Sim owner permissions

enauman
I'm wondering why the sim owner account does not have permissions to view/edit nocopy/nomodify scripts in prims made by other accounts when they can edit the prims themselves. I have students working with scripts and if they forget to set permissions properly I can only check errors when they are present.

Re: Sim owner permissions

Chris Kennedy-2
On 1/25/2011 10:49 PM, enauman wrote:
> I'm wondering why the sim owner account does not have permissions to
> view/edit nocopy/nomodify scripts in prims made by other accounts when they
> can edit the prims themselves. I have students working with scripts and if
> they forget to set permissions properly I can only check errors when they
> are present.

Have you tried going into Admin mode ( CTRL + ALT + G ) and then forcing
owner to you? Rez out a copy (or make a copy) of the object and edit it
then go to the Admin  menu -> Object -> Force Owner to Me (or try Force
Owner Permissive). If you are logged into the sim owner account it
should force the object's owner name to you and allow you to view the
script. Not sure if this will work when server side permissions are set
to true though. Good luck!

Re: Sim owner permissions

Tokeiito
Its very simple, couse security. If sim owners were able access no-mod
scripts it will be very easy to "steal" others work. There are two
simple ways to solve yours problem:

Work on yours own grid, so with GOD powers you will be able to bypass
permissions, but i'm not sure is that implemented in opensimulator.
Second choice, in viewer settings its possible to set default
permissions for created items. Ask students to configure them for full
permissions for everyone, so they wont be able to forget permission
settings, unless that is done for purpose.

Respectfully,

Tokeiito Imako

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:49 AM, enauman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm wondering why the sim owner account does not have permissions to
> view/edit nocopy/nomodify scripts in prims made by other accounts when they
> can edit the prims themselves. I have students working with scripts and if
> they forget to set permissions properly I can only check errors when they
> are present.

Re: Sim owner permissions

enauman
This worked, thanks Chris! Though it does take ownership away from the student. What seems strange to me is if you copy the student's prim and take ownership of the copy, it also takes ownership of the original.

Re: Sim owner permissions

Chris Kennedy-2
On 1/26/2011 9:26 PM, enauman wrote:
> This worked, thanks Chris! Though it does take ownership away from the
> student. What seems strange to me is if you copy the student's prim and take
> ownership of the copy, it also takes ownership of the original.

No problem =) and yeah that's the only drawback; it does transfer
complete ownership of the object. However, I did not know that it would
also transfer ownership of copied items as well... Does seem strange
but, perhaps its due to the asset IDs being the same?