Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

aiaustin
I wonder if anyone knows the reason that stars in the night sky in
OpenSim might look more like a shape than a dot?

I think this has been the way the stars jave looked for some years in
OpenSim (but not SL), in multiple different viers, so I am not
thinking its a cache issue.

Anyone else spotted this or know the cause?

Sample in this temporary image ...

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/Openvue-Stars-Not-Dots.jpg

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

Tom Willans
You are right. I do not think that this is a problem though. I checked some photos of stars http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/nskynov12.html (Jodrell Bank) and shapes seem more realistic.  Of course even more realistic, in an urban environment, is to not see the stars due to street lights etc. The budget conscious council has plans to remedy this though!

On 11 Jan 2013, at 15:00, Ai Austin wrote:

I wonder if anyone knows the reason that stars in the night sky in OpenSim might look more like a shape than a dot?

I think this has been the way the stars jave looked for some years in OpenSim (but not SL), in multiple different viers, so I am not thinking its a cache issue.

Anyone else spotted this or know the cause?

Sample in this temporary image ...

http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/Openvue-Stars-Not-Dots.jpg

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Senior Research Representative: Faculty of Engineering and Computing
Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
+44 (0)121 288 0281
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes ratherthan dots?

Guy Quicksand
Hello Ai,

I have only seen this when using ATI ( radeon ) video cards.
Are you using such?.. if so that is probably the reason the night sky looks
wierd.

Best regards,

Guy

>I wonder if anyone knows the reason that stars in the night sky in OpenSim
>might look more like a shape than a dot?
>
> I think this has been the way the stars jave looked for some years in
> OpenSim (but not SL), in multiple different viers, so I am not thinking
> its a cache issue.
>
> Anyone else spotted this or know the cause?
>
> Sample in this temporary image ...
>
> http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/Openvue-Stars-Not-Dots.jpg

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

Tom Willans
I fiddled  with the environment editor under Sun and Moon Settings StrBrite. If I increase the star brightness in both SL and OS there comes a point where they look like shapes as per Ai's photo. OS looks a bit more shapely but it is difficult matching skies. I am using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Firestorm 4.3.1.31155  15-inch, Mid 2012 MBP.  At 2.00 (nice dots) becoming more shapely with increasing brightness.

Michael Emory Cerquoni _______________________________________________

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Senior Research Representative: Faculty of Engineering and Computing
Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
+44 (0)121 288 0281
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

Thanks Tom,  I enjoyed that. Where are those Sun and Moon settings
for star brightness?  Is it something in OpenSimDefaults.ini?

And thanks to Guy and Nebadon for the information.

I am using NVidia cards by the way... Nvidia Quadra 4500 1GB and
Nvidia GTX 580 2GB.

I tried this again in a similar setting on a VCE region in OSGrid and
on Second Life.. with the sun set to midnight, same size window, but
using LL viewer for SL and Firestorm for OSGrid.

Second Life VCE region, Midnight, LL latest viewer
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/SL-Stars.jpg

OSGrid/OpenSim VCE Region, Midnight, Firestorm latest OS viewer
http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS-Stars.jpg

I think I am setting exactly the same "shape" on each viewer, but the
SL one is half the size of the OSGrid/OpenSim one.  is there an
OpenSim release setting that is perhaps set up a bit too big?

Funnily enough.. I was just watching the Doctor Who episode with
Vincent van Gogh this evening :-)  Starry Starry night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1YbWBSXS8

>From: Tom <[hidden email]>
>You are right. I do not think that this is a problem though. I
>checked some photos of stars ... (Jodrell Bank) and shapes seem more
>realistic.

>From: Tom <[hidden email]>
>I fiddled with the environment editor under Sun and Moon Settings
>StrBrite. If I increase the star brightness in both SL and OS there
>comes a point where they look like shapes as per Ai's photo. OS
>looks a bit more shapely but it is difficult matching skies. I am
>using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Firestorm 4.3.1.31155 15-inch,
>Mid 2012 MBP. At 2.00 (nice dots) becoming more shapely with
>increasing brightness.

>From: "What Virtual World - Guy Quicksand" <[hidden email]>
>I have only seen this when using ATI ( radeon ) video cards. Are you
>using such?.. if so that is probably the reason the night sky looks wierd.

>From: Nebadon Izumi <[hidden email]>
>I spoke to Linden Labs about this a long time ago, I believe this is
>a driver issue, do you get same results in Second Life, at the time
>I noticed this i was having same problem in SL and OpenSim, and one
>of the Lindens seemed somewhat unaware of the issue, and after
>asking others about it i recall the answer being its a driver
>problem with video cards. If you could test in Second Life that would be great.

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

GarminKawaguichi
It looks like the result on a flat screen (LCD) when the original image
is too small and stretched.
We need to find which image is used for the stars and to test it out SL
and OS, using PhotoShop or something like that.
GCI

Le 11/01/2013 21:55, Ai Austin a écrit :
> Second Life VCE region, Midnight, LL latest viewer
> http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/SL-Stars.jpg
>
> OSGrid/OpenSim VCE Region, Midnight, Firestorm latest OS viewer
> http://www.aiai.ed.ac.uk/~bat/EXPORT/TEMP/OS-Stars.jpg

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

emperorstarfinder
I am always getting told by users in secondlife that the one thing
they hate on other grids is the graphics and or textures.

The reason for this and this would likely be the reason you see the
starts as a shape is the way each graphics card displays graphics to
you.  No to graphics cards actually display graphics pixels the same
way.  In fact if you go into mouselook while set in Midday for your
sun setting and then look up at the sun youll see two rectangles.  Ive
tried this on graphics cards from nvidea geforce, ATI radeon (my
current graphics card on my desktop) and Intel graphics (same as my
laptop's graphics card) and i get that.  So its not really a bug or
anything its just the way its displayed via your graphics card.
Always be sure your graphics card drivers are up to date but not
really much you can do about that unless you feel like messing around
with the images in the scene code itself.

Emperor

> [...]
> United Kingdom
>
> Senior Research Representative: Faculty of Engineering and Computing
> Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
> +44 (0)121 288 0281
> email: [hidden email]
> skype: tom.willans
> Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:18:36 +0100
> From: "What Virtual World - Guy Quicksand" <[hidden email]>
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes
> ratherthan dots?
>
> Hello Ai,
>
> I have only seen this when using ATI ( radeon ) video cards.
> Are you using such?.. if so that is probably the reason the night sky looks

Interesting.. I tried this in Firestorm which does have the sliders
for "Str.Brite"  its initially set to 2.0 and goes from 0.00 to
500.00.  0.00 turns the sky black as expected.  but the other
settings make no difference at all - right up to 500.0.. the blotch
for the star is still the same larger than expected distinct shape
rather than a reasonably nice star like dot as seen in Second Life.

Ah well, thanks for your help everyone.  Unless someone knows f a
server side setting that can be set up or adjusted in OpenSim... lets
terminate this thread now.

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

>Interesting.. I tried this in Firestorm which does have the sliders
>for "Str.Brite"  its initially set to 2.0 and goes from 0.00 to
>500.00.  0.00 turns the sky black as expected.  but the other
>settings make no difference at all - right up to 500.0.. the blotch
>for the star is still the same larger than expected distinct shape
>rather than a reasonably nice star like dot as seen in Second Life.

Sorry, its not true that it makes no difference... it does change the
brightness of the dots and how many dots show.  But the star blotch
size remains the same.

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

Trinity
Getting stars to work in open sim requires knowing the uuid that the veiwer looks for to get the star texture and having a proper texture at that uuid for it to pull The uuid is 3c59f7fe-9dc8-47f9-8aaf-a9dd1fbc3bef. i have attached a texture to this email created by myself for this use and is public domain for any one who wishes to use it. simply ad this texture to your opensim inventory and change its uuiid to the one i included in this email

From: Tom <[hidden email]>

[...]

star.png (18K) Download Attachment

Re: Stars in night sky in OpenSim are shapes rather than dots?

John "Pathfinder" Lester-2
I've had this issue with OpenSim for as long as I can remember.

The only viewer that doesn't seem to have this problem is Imprudence.

John Lester
Chief Learning Officer
ReactionGrid, Inc.
http://reactiongrid.com
Skype: DangerJohn3
+1 (617) 910 0386
My Jibe Office: http://jibemicro.reactiongrid.com/pathfinderlester
Additional Contact Info: http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry