Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

JaniP
Hi,

Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Robert Klein
It is sad to see the end of an innocence but as we all know it could not last forever, people being people, we take the good with the bad. Charles, I noticed you posted some info on how to lock down the hypergridded region. Could you take a moment to put the info on the wiki please? If you want me to do it just send me any of the details or post it here. Thanks!

What a great article on the living island project. I also liked how Mac mentions, "OLG members have long been known for their willingness to share."

-Robert

Jani Pirkola wrote

Hi,

Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims:
http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new ones,
implemented as a region module I'd guess:
http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

John Sheridan
Tristan - If I'm not mistaken that module went into OpenSim some time
last week.

Tristan wrote:

> Living plants seem very interesting. I would love to see how it works
> out. Hope that region module is available soon, if not already.
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:38 AM, Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims:
>     http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
>     And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new
>     ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess:
>     http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Diva Canto
FYI, I wrote down instructions for how to ban foreign users:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid#Banning_Foreign_Users

The process is a bit cumbersome at the moment, waiting for good management tools to come along... But for now, that's all we have to do the job.

I reinforce Charles' advice in protecting your public sims:

"
1. In OpenSim.ini set permissionmodules = "DefaultPermissionsModule"
2. In OpenSim.ini set serverside_object_permissions = true
3. In OpenSim.ini set allow_grid_gods = false
4. Go in-world and individually set parcel permissions as desired with the estate menu and the  terrain menu.
"

Jani Pirkola wrote:
Hi,

Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Robert Klein
Diva, would you mind if I moved a bunch of the content from that wiki page to a new page called Hypergrid Security and place it under the Security and Hypergrid categories? We have a tendency to pack so much interdependant info on a single page it becomes difficult to find any singular topic.

Thanks,

-Robert

Diva Canto wrote

Jani Pirkola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims:
> http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
> And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new
> ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess:
> http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721
>
> Best regards,
> Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Robert Klein
Okay great. We have a Hypergrid category so I will break this page up and create new ones for many of the topics. In this way we can add more detailed content to those areas. Just stop me if I go too crazy. :)

-Robert

Diva Canto wrote

Robert Klein wrote:
> Diva, would you mind if I moved a bunch of the content from that wiki page to
> a new page called Hypergrid Security and place it under the Security and
> Hypergrid categories? We have a tendency to pack so much interdependant info
> on a single page it becomes difficult to find any singular topic.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert
>

> Diva Canto wrote:
>
>> FYI, I wrote down instructions for how to ban foreign users:
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid#Banning_Foreign_Users
>>
>> The process is a bit cumbersome at the moment, waiting for good
>> management tools to come along... But for now, that's all we have to do
>> the job.
>>
>> I reinforce Charles' advice in protecting your public sims:
>>
>> "
>> 1. In OpenSim.ini set permissionmodules = "DefaultPermissionsModule"
>> 2. In OpenSim.ini set serverside_object_permissions = true
>> 3. In OpenSim.ini set allow_grid_gods = false
>> 4. Go in-world and individually set parcel permissions as desired with
>> the estate menu and the  terrain menu.
>> "
>>
>> Jani Pirkola wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Diva gave me some screenshots from vandalized UCI sims:
>>> http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749
>>> And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new
>>> ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess:
>>> http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Jani

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Frisby, Adam

Uhh, isn’t that the tree populator module I submitted into core like ~Feb 2007?

Adam

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

justincc
Nah, it's just a fantastically unlikely coincidence.  Really.

Frisby, Adam wrote:

> Uhh, isn’t that the tree populator module I submitted into core like
> ~Feb 2007?
>

> Adam

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Robert Klein
Ha ha ha, well now we know WHO to blame for our tree addiction. They mention in the article it does grass too. Does it? Can we get a complete set of instructions or at least options?

Thanks,

-Robert

Justin Clark-Casey wrote

Frisby, Adam wrote:
> Uhh, isn’t that the tree populator module I submitted into core like
> ~Feb 2007?
>

> Adam

It'll do any 'tree type' - however the grasses don’t respond to the scale property IIRC, so they will just 'appear' but not grow.

Adam

I think you would have to ask OpenLife for that.

Robert Klein wrote:

> Ha ha ha, well now we know WHO to blame for our tree addiction. They mention
> in the article it does grass too. Does it? Can we get a complete set of
> instructions or at least options?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert
>

> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>> Nah, it's just a fantastically unlikely coincidence.  Really.
>>
>> Frisby, Adam wrote:
>>> Uhh, isn’t that the tree populator module I submitted into core like
>>> ~Feb 2007?
>>>

>>> Adam

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=749 And Openlife has implemented virtual growing plants that seed new ones, implemented as a region module I'd guess: http://www.cybertechnews.org/?p=721 Best regards, Jani ------------------------------------------------------------------------ _______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshots from UCI and Openlife's virtual living island

Frank W Sweet
Really? Where did you get them? I do not need cows but I need deer,
squirrels, peacocks, and maybe a horse or two.

Frank W Sweet

Robert Klein wrote:

> Ha ha ha, well now we know WHO to blame for our tree addiction. They
> mention
> in the article it does grass too. Does it? Can we get a complete set
> of
> instructions or at least options?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert
>

> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>> Nah, it's just a fantastically unlikely coincidence.  Really.
>>
>> Frisby, Adam wrote:
>>
>>> Uhh, isnâ??t that the tree populator module I submitted into core
>>> like
>>> ~Feb 2007?
>>>

>>> Adam
>>>

>>> *From:* [hidden email]

Really? Any tree type? Adam do you have some usage/commands that you could share with us? It appears many of us are at least a bit fascinated by this. Any documentation?

-Robert

Frisby, Adam wrote
It'll do any 'tree type' - however the grasses don’t respond to the scale property IIRC, so they will just 'appear' but not grow.

Adam

It wasn’t really designed to be operated via console - I did it as something that was just testing the modules interface for trees. To add the other tree types, etc - you just need to change the argument passed in the modules' CreateTree function.

Adam

Stefan Andersson
Just for sake of joining in the flogging of the cat, I blogged together a little tutorial on one way to attach lsl/ossl scripts to trees and grass.

http://lbsa71.net/2009/02/20/hacking-trees/

Of course, you don't want a forest of scripted trees, but there are some nice possibilities in there, especially with the 'new trees'.

Also, I touch on some under-the-hood concepts, so might be an interesting read, even if you don't plan on scripting trees...

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB