Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Chris Kennedy-2
I have found out that when calling sounds via LSL using llPlaySound,
llTriggerSound, etc. under the Windows version of OpenSim the sounds
refuse to play at all. If I were to play the sound from my inventory;
sometimes they play fine and other times they won't play at all.

When I run the server on Linux; the sounds play fine whether it's coming
from an LSL script or played out of inventory.

Here's a sample of the LSL code I'm using to trigger the sounds:

default
{
     state_entry()
     {
         llOwnerSay("Click to play sound");
     }
     touch_start(integer x)
     {
         llPlaySound("testsound",25.0);
      }
}

This works fine on Linux but not on Windows

Windows 7 32-bit
Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 32-bit

Does anyone know why this may be?

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
I am on Windows As well and all Sounds Play well from Script or
inventory . Ehen playing from inventory make surr your Cam Position is
Not dar Away from your Avatar and the 25.0 is wrong .. Can only be 1.0
max mayby this is à Problem As well

Best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Am 26.02.2010 um 12:52 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:

> I have found out that when calling sounds via LSL using llPlaySound,
> llTriggerSound, etc. under the Windows version of OpenSim the sounds
> refuse to play at all. If I were to play the sound from my
> inventory; sometimes they play fine and other times they won't play
> at all.
>
> When I run the server on Linux; the sounds play fine whether it's
> coming from an LSL script or played out of inventory.
>
> Here's a sample of the LSL code I'm using to trigger the sounds:
>
> default
> {
>    state_entry()
>    {
>        llOwnerSay("Click to play sound");
>    }
>    touch_start(integer x)
>    {
>        llPlaySound("testsound",25.0);
>     }
> }
>
> This works fine on Linux but not on Windows
>
> Windows 7 32-bit
> Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 32-bit
>
> Does anyone know why this may be?

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Chris Kennedy-2
I have tried it with the volume set at 1.0 as well with no luck, and
I've also got my avatar right next to the sound source with my camera
zoomed to the sound source as close as I can possibly get to it and
still can't hear anything from it. I've checked my volume controls in
both SL and the volume controls in my OS and they are up as high as they
can go. Nothing is muted either. Speakers are on of course :)

Thanks for the quick response

On 2/26/2010 6:59 AM, Spacefriends wrote:

> I am on Windows As well and all Sounds Play well from Script or
> inventory . Ehen playing from inventory make surr your Cam Position is
> Not dar Away from your Avatar and the 25.0 is wrong .. Can only be 1.0
> max mayby this is à Problem As well
>
> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
>
> Am 26.02.2010 um 12:52 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I have found out that when calling sounds via LSL using llPlaySound,
>> llTriggerSound, etc. under the Windows version of OpenSim the sounds
>> refuse to play at all. If I were to play the sound from my inventory;
>> sometimes they play fine and other times they won't play at all.
>>
>> When I run the server on Linux; the sounds play fine whether it's
>> coming from an LSL script or played out of inventory.
>>
>> Here's a sample of the LSL code I'm using to trigger the sounds:
>>
>> default
>> {
>>    state_entry()
>>    {
>>        llOwnerSay("Click to play sound");
>>    }
>>    touch_start(integer x)
>>    {
>>        llPlaySound("testsound",25.0);
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> This works fine on Linux but not on Windows
>>
>> Windows 7 32-bit
>> Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 32-bit
>>
>> Does anyone know why this may be?

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Diva Canto
Is this on a mega-region? In mega-regions you need to go to the SW-most
region and enable sounds to go beyond the borders.

