Setting Splash Page

J. Wayde Allen
OK, I'm really new to OpenSimulator, just got it running over the
weekend, and have been trying to set the background image/page that is
displayed when the Secondlife viewer connects.  From the manual it seems
that I should set the "welcome" option in the OpenSim.ini file:

   welcome - This value is a string and can contain the URI of the
welcome page to
   display in the client (the loginpage parameter of the SecondLife
client).

So, I've created a very simple html file called "welcome" located in the
bin directory, and that doesn't get displayed.  I've also tried putting
a known URL on an outside web server as the entry to that attribute, and
still nothing seems to change.  I am evidently misunderstanding
something here.

Running in stand-alone mode for now.

- Wayde

Re: Setting Splash Page

Fish_Kungfu

Just add a "-loginpage http://localhost/welcome.html" to your client arguments.  Instead of "localhost" you can put the url or ip of your web server.

For example, mine is:

../secondlife -loginuri http://192.168.2.2:9000 -loginpage http://192.168.2.3/loginpage.html

IHTH...Cheers... ~~Fish~~

On Feb 9, 2009 1:47 PM, "wallen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ursula MATOVA
Hi Wayde,

The way I use to setup my "SplashPage" for my grid is very simple :

Just use the "http_loginform.html.example" file to create a
"http_loginform.html" file in your OpenSim bin directory.

In my case, I transfert everything to an apache server on the same
computer,
Here is the content on my "http_loginform.html" file :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
">
<head>
charset=ISO-8859-1" />
index.php">
<title>OpenSim Grid</title>
</head>

Hope this could help you.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 9 févr. 09 à 19:17, wallen a écrit :

> OK, I'm really new to OpenSimulator, just got it running over the
> weekend, and have been trying to set the background image/page that is
> displayed when the Secondlife viewer connects.  From the manual it
> seems
> that I should set the "welcome" option in the OpenSim.ini file:
>
>   welcome - This value is a string and can contain the URI of the
> welcome page to
>   display in the client (the loginpage parameter of the SecondLife
> client).
>
> So, I've created a very simple html file called "welcome" located in
> the
> bin directory, and that doesn't get displayed.  I've also tried
> putting
> a known URL on an outside web server as the entry to that attribute,
> and
> still nothing seems to change.  I am evidently misunderstanding
> something here.
>
> Running in stand-alone mode for now.
>
> - Wayde

Re: Setting Splash Page

Fish_Kungfu

Ursula's method is far better than my suggestion.  In fact, I'm changing to what she said, since it's really the correct way.  Thx Ursula!
~~Fish~~

On Feb 9, 2009 2:01 PM, "Ursula MATOVA" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Wayde,

The way I use to setup my "SplashPage" for my grid is very simple :

Just use the "http_loginform.html.example" file to create a
"http_loginform.html" file in your OpenSim bin directory.

In my case, I transfert everything to an apache server on the same
computer,
Here is the content on my "http_loginform.html" file :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
">
<head>
charset=ISO-8859-1" />
index.php">
<title>OpenSim Grid</title>
</head>

Hope this could help you.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 9 févr. 09 à 19:17, wallen a écrit :

> OK, I'm really new to OpenSimulator, just got it running over the > weekend, and have been trying...

Re: Setting Splash Page

Ursula MATOVA
You're welcome Fish :)

As I'm using the MySQL Storage Backend, using Apache/PHP/MySQL/GD, ... is very useful to produce nice "SplashPages" for your grid.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 9 févr. 09 à 20:23, Fish Kungfu a écrit :

Ursula's method is far better than my suggestion.  In fact, I'm changing to what she said, since it's really the correct way.  Thx Ursula!
~~Fish~~

On Feb 9, 2009 2:01 PM, "Ursula MATOVA" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Wayde,

The way I use to setup my "SplashPage" for my grid is very simple :

Just use the "http_loginform.html.example" file to create a
"http_loginform.html" file in your OpenSim bin directory.

In my case, I transfert everything to an apache server on the same
computer,
Here is the content on my "http_loginform.html" file :

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
">
<head>
charset=ISO-8859-1" />
index.php">
<title>OpenSim Grid</title>
</head>

Hope this could help you.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 9 févr. 09 à 19:17, wallen a écrit :

> OK, I'm really new to OpenSimulator, just got it running over the > weekend, and have been trying...

Re: Setting Splash Page

wayde
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:23:51 -0500, Fish Kungfu wrote
> Ursula's method is far better than my suggestion.  In fact, I'm
> changing to what she said, since it's really the correct way.  Thx Ursula!

OK, but it seems that both of you are running a web server separate from the
OpenSimulator software.  That does seem to work.

Does this mean that the "welcome" option in the OpenSim.ini file doesn't
actually do anything?

- Wayde

Re: Setting Splash Page

Robert Klein
Welcome Wayde,

Yes I believe you have to serve the page to the viewer via a web server which has always worked for me. This makes sense because the helper page can be a full blown web page with all sorts of functionality. Check out the OSGrid helper page at http://osgrid.org/ for a great example. The welcome option I believe you are refering to is the welcome message that gets displayed as you connect to the simulator. Usually I put some maintenance info or a tip or something.

-Robert

wayde wrote
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:23:51 -0500, Fish Kungfu wrote
> Ursula's method is far better than my suggestion.  In fact, I'm
> changing to what she said, since it's really the correct way.  Thx Ursula!

OK, but it seems that both of you are running a web server separate from the
OpenSimulator software.  That does seem to work.

Does this mean that the "welcome" option in the OpenSim.ini file doesn't
actually do anything?

- Wayde

Re: Setting Splash Page

Ursula MATOVA

Wayde,
Are you talking about the "welcome" option in the "GridInfo" section of
OpenSim.ini file  ?

If yes, just update this option with the URL pointing to your apache web
server.

According to my experience, it's only useful when you are using "Hippo
OpenSim viewer".
Doesn't help with regular S/L Viewer. ( but I may be wrong ).

The regular S/L Viewer use the "http_loginform.html" file and the
internal web server provided by OpenSim.

Just for your information, I use this method for more than one year :)

Regards,
Ursula.

[hidden email] a écrit :

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:23:51 -0500, Fish Kungfu wrote
>
>> Ursula's method is far better than my suggestion.  In fact, I'm
>> changing to what she said, since it's really the correct way.  Thx Ursula!
>>

> OK, but it seems that both of you are running a web server separate from the
> OpenSimulator software.  That does seem to work.
>
> Does this mean that the "welcome" option in the OpenSim.ini file doesn't
> actually do anything?
>
> - Wayde

Re: Setting Splash Page

Dr Scofield
Ursula MATOVA wrote:

> Wayde,
> Are you talking about the "welcome" option in the "GridInfo" section of
> OpenSim.ini file  ?
>
> If yes, just update this option with the URL pointing to your apache web
> server.
>
> According to my experience, it's only useful when you are using "Hippo
> OpenSim viewer".
> Doesn't help with regular S/L Viewer. ( but I may be wrong ).

hippo and rezzme both make use of GridInfo. SL viewer don't.

        DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: Setting Splash Page

Frank W Sweet
Is there anyplace whence I can download a windows installer for
rezzme?

Frank W Sweet

Frank W Sweet wrote:
> Is there anyplace whence I can download a windows installer for
> rezzme?

i wish i could do that, but company policy does not allow me to distribute
binaries :-( one can create a windows installer for rezzme...

        DrS/dirk