Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Steven Westcot
Len,

Tthe easiest way on Windows might be a batch file that has the following line in it:

%CD%\opensim\OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe

%CD% is an environment variable for Windows that puts the current directory path where the variable is located.  It's often used in batch files and on the command prompt but whether it would work for a shortcut I'm not sure.

Steve W.

This is not really OpenSim specific but kinda...

    I have virtual drives I mount that OpenSim resides on which I use for
local experimentation.  These virtual drives always mount the the same
specific drive letter.

    But I have a copy of OpenSim on a thumb drive I use on a few different
computers.  As a result, sometimes it mounts as D: and sometimes as E: and
so on.

    I have a shortcut to the OpenSom executable located outside of the
"opensim" directory on the thumb drive.  The shortcut has the following:

X:\opensim\OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe

    X, obviously, is whatever drive the thumb drive is currently assigned
to.  But since this thumb drive's letter assignment occasionally changes, is
there something I can replace the above with so that no matter what drive
letter my thumb is assigned, the shortcut will still link to the executable
in the opensim directory?

Thanks a bunch!

--
- Len W. Brown

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Len W. Brown
Thanks Steve, I saw your post just as I was about to mention I'd seen the expression  %CDROM% before in DOS batch files. But that detected the first CD drive in sequence.  Maybe though I can find an expression for the first unassigned drive letter in sequence DOS expression and see how that works.

I'll experiment some and ask my good buddy Google for help too (but only if I have to).  :)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Steven Westcot <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

  [hidden email]
     http://www.lenfocenter.com

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Len W. Brown
I believe I found the solution!

     I just read that if you remove the text in the "Start in:" field then the shortcut will dynamically change each time you plug in the drive and click the shortcut - always pointing to the original executable.

I removed "C:\opensim" from the Start in field, and so far it appears to work.  Was assigned as F on my desktop and as E: now on my laptop!

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Karen_Palen
<unkind comment about Windows users switching to Linux goes here> LOL

> [...]
> to the executable
>

> in the opensim directory?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> --
> - Len W. Brown

> - Len W. Brown
>    [hidden email]
>
>       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> --
> - Len W. Brown
>    [hidden email]
>
>       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> --
> - Len W. Brown
>    [hidden email]
>
>       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> --
> - Len W. Brown
>    [hidden email]
>
>       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

:P  Don't hate me because I use Windows.  Hate me because I own shares in Microsoft!

Actually, I have a passion for Gentoo Linux.  I run OpenSim on Gentoo as well, but I also do occasional presentations and so forth on Windows machines and I cater to the foolish masses who know not what dangers they face when they operate their Windows pcs.  :)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> the the same
> specific drive letter.
>
>     But I have a copy of OpenSim on a thumb drive I use
> on a few different
> computers.  As a result, sometimes it mounts as D: and
> sometimes as E: and
>

> so on.
>
>     I have a shortcut to the OpenSom executable located
> outside of the
> "opensim" directory on the thumb drive.  The
> shortcut has the following:
>
> X:\opensim\OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe
>

>     X, obviously, is whatever drive the thumb drive is
> currently assigned
>
> to.  But since this thumb drive's letter assignment
> occasionally changes, is
> there something I can replace the above with so that no
> matter what drive
> letter my thumb is assigned, the shortcut will still link

- Len W. Brown
  [hidden email]
     http://www.lenfocenter.com

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Karen_Palen
I think we are all in that boat.

I run my business accounting software under Win 2K in a virtual machine mostly because Quickbooks won't run under wine and I can't get GNUcash to access my bank!.

I was gratified to find out that a VM with different host and virtual OSes is one of the most secure environments there are these days. It makes building a root kit or a virus an enormously complicated task!

In addition it is very straightforward to encrypt the entire VM leaving no traces of cache files etc. around.

Karen

> [...]
>
> > - Len W. Brown

> > --
>
> > - Len W. Brown
>
> >    [hidden email]
>

> >       http://www.lenfocenter.com

> > --
>
> > - Len W. Brown
>
> >    [hidden email]
>

> >       http://www.lenfocenter.com

> > --
>
> > - Len W. Brown
>
> >    [hidden email]
>

> >       http://www.lenfocenter.com

> > --
>
> > - Len W. Brown
>
> >    [hidden email]
>

> >       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> - Len W. Brown
>    [hidden email]
>
>       http://www.lenfocenter.com
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Right on!

A combination of TrueCrypt and VMWare 7.0.1 running Windows XP Pro is my standard play platform.  Encrypted and self-contained, deleting it and replacing it is a sweet way to dork around with things and not worry about hosing my computers.

Plus it's nice for me to run the virtual system on a Windows, Mac or Linux host at will too.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> > on a few different
>
> > computers.  As a result, sometimes it mounts as D:
> and
>
> > sometimes as E: and
>

> > so on.
>

> >     I have a shortcut to the OpenSom executable
> located
>
> > outside of the
>
> > "opensim" directory on the thumb drive.
>  The
>
> > shortcut has the following:
>

> > X:\opensim\OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe
>

> >     X, obviously, is whatever drive the thumb drive
> is
>
> > currently assigned
>

> > to.  But since this thumb drive's letter
> assignment
>
> > occasionally changes, is
>
> > there something I can replace the above with so that
> no
>
> > matter what drive
>
> > letter my thumb is assigned, the shortcut will still

- Len W. Brown
  [hidden email]
     http://www.lenfocenter.com

Re: Shortcut Creation Drive-Letter Auto- Assignment?

Karen_Palen
I like Win2K for that mostly because it is a much simpler OS and there is no hassle with activation.

Most of the XP/Vista/Win 7 advanced features are either security related or user display related, none of which do anything for running single apps.

Karen