Standalone vs. Grid vs. "load oar"

riebling
Is there such thing as a 'standalone grid' mode?  I'm not sure
how OpenSim deals with multiple regions' assets and inventories
for the same avatars teleporting between regions.  I've seen
strange errors about attachment state when teleporting between
regions, but this may be due to abuse of the 'load oar' command,
and how it affects asset UUIDs.

For example, an avatar standing in a region will lose their
attachments and clothing if "load oar" is run for that region.
Maybe it's intended to only run when no one's around, or you're
still OpenRuth and you have no clothing/attachments to lose. :)

When following the instructions for setting up Grid mode I rapidly
came to the conclusion that it's probably NOT the right way to set
up multiple Regions on the same OpenSim server, and reverted to
leaving well enough alone.  (mono OpenSim + MySQL storage)

The instructions for setting up Grid mode were thorough up to a
point, but then stopped without enumerating what has to happen
to get all of UGAIM running, or what executables + databases +
configurations needed to occur, and I realize that is probably
because most people who want to run in Grid mode will wish to
connect to, rather than run their own, services for some
combination of User, Inventory, Asset,etc.

Am I right in assuming that there's no reason, and therefore no
complete instructions for, running all of UGAIM services locally?
(what I would refer to as "Standalone Grid" mode)
--
Eric Riebling  GHC 6713,  LTI,   SCS,  CMU
412.268.9872   http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~er1k

Re: Standalone vs. Grid vs. "load oar"

justincc
Eric Riebling wrote:
> Is there such thing as a 'standalone grid' mode?  I'm not sure
> how OpenSim deals with multiple regions' assets and inventories
> for the same avatars teleporting between regions.  I've seen
> strange errors about attachment state when teleporting between
> regions, but this may be due to abuse of the 'load oar' command,
> and how it affects asset UUIDs.

You could run all the UGAIM and the region server on the same machine, which would be effectively a standalone grid.

> For example, an avatar standing in a region will lose their
> attachments and clothing if "load oar" is run for that region.
> Maybe it's intended to only run when no one's around, or you're
> still OpenRuth and you have no clothing/attachments to lose. :)

Curious - load oar shouldn't affect attachments, since it only ever adds to assets (if necessary).  If you could file a
Mantis for this with the steps to reproduce I would appreciate it.

> When following the instructions for setting up Grid mode I rapidly
> came to the conclusion that it's probably NOT the right way to set
> up multiple Regions on the same OpenSim server, and reverted to
> leaving well enough alone.  (mono OpenSim + MySQL storage)
>
> The instructions for setting up Grid mode were thorough up to a
> point, but then stopped without enumerating what has to happen
> to get all of UGAIM running, or what executables + databases +
> configurations needed to occur, and I realize that is probably
> because most people who want to run in Grid mode will wish to
> connect to, rather than run their own, services for some
> combination of User, Inventory, Asset,etc.

The instructions used to be okay, but they may have degenerated with the recent server changes.  There are tutorials
around on the web which it might be worth googling for.

> Am I right in assuming that there's no reason, and therefore no
> complete instructions for, running all of UGAIM services locally?
> (what I would refer to as "Standalone Grid" mode)

Standalone is certainly simpler, but if one plans to grow the grid then I think that starting off with a 'standalone
grid' is a perfectly valid thing to do.  It's probably just that the instructions are a bit lacking right now.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com