Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

TasPerth
I recently got a super deal on a virtual private server, so I decided
to do an upgrade of my standalone sandbox while moving it to the new
vps. I installed 0.6.3.8800 on the new vps, moved the MySQL database
over, inventory seems to have come nicely, and logged into the sim..
Terrain looked fine, but none of my builds were there... grrrr.. by
this time I realized I needed to save an oar file from the old sim.. I
logged in over there, and tried to do a "save oar" but nothing
happens..  I do not see any indication of an oar save in "help" over
there.. I'm pretty sure it once worked, because there was an oar I
created back in Jan on the system..  The old sim is 0.6.0.7629.. What
gives??

BTW: if anybody's interested, you can get a 512MB-burstable to 1GB
Linux vps for $10/mo at
www.fsckvps.com. I had been using one of the $15/mo Tektonic.com vps
but it was only 290MB of ram, not burstable..

Help!

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

justincc
Tasman Perth wrote:

> I recently got a super deal on a virtual private server, so I decided
> to do an upgrade of my standalone sandbox while moving it to the new
> vps. I installed 0.6.3.8800 on the new vps, moved the MySQL database
> over, inventory seems to have come nicely, and logged into the sim..
> Terrain looked fine, but none of my builds were there... grrrr.. by
> this time I realized I needed to save an oar file from the old sim.. I
> logged in over there, and tried to do a "save oar" but nothing
> happens..  I do not see any indication of an oar save in "help" over
> there.. I'm pretty sure it once worked, because there was an oar I
> created back in Jan on the system..  The old sim is 0.6.0.7629.. What
> gives??

Hi Tasman.  Back in r7629 the command was "save-oar" rather than "save oar".  I'm fairly sure this did appear in the
help - you may want to take another look.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

TasPerth
Thanks Justin!!
When I do a 'help' on the running 7629 server, I dont see any listing of "save-oar", but none the less, it worked, created a "scene_oar.tar.gz"
which I moved over to the new sim, and did a "load oar scene_oar.tar.gz", and immediately got exceptions as follows:

Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from scene_oar.tar.gz
12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was: System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 bytes) [0x00000]
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.FileLoaders.RAW32.LoadStream (System.IO.Stream s) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.TerrainModule.LoadFromStream (System.String filename, System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.LoadTerrain (System.String terrainPath, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar () [0x00000]

I tried recreating the oar on the old sim again, and retried, same errors... Help!!

Thanks
Tas

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

justincc
Tasman Perth wrote:
> Thanks Justin!!
> When I do a 'help' on the running 7629 server, I dont see any listing of
> "save-oar", but none the less, it worked, created a "scene_oar.tar.gz"
> which I moved over to the new sim, and did a "load oar
> scene_oar.tar.gz", and immediately got exceptions as follows:

That is an unexpected error.  If the archive doesn't contain anything commercially sensitive or confidential, then the
easiest thing would be if you could make it available to me somehow (e.g. by e-mail if it's small enough).  Then I can
take a look directly.

If that's not possible then we can work out some other way to proceed (possibly moving this discussion to a Mantis).  On
the surface, it looks like somehow the terrain data wasn't saved out properly.

> Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from
> scene_oar.tar.gz
> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 bytes) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.FileLoaders.RAW32.LoadStream
> (System.IO.Stream s) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.TerrainModule.LoadFromStream
> (System.String filename, System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.LoadTerrain
> (System.String terrainPath, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
> () [0x00000]
>
> I tried recreating the oar on the old sim again, and retried, same
> errors... Help!!
>
> Thanks
> Tas

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

TasPerth
>That is an unexpected error.  If the archive doesn't contain anything commercially
> sensitive or confidential, then the easiest thing would be if you could make it available to
> me somehow (e.g. by e-mail if it's small enough).  Then I can
> take a look directly.

> If that's not possible then we can work out some other way to proceed (possibly moving  >  this discussion to a Mantis).  On
> the surface, it looks like somehow the terrain data wasn't saved out properly.

Thanks for the reply!!
Armed with that little tidbit of info, I opened the gzip package with
7zip, and sure enough
the terrain r32 file (which was not even the right one in use on my
current sandbox config) was a zero byte file. Just for fun, I pulled a
copy of the correct r32 file, and placed it in the terrains folder and
removed the zero byte one, and re-gzipped the tar and tried loading it
again.. This time I get the following:

00:37:58 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: count is less than 0
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadBytes (Int32 count) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadEntry
(System.String& filePath,
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarEntryType& entryType)
[0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
() [0x00000]
Region (OpenSim Test) #

The scene_oar.tar.gz in question is only a bit over 5mb and has nada
commercial stuff
in it, just some of my sandbox dabbling... I can email it to you, if
you'd like...

Tas

On 3/18/09, Tasman Perth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Justin!!
> When I do a 'help' on the running 7629 server, I dont see any listing of
> "save-oar", but none the less, it worked, created a "scene_oar.tar.gz"
> which I moved over to the new sim, and did a "load oar scene_oar.tar.gz",
> and immediately got exceptions as follows:
>
> Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from
> scene_oar.tar.gz
> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 bytes) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000]
>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.FileLoaders.RAW32.LoadStream
> (System.IO.Stream s) [0x00000]
>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.TerrainModule.LoadFromStream
> (System.String filename, System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.LoadTerrain
> (System.String terrainPath, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
> () [0x00000]
>
> I tried recreating the oar on the old sim again, and retried, same
> errors...
> Help!!
>
> Thanks
> Tas

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

justincc
Tasman Perth wrote:

>> That is an unexpected error.  If the archive doesn't contain anything commercially
>> sensitive or confidential, then the easiest thing would be if you could make it available to
>> me somehow (e.g. by e-mail if it's small enough).  Then I can
>> take a look directly.
>
>> If that's not possible then we can work out some other way to proceed (possibly moving  >  this discussion to a Mantis).  On
>> the surface, it looks like somehow the terrain data wasn't saved out properly.
>
> Thanks for the reply!!
> Armed with that little tidbit of info, I opened the gzip package with
> 7zip, and sure enough
> the terrain r32 file (which was not even the right one in use on my
> current sandbox config) was a zero byte file.

That's rather odd - haven't come across that bug before.

> Just for fun, I pulled a
> copy of the correct r32 file, and placed it in the terrains folder and
> removed the zero byte one, and re-gzipped the tar and tried loading it
> again.. This time I get the following:

For historical reasons, the tar file format loaded is the old V7 Unix format, rather than the GNU or POSIX/USTAR
formats.  I'm guessing that 7zip may be retarring things in one of those other two formats and the reload doesn't like that.

It's possible to produce tars in the old V7 format by using the --format=v7 switch in gtar.  I'm not sure if 7zip has
such an option.

> 00:37:58 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
> Parameter name: count is less than 0
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadBytes (Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadEntry
> (System.String& filePath,
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarEntryType& entryType)
> [0x00000]
>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
> () [0x00000]
> Region (OpenSim Test) #
>
> The scene_oar.tar.gz in question is only a bit over 5mb and has nada
> commercial stuff
> in it, just some of my sandbox dabbling... I can email it to you, if
> you'd like...

If the above doesn't work or isn't possible for you, please feel free to just e-mail it to me.  If it is a format
problem then it's actually probably not that difficult to accomodate the other formats in the reload code (since I think
they're meant to be pretty compatible anyway) but I couldn't guarantee when I'd get around to this.  Alternatively, you
could open a mantis for this and it's possible that someone else may address the issue.

> Tas
>

> On 3/18/09, Tasman Perth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Justin!!
>> When I do a 'help' on the running 7629 server, I dont see any listing of
>> "save-oar", but none the less, it worked, created a "scene_oar.tar.gz"
>> which I moved over to the new sim, and did a "load oar scene_oar.tar.gz",
>> and immediately got exceptions as follows:
>>
>> Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
>> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from
>> scene_oar.tar.gz
>> 12:39:10 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
>> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
>>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer (Int32 bytes) [0x00000]
>>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadSingle () [0x00000]
>>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.FileLoaders.RAW32.LoadStream
>> (System.IO.Stream s) [0x00000]
>>   at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Terrain.TerrainModule.LoadFromStream
>> (System.String filename, System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00000]
>>   at
>> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.LoadTerrain
>> (System.String terrainPath, System.Byte[] data) [0x00000]
>>   at
>> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
>> () [0x00000]
>>
>> I tried recreating the oar on the old sim again, and retried, same
>> errors...
>> Help!!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tas

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Save oar on 0.6.0.7629??

