Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Len W. Brown
This is not really OpenSim specific but kinda...

     I have virtual drives I mount that OpenSim resides on which I use for local experimentation.  These virtual drives always mount the the same specific drive letter.

     But I have a copy of OpenSim on a thumb drive I use on a few different computers.  As a result, sometimes it mounts as D: and sometimes as E: and so on.

     I have a shortcut to the OpenSom executable located outside of the "opensim" directory on the thumb drive.  The shortcut has the following:

X:\opensim\OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe

     X, obviously, is whatever drive the thumb drive is currently assigned to.  But since this thumb drive's letter assignment occasionally changes, is there something I can replace the above with so that no matter what drive letter my thumb is assigned, the shortcut will still link to the executable in the opensim directory?

Thanks a bunch!

--
- Len W. Brown
  [hidden email]

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Karen_Palen
That really seems to be a Windows OS problem, I think there is a way to uniquely detect a drive in Windows Scripting, but I have not used it in some time.

I would suspect that there is a system call which will give you all mounted drives (or just try everything from A: to Z: :-( ), then you would need to detect somehting unique about the drive.

In Linux every drive is automatically assigned a UUID which can then be used to unequivocally mount and refer to that drive even if you change the drive mount order in the BIOS.

Possibly the drive serial number would work, but I am not sure if that is truly unique and there are several functions that cause the serial number to be changed!

Many of the so called DRM systems I rant about have used the "unique" drive serial number as a key, only to find that key "disappear" for no obvious reason. A great way to drive the support staff mad. :-(

Karen