, after startup I find the following line in the opensim.log:

INFO  - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP

...but that's my default IP address.

This caused for me big problems at login after a fresh install of 0.6.9: the login got stuck at the region handshake. In the log file I could find always 3times the following line:

WARN  - OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]: Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from 723e059f-36be-45fb-8bc9-999efe5de9d5 at xx.xx.xx.xx:56000 for circuit 340530339

and then the client (tried with Hippo and Imprudence) stopped.

After setting the subdomain to the default IP, everything worked fine. I looked quite a lot, but could not find, where I can set this value to my desired IP address.

Best regards
Georg

Re: SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

Justin Clark-Casey
On 22/06/10 18:52, FoTo50 wrote:

> Can somebody tell me where I can find a possibility to set the SYSTEMIP?
>
> I use Linux with several IP's and dont want to use the default IP for
> opensim but an additional one. Even setting the subdomain to the 2nd IP
> and setting all values in the ini files to there, after startup I find
> the following line in the opensim.log:
>
> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>
> ...but that's my default IP address.
>
> This caused for me big problems at login after a fresh install of 0.6.9:
> the login got stuck at the region handshake. In the log file I could
> find always 3times the following line:
>
> WARN - OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]:
> Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from
> 723e059f-36be-45fb-8bc9-999efe5de9d5 at xx.xx.xx.xx:56000 for circuit
> 340530339
>
> and then the client (tried with Hippo and Imprudence) stopped.
>
> After setting the subdomain to the default IP, everything worked fine. I
> looked quite a lot, but could not find, where I can set this value to my
> desired IP address.

This setting is in the bin/Regions/Regions.ini file.  You can set it directly to an IP address.

On 23/06/2010 02:54, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 22/06/10 18:52, FoTo50 wrote:
>> Can somebody tell me where I can find a possibility to set the SYSTEMIP?
>>
>> I use Linux with several IP's and dont want to use the default IP for
>> opensim but an additional one. Even setting the subdomain to the 2nd IP
>> and setting all values in the ini files to there, after startup I find
>> the following line in the opensim.log:
>>
>> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>>
>> ...but that's my default IP address.
>>
>> This caused for me big problems at login after a fresh install of 0.6.9:
>> the login got stuck at the region handshake. In the log file I could
>> find always 3times the following line:
>>
>> WARN - OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]:
>> Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from
>> 723e059f-36be-45fb-8bc9-999efe5de9d5 at xx.xx.xx.xx:56000 for circuit
>> 340530339
>>
>> and then the client (tried with Hippo and Imprudence) stopped.
>>
>> After setting the subdomain to the default IP, everything worked fine. I
>> looked quite a lot, but could not find, where I can set this value to my
>> desired IP address.
>
> This setting is in the bin/Regions/Regions.ini file.  You can set it
> directly to an IP address.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Hi Justin

I tried that already, but this does not change the message (and setting):

INFO  - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP

But it should be xx.xx.xx.236 which is the first additional IP address
at eth0 (btw. the OS is openSuSE 11.2 with Mono 2.4.2.3). It looks like
somehow it just takes the basic IP from eth0 and this obviously causes a
lack of comunication during the region handshake that results in a login
failure.

Greetings
Georg

Re: SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

Marck-2

FoTo50 wrote:

> On 23/06/2010 02:54, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>> On 22/06/10 18:52, FoTo50 wrote:
>>> Can somebody tell me where I can find a possibility to set the SYSTEMIP?
>>>
>>> I use Linux with several IP's and dont want to use the default IP for
>>> opensim but an additional one. Even setting the subdomain to the 2nd IP
>>> and setting all values in the ini files to there, after startup I find
>>> the following line in the opensim.log:
>>>
>>> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>>>
>>> ...but that's my default IP address.
>>>
>>> This caused for me big problems at login after a fresh install of 0.6.9:
>>> the login got stuck at the region handshake. In the log file I could
>>> find always 3times the following line:
>>>
>>> WARN - OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]:
>>> Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from
>>> 723e059f-36be-45fb-8bc9-999efe5de9d5 at xx.xx.xx.xx:56000 for circuit
>>> 340530339
>>>
>>> and then the client (tried with Hippo and Imprudence) stopped.
>>>
>>> After setting the subdomain to the default IP, everything worked fine. I
>>> looked quite a lot, but could not find, where I can set this value to my
>>> desired IP address.
>>
>> This setting is in the bin/Regions/Regions.ini file. You can set it
>> directly to an IP address.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>> http://justincc.org
>> http://twitter.com/justincc
>
> Hi Justin
>
> I tried that already, but this does not change the message (and setting):
>
> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>
> But it should be xx.xx.xx.236 which is the first additional IP address
> at eth0 (btw. the OS is openSuSE 11.2 with Mono 2.4.2.3). It looks like
> somehow it just takes the basic IP from eth0 and this obviously causes a
> lack of comunication during the region handshake that results in a login
> failure.
>
> Greetings
> Georg

Hi George,

Did you actually do the following steps and still get the "Using xx.xx.xx.228" message?

1) In RegionConfig.ini (or Regions.ini if OpenSim automatically created the file), change the setting
     ExternalHostName = SYSTEMIP
     ExternalHostName = "xx.xx.xx.236"

2) Restart the region.

On 22/06/10 18:52, FoTo50 wrote:
[...]

Hi Marck

I tried it with and without "...", restarted the region(s) only or all 4 services (currently grid mode, but also happened when testing standalone) - it doesnt make any change.

But I'm also not sure if the error is to be located in the regions.ini. I currently load 17 regions, so the SYSTEMIP message should also turn up 17 times during startup, but it only shows once after all regions are loaded at the end of the startup process right after "INFO  - OpenSim.OpenSim [!]STARTUP COMPLETE", so it should be some server wide setting somewhere ... or do I see that wrong?

FoTo50 wrote:

>   Am 23.06.2010 11:36, schrieb Marck:
>>
>> FoTo50 wrote:

>>> Hi Justin
>>>
>>> I tried that already, but this does not change the message (and
>>> setting):
>>>
>>> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>>>
>>> But it should be xx.xx.xx.236 which is the first additional IP address
>>> at eth0 (btw. the OS is openSuSE 11.2 with Mono 2.4.2.3). It looks like
>>> somehow it just takes the basic IP from eth0 and this obviously causes a
>>> lack of comunication during the region handshake that results in a login
>>> failure.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>> Georg
>>
>> Hi George,
>>
>> Did you actually do the following steps and still get the "Using
>> xx.xx.xx.228" message?
>>
>> 1) In RegionConfig.ini (or Regions.ini if OpenSim automatically
>> created the file), change the setting
>> ExternalHostName = SYSTEMIP
>> ExternalHostName = "xx.xx.xx.236"
>>
>> 2) Restart the region.
>>

> Hi Marck
>
> I tried it with and without "...", restarted the region(s) only or all 4
> services (currently grid mode, but also happened when testing
> standalone) - it doesnt make any change.
>
> But I'm also not sure if the error is to be located in the regions.ini.
> I currently load 17 regions, so the SYSTEMIP message should also turn up
> 17 times during startup, but it only shows once after all regions are
> loaded at the end of the startup process right after "INFO -
> OpenSim.OpenSim [!]STARTUP COMPLETE", so it should be some server wide
> setting somewhere ... or do I see that wrong?

Then I suspect that the settings in your RegionsConfig.ini are not the culprit. I also do not use "SYSTEMIP" in any of my region settings and still get that log message. I guess OpenSim is just telling you what address it *would* use, if you specified SYSTEMIP somewhere in your configuration.

Have you double-checked that all IP addresses in your other configuration files use the correct  address (e.g. in the [Network] section of OpenSim.ini)?

On 22/06/10 18:52, FoTo50 wrote:
[...]

Not just double-checked .... I already fell it like hundrets times ;)

With grep I found 3 more settings in 2 xml files (UserServer_Config.xml and MessagingServer_Config.xml) that are probably written during the initial setup process - I did never touch them before. But even changing those values did not change anything.

I actually prefer rather to enter subdomains than fixed IP adresses since changing those is easier than searching throug all the ini and xml files.

Re: SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

Bulli
and setting all values in the ini files to there, after startup I find
the following line in the opensim.log:

INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP

...but that's my default IP address.

Please be aware that this message is completely valid, and only informing you of the fact that the variable SYSTEMIP has been filled with the value xx.xx.xx.228

Quick look in the code:

m_log.InfoFormat("[NETWORK]: Using {0} as SYSTEMIP", Util.GetLocalHost().ToString());

So the value of SYSTEMIP is based on the local host definition.

This does NOT mean that the value SYSTEMIP would actually be used in any other place.

What did you grep for? SYSTEMIP, the hostname or the actual IP-address? Remember that an IP-address of 0.0.0.0 will also map to the default.

Any chance you have (old) XML region files lying around with the default IP-address?

Regards,

Bulli Schumann

Re: SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

Darren Williams-2

I had a similar problem once where I was using a VPS that had a primary IP other than the one I needed to use.

To resolve this, I had to add the IP I wanted to use as the INTERNAL IP where you would normally see the 0.0.0.0 in a lot of configurations

Regards

Daz

Re: SYSTEMIP and a repeated UseCircuitCode

Damon Hindermann
What I have found to be the problem in this, if I understand the situation properly, is when the server and client are on the same LAN.  To this day I have not yet solved the issue.  I use pfSense router/firewall software as my router.  Even though I am using the right setup in regions.ini and I supposedly have loopback enabled on the router, I get this error as long as my client is on the same side of the router.  I have created a separate LAN with it's own interface card and it still doesn't work.

I use DynDNS for my WAN and I use that name as SYSTEMIP (myname.homedns.org) and I have the other address as 0.0.0.0.  Somehow when my client requests something of the server, my router is doing something wrong.  The server is seeing the request and replying, but the reply does not get back to the client, so the client tries again.  This is why the server says that it's ignoring repeated requests.  Ultimately the client gives up and you can see the cleanup on the server.

I'm having a network pro that knows pfSense in and out come to my home and see what he can do.  I'm hoping we get it working and I can let people know what's going on.

-Damon

On 23/06/10 11:21, FoTo50 wrote:

> Am 23.06.2010 11:36, schrieb Marck:
>>

>> FoTo50 wrote:

>>> Hi Justin
>>>
>>> I tried that already, but this does not change the message (and
>>> setting):
>>>
>>> INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim [NETWORK]: Using xx.xx.xx.228 as SYSTEMIP
>>>
>>> But it should be xx.xx.xx.236 which is the first additional IP address
>>> at eth0 (btw. the OS is openSuSE 11.2 with Mono 2.4.2.3). It looks like
>>> somehow it just takes the basic IP from eth0 and this obviously causes a
>>> lack of comunication during the region handshake that results in a login
>>> failure.
>>>
>>> Greetings
>>> Georg
>>
>> Hi George,
>>
>> Did you actually do the following steps and still get the "Using
>> xx.xx.xx.228" message?
>>
>> 1) In RegionConfig.ini (or Regions.ini if OpenSim automatically
>> created the file), change the setting
>> ExternalHostName = SYSTEMIP
>> ExternalHostName = "xx.xx.xx.236"
>>
>> 2) Restart the region.
>>

> Hi Marck
>
> I tried it with and without "...", restarted the region(s) only or all 4
> services (currently grid mode, but also happened when testing
> standalone) - it doesnt make any change.
>
> But I'm also not sure if the error is to be located in the regions.ini.
> I currently load 17 regions, so the SYSTEMIP message should also turn up
> 17 times during startup, but it only shows once after all regions are
> loaded at the end of the startup process right after "INFO -
> OpenSim.OpenSim [!]STARTUP COMPLETE", so it should be some server wide
> setting somewhere ... or do I see that wrong?

Hi Marck.  As someone else pointed out, the SYSTEMIP message was printed out regardless of whether it was actually used
or not.  In the latest OpenSim master (commit 2c4df19805f9) I've changed this so that it's only printed out when it's
used for a region's external host name.  Therefore, if you're running this code and you don't have a SYSTEMIP in your
region files then you should no longer see this message.

I suspect this is a red herring anyway and you're true problem is something else (as other posters have suggested).