TasPerth
Thanks Justin!!

I tried opening the scene_oar.tar.gz on the Linux machine using the real tar and gzip, and placed a copy of the correct r32 terrain file, and then
retarred/gzipped it, increasing the size of the oar by double.. Alas it still blew up with a slightly different error:

Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
01:01:46 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from scene_oar.tar.gz
01:01:46 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was: System.IO.InvalidDataException: Invalid ZLib data.
  at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.ReadInternal (System.Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
  at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Read (System.Byte[] dest, Int32 dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
  at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Read (System.Byte[] dest, Int32 dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
  at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadBytes (Int32 count) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadHeader () [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadEntry (System.String& filePath, OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarEntryType& entryType) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar () [0x00000]
Region (OpenSim Test) #

How do I put a Mantis in on this??

Tas

Security Question

Skidz Tweak

Hi all,

Just getting into opensim myself, and really do enjoy it so far.

My questions today are related to security. Like any type of application that you expose to the web there is some security risk. Is there any tips of tricks that any of you can recommend to ensure better security for an entire grid, besides the obvious like use a firewall and such.

I use Sandboxie a lot, and was considering trying to run a full grid, sandboxed, but not sure if it will work yet. Sandboxie creates a virtual enviroment for the application to run, restricting its access to key areas of a OS. Has anyone else tried this?

Re: Security Question

Diva Canto
Right now, the only way you can get a certain amount of security is running a closed-garden grid with the services inside a firewall.
Some of us are looking into getting that same amount of security in the Hypergrid and other open configurations, that is, with the services on the public internet and people being able to visit arbitrary grids. But that's still not here. So if you want security right now, you need a firewall.

Skidz Tweak wrote:

Hi all,

Just getting into opensim myself, and really do enjoy it so far.

My questions today are related to security. Like any type of application that you expose to the web there is some security risk. Is there any tips of tricks that any of you can recommend to ensure better security for an entire grid, besides the obvious like use a firewall and such.

I use Sandboxie a lot, and was considering trying to run a full grid, sandboxed, but not sure if it will work yet. Sandboxie creates a virtual enviroment for the application to run, restricting its access to key areas of a OS. Has anyone else tried this?

Re: Security Question

Kyle Hamilton
I think that this isn't quite what the OP was asking.

The best way to do this would be to run a firewall with static port
mapping to a specific IP, and then run a VMware machine (or,
alternatively, VirtualBox [from virtualbox.org]) to host your regions.
 At this point, a full security audit has not been done on the code or
how it interacts with either .Net or Mono and improper access to
inappropriate filesystem paths.

-Kyle H

Tasman Perth wrote:

> Thanks Justin!!
>
> I tried opening the scene_oar.tar.gz on the Linux machine using the real
> tar and gzip, and placed a copy of the correct r32 terrain file, and then
> retarred/gzipped it, increasing the size of the oar by double.. Alas it
> still blew up with a slightly different error:
>
> Region (OpenSim Test) # load oar scene_oar.tar.gz
> 01:01:46 - [ARCHIVER]: Loading archive to region OpenSim Test from
> scene_oar.tar.gz
> 01:01:46 - [ARCHIVER]: Error loading oar file. Exception was:
> System.IO.InvalidDataException: Invalid ZLib data.
>   at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.ReadInternal (System.Byte[]
> array, Int32 offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Read (System.Byte[] dest, Int32
> dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.Compression.GZipStream.Read (System.Byte[] dest, Int32
> dest_offset, Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadBytes (Int32 count) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadHeader ()
> [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarArchiveReader.ReadEntry
> (System.String& filePath,
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.TarEntryType& entryType) [0x00000]
>   at
> OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveReadRequest.DearchiveRegion0DotStar
> () [0x00000]
> Region (OpenSim Test) #

Not too sure what this I'm afraid.  If anything it looks like the file isn't actually gzipped.

> How do I put a Mantis in on this??

Just go to opensimulator.org/mantis, open a new account and own a new issue.  Please describe as much as you can and
attach the oar if the system will allow you to (presuming that it isn't too big).