Sharing a set of ini for NAT grids

Jeff Kelley
Greetings.

Here is a set of ini files to host a grid behing a NAT gateway.

It helps concealing the private port (8003) by adding a new variable
PrivURL. Defaulting  to BaseURL, it may point to a local addres like
'localhost' or '192.168.0.15'.

No need then to access port 8003 on the public address via NAT loopback.

https://github.com/jeff-kelley/opensim-NAT

All remarks welcome.

-- Jeff

Re: Sharing a set of ini for NAT grids

Serendipity Seraph-2
I am not altogether sure what this does for me.  This is for an actual grid
rather than standalone?  If actual grid is it accessible from other
machines?  Are the servers using the grid accessible to other machines in
at least the same lan?

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jeff Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Here is a set of ini files to host a grid behing a NAT gateway.
>
> It helps concealing the private port (8003) by adding a new variable
> PrivURL. Defaulting  to BaseURL, it may point to a local addres like
> 'localhost' or '192.168.0.15'.
>
> No need then to access port 8003 on the public address via NAT loopback.
>
> https://github.com/jeff-kelley/opensim-NAT
>
> All remarks welcome.
>

> -- Jeff

Re: Sharing a set of ini for NAT grids

Jeff Kelley
Hi Serendipity.

Yes, this is for a grid hypergrid behind a residential gateway, box ou router.
It does not apply to a standalone.

In grid mode, communication between simulators and ROBUST use a
private port (8003 by default). This port should be kept private
(hence the name) inside you LAN or server running the grid.

Other ports : ROBUST (default 8002), simulator and regions ports must
be accessible to any viewer connecting to the grid.

If you run a grid at home, BaseURL will be something like
http://111.22.33.44 or htt://mygrid.dyndns.org. This is your external
IP on the internet. The ports must be opened at the gateway level
(box or router "NAT rules", "port forwarding").

Let's say for example your grid server is on a PC at local address
192.168.0.15 and use ports 8002 (ROBUST), 8010, 8011, 8012
(simulators and regions). Your NAT rules will look like :

     8002-8012     192.168.0.15     TCP/UDP

meaning that a request incoming for ports 8002 to 8013 should be
routed to the PC at local address192.168.0.15.

Also see http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings#NAT_and_Port_Forwarding

Yourself inside the LAN should connect you viewer to this address
(loginuri=http://mygrid.dyndns.org:8002). This url refers to your
external IP on the internet, but is folded to, or "loopbacked" to the
internal IP 192.168.0.15. This is NAT loopback.

Not any box/router does NAT loopback, see
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

What happens to the private port? In the default configuration, its
url is http://mygrid.dyndns.org:8003 and is also accessed via the
loopback mechanism. Anybody outside can connect to port 8003 and this
is not desirable.

Using the modified ini's, you may declare PrivURL=http://192.168.0.15
(if ROBUST and simulators runs on different machines) or
PrivURL=http://localhost (if they run on the same machine).

The private connections between simulators and ROBUST are now local
and you may exclude port 8003 from your NAT rules, or choose a port
outside the range 8002-8012.

>  Are the servers using the grid accessible to other machines in at
>least the same lan?

Yes, the server is accessible to any machine in the same LAN and on
the internet.

If the viewer and the grid runs on the same machine, you may want the
simpler software loopback adapter.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers#Windows_XP.2C_Windows_7.2C_8.2C_8.1.2C_10_Loopback_Adapter_Install:

-- Jeff