Status of Map Tiles on HyperGrid Travels?

Status of Map Tiles on HyperGrid Travels?

aiaustin
It may be my imagination... but I seem to recall we had map tiles
showing pretty well when grid hopping on the Hypergrid for well
configured and recent grids on 0.7.6 in up to date viewers.

But I am seeing simple blue area missing map tile son all my HG
travele nowadays.  Was I just imagining that I had seen map tiles
when on a foreign grid?  Or do I need to look for a configuration
issue.  I THINK I have the various map tile settings as they should
be.  but you never know.

Can anyone confirm if they EVER see a map tile in the map view when
they are on a foreign grid having Hypergrid hopped form their home grid?

I just tested in Firestorm 4.4.0 OS and Singularity 1.8.0 between

1. Openvue Vue-5000 region (local map tile ssshow fine)

2. Map tool lookup of Diva's UCI grid via
http://nile.ics.uci.edu:9000  - no map tile shows

3. Click on map tile blue area.. still does not show

4. Teleport to UCI Grid Mondego 1 region - look at map again and it
still does not show

Re: Status of Map Tiles on HyperGrid Travels?

Kay McLennan
Hi Austin,

While I similarly cannot use the world map when I make a hypergrid jump, happily, the non working map feature is limited to mesh-enabled viewers.  In turn, as a "work around," I use the non-mesh-enabled Imprudence viewer to hypergrid jump -- so I can continue to use the world map to navigate around in my hypergrid travels.  In other words, I think the problem is related to the move from viewer version 1 to viewer versions 2 and 3.

Note:  The mesh-enabled viewer map function still works to locate an island when hypergrid traveling -- IF you know the name of the island you would like to visit.

Best,
Kay

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Diva Canto
Since the viewers started using a map image server whose URL is given at
login, once a person goes outside the login grid, the map images don't
work. This is potentially fixable in the same way that all other HG
services work (by server-side peering), but that's not done yet.

On 6/14/2013 3:33 AM, Ai Austin wrote:

> It may be my imagination... but I seem to recall we had map tiles
> showing pretty well when grid hopping on the Hypergrid for well
> configured and recent grids on 0.7.6 in up to date viewers.
>
> But I am seeing simple blue area missing map tile son all my HG
> travele nowadays.  Was I just imagining that I had seen map tiles when
> on a foreign grid?  Or do I need to look for a configuration issue.  I
> THINK I have the various map tile settings as they should be.  but you
> never know.
>
> Can anyone confirm if they EVER see a map tile in the map view when
> they are on a foreign grid having Hypergrid hopped form their home grid?
>
> I just tested in Firestorm 4.4.0 OS and Singularity 1.8.0 between
>
> 1. Openvue Vue-5000 region (local map tile ssshow fine)
>
> 2. Map tool lookup of Diva's UCI grid via
> http://nile.ics.uci.edu:9000  - no map tile shows
>
> 3. Click on map tile blue area.. still does not show
>
> 4. Teleport to UCI Grid Mondego 1 region - look at map again and it
> still does not show

Re: Status of Map Tiles on HyperGrid Travels?

>From: Diva Canto <[hidden email]>
>Since the viewers started using a map image server whose URL is given at
>login, once a person goes outside the login grid, the map images don't
>work. This is potentially fixable in the same way that all other HG
>services work (by server-side peering), but that's not done yet.

Thanks Diva, that's good to know.... and to avoid looking at the
configs on that issue further.