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> I have tried it with the volume set at 1.0 as well with no luck, and
> I've also got my avatar right next to the sound source with my camera
> zoomed to the sound source as close as I can possibly get to it and
> still can't hear anything from it. I've checked my volume controls in
> both SL and the volume controls in my OS and they are up as high as they
> can go. Nothing is muted either. Speakers are on of course :)
>
> Thanks for the quick response
>
> On 2/26/2010 6:59 AM, Spacefriends wrote:
>> I am on Windows As well and all Sounds Play well from Script or
>> inventory . Ehen playing from inventory make surr your Cam Position is
>> Not dar Away from your Avatar and the 25.0 is wrong .. Can only be 1.0
>> max mayby this is à Problem As well
>>
>> Best regards
>> Wordfromthe Wise
>>
>> Am 26.02.2010 um 12:52 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I have found out that when calling sounds via LSL using llPlaySound,
>>> llTriggerSound, etc. under the Windows version of OpenSim the sounds
>>> refuse to play at all. If I were to play the sound from my inventory;
>>> sometimes they play fine and other times they won't play at all.
>>>
>>> When I run the server on Linux; the sounds play fine whether it's
>>> coming from an LSL script or played out of inventory.
>>>
>>> Here's a sample of the LSL code I'm using to trigger the sounds:
>>>
>>> default
>>> {
>>>    state_entry()
>>>    {
>>>        llOwnerSay("Click to play sound");
>>>    }
>>>    touch_start(integer x)
>>>    {
>>>        llPlaySound("testsound",25.0);
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> This works fine on Linux but not on Windows
>>>
>>> Windows 7 32-bit
>>> Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 32-bit
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this may be?

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Bill Nickels
Chris Kennedy wrote:

> I have tried it with the volume set at 1.0 as well with no luck, and
> I've also got my avatar right next to the sound source with my camera
> zoomed to the sound source as close as I can possibly get to it and
> still can't hear anything from it. I've checked my volume controls in
> both SL and the volume controls in my OS and they are up as high as
> they can go. Nothing is muted either. Speakers are on of course :)
>
> Thanks for the quick response
>
> On 2/26/2010 6:59 AM, Spacefriends wrote:
>> I am on Windows As well and all Sounds Play well from Script or
>> inventory . Ehen playing from inventory make surr your Cam Position
>> is Not dar Away from your Avatar and the 25.0 is wrong .. Can only be
>> 1.0 max mayby this is à Problem As well
>>
>> Best regards
>> Wordfromthe Wise
>>
>> Am 26.02.2010 um 12:52 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I have found out that when calling sounds via LSL using llPlaySound,
>>> llTriggerSound, etc. under the Windows version of OpenSim the sounds
>>> refuse to play at all. If I were to play the sound from my
>>> inventory; sometimes they play fine and other times they won't play
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> When I run the server on Linux; the sounds play fine whether it's
>>> coming from an LSL script or played out of inventory.
>>>
>>> Here's a sample of the LSL code I'm using to trigger the sounds:
>>>
>>> default
>>> {
>>>    state_entry()
>>>    {
>>>        llOwnerSay("Click to play sound");
>>>    }
>>>    touch_start(integer x)
>>>    {
>>>        llPlaySound("testsound",25.0);
>>>     }
>>> }
>>>
>>> This works fine on Linux but not on Windows
>>>
>>> Windows 7 32-bit
>>> Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 32-bit
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this may be?
Sometimes I have no sound because of switching apps the driver, for lack
of a better description, gets stuck on an application. If I bring up
windows media player and play a song it releases it and I again have
sound across all apps.

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Chris Kennedy-2
No, I'm not running a mega-region. These are just standard sized
regions; running 6 of them in a 2x3 array.

On 2/26/2010 9:13 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Is this on a mega-region? In mega-regions you need to go to the
> SW-most region and enable sounds to go beyond the borders.
>
> Chris Kennedy wrote:
>> I have tried it with the volume set at 1.0 as well with no luck, and
>> I've also got my avatar right next to the sound source with my camera
>> zoomed to the sound source as close as I can possibly get to it and
>> still can't hear anything from it. I've checked my volume controls in
>> both SL and the volume controls in my OS and they are up as high as
>> they can go. Nothing is muted either. Speakers are on of course :)
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response
>>
>> On 2/26/2010 6:59 AM, Spacefriends wrote:
>>> I am on Windows As well and all Sounds Play well from Script or
>>> inventory . Ehen playing from inventory make surr your Cam Position
>>> is Not dar Away from your Avatar and the 25.0 is wrong .. Can only
>>> be 1.0 max mayby this is à Problem As well
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Wordfromthe Wise

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
And the same Sounds Play on Linux that do Not Play on Windows ? I
noticed that i have to boost up Sounds for opensim although they
"Sound loud" in the goldwave editor but very Silent on opensim ??

Best regards

Am 26.02.2010 um 18:18 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:

> No, I'm not running a mega-region. These are just standard sized
> regions; running 6 of them in a 2x3 array.

>> Is this on a mega-region? In mega-regions you need to go to the SW-
>> most region and enable sounds to go beyond the borders.
>>
>> Chris Kennedy wrote:
>>> I have tried it with the volume set at 1.0 as well with no luck,
>>> and I've also got my avatar right next to the sound source with my
>>> camera zoomed to the sound source as close as I can possibly get
>>> to it and still can't hear anything from it. I've checked my
>>> volume controls in both SL and the volume controls in my OS and
>>> they are up as high as they can go. Nothing is muted either.
>>> Speakers are on of course :)
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Chris Kennedy-2
Yes, it's the same exact sound. It plays plenty loud when triggered on
OS for Linux but the same sound from the same exact object when running
OS on Windows is completely dead; no sound at all. I've already boosted
the sound levels on the wav file prior to uploading it to OpenSim; if I
made it any louder it would cause clipping and sound distorted.

On 2/26/2010 2:52 PM, Spacefriends wrote:

> And the same Sounds Play on Linux that do Not Play on Windows ? I
> noticed that i have to boost up Sounds for opensim although they
> "Sound loud" in the goldwave editor but very Silent on opensim ??
>
> Best regards
>
> Am 26.02.2010 um 18:18 schrieb Chris Kennedy <[hidden email]>:
>
>> No, I'm not running a mega-region. These are just standard sized
>> regions; running 6 of them in a 2x3 array.

>>> Is this on a mega-region? In mega-regions you need to go to the
>>> SW-most region and enable sounds to go beyond the borders.

Re: Sounds do not work under Windows OpenSim server

Robert Klein
I has a similar issue with sounds not playing between viewers. The Hippo viewer would play everything just fine but Meerkat, the SL viewer, and several other viewers would play a sound but not music or music and no sounds or nothing at all. Somebody on this list told me to try waiting a looooooong time to see if the sound was actually going to play... and insanely it did for most of the viewers! So, maybe try waiting like 30 minutes to see if the sound actually catches up?

-Robert

Hippo Version 0.6.2 Windows / Disable Update Check / Sound Stopped in OSGRID

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

just for your information..

if you want to disable the UPDATE Check  for the old Hippo version 0.5
after you discoverd to many bugs ... i just figured it out ..

proceed like this ..

http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/opensim-viewer/forum/?action=Forum
Browse&_forum_action=ForumMessageBrowse&thread_id=244&feedback=Message%20rep
lied.

And this info :

after installing the latest Version 0.6.2 Windows Sound Stopped in OSGRID
all my Soundsources
have stopped playing. In all other viewers they play the sounds.

If i highlight the Beacons for Soundsources they are shown ..

Also while opening/and playing sounds from inventory they do not play.
They only play when i select PLAY LOCALLY not while selecting PLAY IN WORLD.

New Uploaded Audio Files are also not playing. Just like described above ..

Parcels Landmusic as well as Videostreams are working so it only affects
uploaded Sounds

I have reported this here:
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/opensim-viewer/forum/?action=Forum
Browse&forum_id=90&_forum_action=ForumMessageBrowse&thread_id=241

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Yes, i have put all sound to max on my system to / and cleared cache and all
that to confirm it is not soundcard/Cache problem.

Re: Hippo Version 0.6.2 Windows / Disable Update Check/ Sound Stopped in OSGRID

Chris Hart
Not sure why it's not working for you - perhaps related to OpenSim
revision, since Hippo 0.6.2 for Windows connected to an OpenSim 0.6.6
grid plays sounds just fine for me.