Server Limitations?

Robert Klein
Just a heads up, you definitely do not want to grow more than 150 trees on a 1gb 4 Region simulator. I started having all sorts of issues with the viewer not keeping up but when I weeded down to 145 trees everything is behaving now. This brings me to a question:

Running in Standalone mode using Ubuntu, what is the best ratio of Server RAM to Regions to Amount of Prims? I am of course meaning in a general sense because I realise there are various types of prims and such, lets just assume for argument a typical cube 1m x 1m x 1m. Also assuming a base core processor of at least a Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz which is probably atypical for many of us just getting started.

-Robert

Re: Server Limitations?

LC-2
Hello,

Ram could be an issue and the usual motto, the more, the better is true.
The other important point, even  more important than Ram, is your internet upload stream (server to client).
If you run your box on a 1.5mb upload DSLbox, don't expect too much.

As exemple, all the regionserver in our grid (k-grid) are on 100mb symetric link to the clients.

To sumerize :
 1) Bandwith
 2) Ram

I know we can arrgue, but thoses are really the 2 mains points to take care.

Sacha

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just a heads up, you definitely do not want to grow more than 150 trees on a
1gb 4 Region simulator. I started having all sorts of issues with the viewer
not keeping up but when I weeded down to 145 trees everything is behaving
now. This brings me to a question:

Running in Standalone mode using Ubuntu, what is the best ratio of Server
RAM to Regions to Amount of Prims? I am of course meaning in a general sense
because I realise there are various types of prims and such, lets just
assume for argument a typical cube 1m x 1m x 1m. Also assuming a base core
processor of at least a Core 2 Duo 2.33ghz which is probably atypical for
many of us just getting started.

-Robert

Sacha

Re: Server Limitations?

Ideia Boa
What my experience tells me, is  that this problem is related to the regions by server overload or excessive movement of avatars rezz of prims made by the same time

Lc wrote:

Hello,

Ram could be an issue and the usual motto, the more, the better is true.
The other important point, even  more important than Ram, is your internet
upload stream (server to client).
If you run your box on a 1.5mb upload DSLbox, don't expect too much.

As exemple, all the regionserver in our grid (k-grid) are on 100mb
symetric
link to the clients.

To sumerize :
 1) Bandwith
 2) Ram

I know we can arrgue, but thoses are really the 2 mains points to take
care.

Sacha

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: Server Limitations?

Ideia Boa
Sorry, wrong reply
Ideia Boa wrote
What my experience tells me, is that this problem is related to the regions by server overload or excessive movement of avatars rezz of prims made by the same time Robert Klein wrote: > Ah, so bandwidth can have a huge impact on performance? I have noticed the > issue is not so frequent while running inside my network as it is coming in > from the internet. Still happens just not so much. > > -Robert > > > Lc wrote: > >> Hello, >> >> Ram could be an issue and the usual motto, the more, the better is true. >> The other important point, even more important than Ram, is your internet >> upload stream (server to client). >> If you run your box on a 1.5mb upload DSLbox, don't expect too much. >> >> As exemple, all the regionserver in our grid (k-grid) are on 100mb >> symetric >> link to the clients. >> >> To sumerize : >> 1) Bandwith >> 2) Ram >> >> I know we can arrgue, but thoses are really the 2 mains points to take >> care. >> >> Sacha >> >> >> > > begin:vcard fn:Ideia Boa n:Boa;Ideia note;quoted-printable:Best regards,=0D=0A= Ideia Boa=0D=0A= WorldSimTerra=0D=0A= =0D=0A= Join the new 3D world revolution : http://www.worldsimterra.com/ x-mozilla-html:TRUE url:http://www.worldsimterra.com version:2.1 end:vcard _______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list Opensim-users@lists.berlios.de https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com