Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems

Randy Pierce
Am running OpenSim 7.0.2 under Windows XP. Both Robust and OpenSim are running on same computer in grid mode. All ports have been opened and the SQL has been created.

Everything is fine to this point. I can logon locally, as well as outside of my home network. Now for the problem ...

When either I or my friend logs in from the outside network they are limited to only the region they log into. In other words, I have 8 regions running and they can punch into any one of them with no problems.

They can see the world map, but when they try to tp or move acorss the boundaries, they cannot. They do not even see the region in front of them.

Any ideas would be helpful, I've been beating my avatar about the wall for nearly 7 days now ...
Changing the world - one prim at a time! The Insight Concepts Grid http://gcse.dyndns.org:8002

Re: Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems

Fleep Tuque
Do you have permissions enabled in the opensim.ini file?  Does it make any difference if you turn permissions off?

The only time I've seen that behavior is when I had permissions turned on and public access on the estate/region turned off..

- Fleep

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Randy Pierce <[hidden email]> wrote:

They can see the world map, but when they try to tp or move acorss the
boundaries, they cannot. They do not even see the region in front of them.

Re: Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems

Randy Pierce
Permission in the opensim.ini are set to FALSE.
Left them at FALSE so to not overburdeon the ROBUST

Not sure where the setting is reference - "public access on the
estate/region"?
Are you referring to port 9000 (stand-alone) and 8002 (public).

Further questions:

(1) what do the Mini Region Modules have to do with anything?

(2) Would it make it easier if I were to feed you a copy of my
opensim.ini and robust.ini (minus my password and IP lines?

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Do you have permissions enabled in the opensim.ini file?  Does it make
> any
> difference if you turn permissions off?
>
> The only time I've seen that behavior is when I had permissions turned
> on
> and public access on the estate/region turned off..
>
> - Fleep
>

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Randy Pierce
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> They can see the world map, but when they try to tp or move acorss
>> the
>> boundaries, they cannot. They do not even see the region in front of
>> them.

(2) Would it make it easier if I were to feed you a copy of my opensim.ini and robust.ini (minus my password and IP lines?
Changing the world - one prim at a time! The Insight Concepts Grid http://gcse.dyndns.org:8002

Re: Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems

Darren Williams-2
IMHO this doesn't seem like a permissions error. Sounds more to do with agents being posted in the right place and probably caused by an internal networking error within the lan, if you are running multiple instances.

If you do a show users full when a user from outside the lan is logged in, do you see the child agents correctly showing in the neighbouring regions? That's possibly a red herring though thinking about it, what do you have for the IP's in the regions ini?

Permission in the opensim.ini are set to FALSE.
Left them at FALSE so to not overburdeon the ROBUST

Not sure where the setting is reference - "public access on the
estate/region"?
Are you referring to port 9000 (stand-alone) and 8002 (public).

Further questions:

(1) what do the Mini Region Modules have to do with anything?

(2) Would it make it easier if I were to feed you a copy of my
opensim.ini and robust.ini (minus my password and IP lines?

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Do you have permissions enabled in the opensim.ini file?  Does it make
> any
> difference if you turn permissions off?
>
> The only time I've seen that behavior is when I had permissions turned
> on
> and public access on the estate/region turned off..
>
> - Fleep
>

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Randy Pierce
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> They can see the world map, but when they try to tp or move acorss
>> the
>> boundaries, they cannot. They do not even see the region in front of
>> them.

Re: Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems

Randy Pierce
Yes, I can see the child agents correctly. I have validated this against
my log files (external user not on at time of this posting).
I have no "red herrings" (as I interpret your thoughts) - there are
absolutely no red responses coming from ROBUST or OPENSIM consoles
Only issues I am having from there appear in yellow and are only the
groups module.

Ips in regions.ini file are from 9000-9008. Using an internal IP of my
computer as INTERNAL and my EXTERNAL has been renamed to my DYNS
redirect, xxx.dyndns.org

Randy and Family

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Darren Williams wrote:

> IMHO this doesn't seem like a permissions error. Sounds more to do
> with agents being posted in the right place and probably caused by an
> internal networking error within the lan, if you are running multiple
> instances.
>
> If you do a show users full when a user from outside the lan is logged
> in, do you see the child agents correctly showing in the neighbouring
> regions? That's possibly a red herring though thinking about it, what
> do you have for the IP's in the regions ini?

Tokeiito
The more i read the more it looks like loopback problem. Maybe worth
to try: http://help.newworldgrid.com/lang/en/loopback-adapter-on-windows-xp

Respectfully,

Tokeiito Imako

Second Life and OSGrid

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, I can see the child agents correctly. I have validated this against my
> log files (external user not on at time of this posting).
> I have no "red herrings" (as I interpret your thoughts) - there are
> absolutely no red responses coming from ROBUST or OPENSIM consoles
> Only issues I am having from there appear in yellow and are only the groups
> module.
>
> Ips in regions.ini file are from 9000-9008. Using an internal IP of my
> computer as INTERNAL and my EXTERNAL has been renamed to my DYNS redirect,
> xxx.dyndns.org
>

> Randy and Family
>

> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Darren Williams wrote:
>
>> IMHO this doesn't seem like a permissions error. Sounds more to do with
>> agents being posted in the right place and probably caused by an internal
>> networking error within the lan, if you are running multiple instances.
>>
>> If you do a show users full when a user from outside the lan is logged in,
>> do you see the child agents correctly showing in the neighbouring regions?
>> That's possibly a red herring though thinking about it, what do you have for
>> the IP's in the regions ini?

Internal loopback did not fix the problem either. Am going to go ahea and install v 7.1 on another computer and try to see if issue still exists. The current version is v 0.7.0.2 and as far as I could see there is not an update file to see what was changed/fixed. I have all required info to change my ini files. Working with fingers corssed.

Randy
Changing the world - one prim at a time! The Insight Concepts Grid http://gcse.dyndns.org:8002

Looking for an extremely old tutorial

Randy Pierce
At one time (2007-ish time frame) I ran across a very useful tutorial. The
tutorial provided step-by-step guidance of how to bring real world terrain
into OpenSim. The original website that carried it was
http://www.virtualwhite.com/?p=100

Obviously that web is no longer available. I am either looking for someone
who can provide me with a full version of this original tutorial or a newer
model of a tutorial. I'd prefer to use Bailiwick and Terragen since this is
the software I am most knowledgeable of.

And, and all, help is greatly appreciated. I have (based on my counts) a
project of nearly 400 regions to put together from original global terrain
maps.

RE: Looking for an extremely old tutorial

Randy Pierce

Thanks Nebadon. I knew there had to be a way to get access to the information. I am not sure if I can gain access (at the right level) to get this onto Opensimulator but I can try. I have a vested interest in this, whereas the majority of others may not. Biggest issue I forsee is whether the links work and/or if I can find suitable traces to a new link if they do not.

Thanks again

[...]

http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Setting-up-OpenSim-7-0-2-Problems-tp5879801p7580376.html

To start a new topic under opensim-users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Setting up OpenSim 7.0.2 Problems, click here.
NAML

Changing the world - one prim at a time! The Insight Concepts Grid http://gcse.dyndns.org:8002

Re: Looking for an extremely old tutorial

Kim Minuet
I've used this technique with data sourced from the Australian NEDF Portal (nedf.ga.gov.au) and the two issues I struck were:
  1. I had trouble selecting an accurate sized square from the source data (I wanted to cut exactly 1024m square to cover 4 regions and be in scale with height)
  2. Terrain is just so darned big ... even 1km is small in terrain terms when I was trying to model mountain ranges that in reality cover 10's of km (you might have this licked with a 400 region area!)

In the tutorial I noted that there were issues with base heights for the grey scale colour ranges ... I am sure when I did it there was an option in Microdem to establish the base and max heights the height map covered.  You then offset by the base amount when you import into Opensim

Kim

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:10:44 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Looking for an extremely old tutorial

Thanks Nebadon. I knew there had to be a way to get access to the information. I am not sure if I can gain access (at the right level) to get this onto Opensimulator but I can try. I have a vested interest in this, whereas the majority of others may not. Biggest issue I forsee is whether the links work and/or if I can find suitable traces to a new link if they do not.

Thanks again

Re: Looking for an extremely old tutorial

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Excellent idea.  Sometimes things drop off archive.org, and it would be a shame if this tutorial disappeared.

Please feel free to link to it from the wiki if you wish.

Take care,
-John "Pathfinder" Lester

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry