Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

12

Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

Kurt Reisler
Thanks to Justin's changes, I was able to get the MySQL (5.5.16) database tables created.  I have PHP installed with IIS on a Windows 2008 server (tested with a helloworld.php script). Running OpenSim 0.7.2 with the OpenSim.ini module modified to include the following:
Groups]
    ;# {Enabled} {} {Enable groups?} {true false} false
    ;; Enables the groups module
    Enabled = true

    ;# {Module} {Enabled:true} {Groups module to use? (Use GroupsModule to use Flotsam/Simian)} {} Default
    ;; This is the current groups stub in Region.CoreModules.Avatar.Groups.
    ;; All the other settings below only really apply to the Flotsam/SimianGrid
    ;; GroupsModule.
    ;; This module can use a PHP XmlRpc server from the Flotsam project at
    ;; http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/
    ;; or from the SimianGrid project at http://code.google.com/p/openmetaverse
    Module = GroupsModule

    ;# {MessagingEnabled} {Module:GroupsModule} {Is groups messaging enabled?} {true false} true
    MessagingEnabled = true

    ;# {MessagingModule} {MessagingEnabled:true} {Module to use for groups messaging} {GroupsMessagingModule} GroupsMessagingModule
    MessagingModule = GroupsMessagingModule

    ;# {ServicesConnectorModule} {Module:GroupsModule} {Service connector to use for groups} {XmlRpcGroupsServicesConnector SimianGroupsServicesConnector} XmlRpcGroupsServicesConnector
    ;; Service connectors to the Groups Service as used in the GroupsModule.  Select one depending on
    ;; whether you're using a Flotsam XmlRpc backend or a SimianGrid backend
    ServicesConnectorModule = XmlRpcGroupsServicesConnector
    XmlRpcServiceURL        = http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php

    ;# {GroupsServerURI} {Module:GroupsModule} {Groups Server URI} {}
    ;; URI for the groups services
    ;; e.g. http://yourxmlrpcserver.com/xmlrpc.php for Flotsam XmlRpc
    ;; or http://mygridserver.com:82/Grid/ for SimianGrid
    GroupsServerURI = http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php

    ;# {NoticesEnabled} {Module:GroupsModule} {Enable group notices?} {true false} true
    ;; Enable Group Notices
    NoticesEnabled = true

    ;; This makes the Groups modules very chatty on the console.
    DebugEnabled = true

    ;; XmlRpc Security settings.  These must match those set on your backend
    ;; groups service if the service is using these keys
    XmlRpcServiceReadKey    = 1234
    XmlRpcServiceWriteKey   = 1234

    ; Disables HTTP Keep-Alive for XmlRpcGroupsServicesConnector HTTP Requests,
    ; this is a work around fora problem discovered on some Windows based region servers.
    ; Only disable keep alive if you see a large number (dozens) of the following Exceptions:
    ; System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled.
    ;
    ; XmlRpcDisableKeepAlive = false
When I attempt to create a new group, I get the following error every time the XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR is called.
10:31:09 - [GROUPS]: CreateGroup called
10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while attempting to a
ccess the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getGroup at http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php
10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
The config.php file is correctly set up to point to the correct database, with the right login and password.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Kurt

kreisler.vcf (338 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

Fleep Tuque
I got groups mostly working with the XoopenSim module located at: http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?XoopenSim so there are some obvious differences in our configuration, but I remember having a weird issue when I tried to install the module that was related to using MySQL 5.x. and I also had a problem with the Profiles module that I never did solve, with a very similar error to what you're seeing:

15:54:17 - [PROFILE]: Unable to connect to Profile Server http://fleepgrid.com/grid/modules/xoopensim/helper/profile.php. Method avatar_properties_request, para
ms System.Collections.Hashtable. Exception System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
15:54:17 - [LLCLIENTVIEW]: Caught exception while processing OpenMetaverse.Packets.AvatarPropertiesRequestPacket for Fleep Tuque, Object reference not set to an
instance of an object. at OpenSimProfile.Modules.OpenProfile.OpenProfileModule.GetProfileData(UUID userID)
15:54:32 - [PROFILE]: Unable to connect to Profile Server http://fleepgrid.com/grid/modules/xoopensim/helper/profile.php. Method avatar_properties_request, para
ms System.Collections.Hashtable. Exception System.Xml.XmlException: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
15:54:32 - [LLCLIENTVIEW]: Caught exception while processing OpenMetaverse.Packets.AvatarPropertiesRequestPacket for Fleep Tuque, Object reference not set to an
instance of an object. at OpenSimProfile.Modules.OpenProfile.OpenProfileModule.GetProfileData(UUID userID)
15:55:26 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while attempting to access the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getGroupMembers athttp://fleepgrid.com/grid/modules/xoopensim/helper/xmlgroups.php
15:55:26 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()

I think I ended up commenting out the Profile parts and haven't gotten back to it yet, so interested in hearing any others' results.

In case it's helpful, my full change log and install notes are at http://fleep.wikispaces.com/FleepGrid - have to scroll down to the 9/17/11 entry for the notes on the groups and profiles modules..

Sorry I can't be of more help - I haven't figured it out myself yet!

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Kurt Reisler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

M.E. Verhagen
I think you should take a look at your php config.
Turn off the warning notices, they can crew up the xml.
Make sure all the dependacies like php-xml are installed.

2011/10/25, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>     ; XmlRpcDisableKeepAlive = false
>>
>> When I attempt to create a new group, I get the following error every time
>> the XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR is called.
>>
>> 10:31:09 - [GROUPS]: CreateGroup called
>> 10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while
>> attempting
>> to a
>> ccess the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getGroup at
>> http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php
>> 10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: Data at the root level is invalid.
>> Line 1, position 1.
>>     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
>>
>> The config.php file is correctly set up to point to the correct database,
>> with the right login and password.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kurt

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

As a quick sanity check you could just try pointing your browser at the php.  If this part is working you should see

<methodResponse>
        <fault>
                <value>
                        <struct>
                                <member>
                                        <name>faultCode</name>
                                </member>
                                <member>
                                        <name>faultString</name>
                                </member>
                        </struct>
                </value>
        </fault>
</methodResponse>

Other than that, I'm afraid the next step is to insert a Console.WriteLine(inputXml) at about line 1159 in
XmlRpcGroupsServiceConnectorModule.Send(String url):XmlRpcRespone to see what you're actually getting back.

On 25/10/11 16:10, Kurt Reisler wrote:

> [...]
>     ; Only disable keep alive if you see a large number (dozens) of the following Exceptions:
>     ; System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled.
>     ;
>     ; XmlRpcDisableKeepAlive = false
>
> When I attempt to create a new group, I get the following error every time the XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR is called.
>
>     10:31:09 - [GROUPS]: CreateGroup called
>     10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while attempting to a
>     ccess the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getGroup at http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php
>     10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: Data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, position 1.
>     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
>
> The config.php file is correctly set up to point to the correct database, with the right login and password.

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

Sarge Misfit
*looks over shoulders and mutters to himself*

I have soooo got to learn that stuff ...

On 10/25/11, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> the XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR is called.
>>
>>     10:31:09 - [GROUPS]: CreateGroup called
>>     10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while
>> attempting to a
>>     ccess the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getGroup at
>> http://mosgrid.mitre.org/groups/xmlrpc.php
>>     10:31:09 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: Data at the root level is
>> invalid. Line 1, position 1.
>>     at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
>>
>> The config.php file is correctly set up to point to the correct database,
>> with the right login and password.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Thanks in advance
>> Kurt

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org/blog
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

Kurt,

I followed the instructions at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Enabling_Groups and successfully installed the module and got groups working with Windows Server 2008 and IIS.

I discovered that the problems I was having initially were due to my MySQL database using the utf8 character set.  When I reinstalled the database using the latin1 character set, the module installed with no problem.

Hope that helps!

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I redid the install again following those instructions and am now beginning to suspect that PHP is not installed properly on my server.  The error I am now getting is:
13:33:25 - [SCENE]: Adding new agent Kurt Reisler to scene Orientation Island
13:33:25 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: An error has occured while attempting to a
ccess the XmlRpcGroups server method groups.getAgentActiveMembership at http://m
osgrid.mitre.org/XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php
13:33:25 - [XMLRPC-GROUPS-CONNECTOR]: The remote server returned an error: (500)
 Internal Server Error.   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
The error 500 is screaming PHP installation error. I am going to go over the PHP installation and configuration again.

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.
Kurt

On 11/4/2011 8:12 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
[...]

Hi Kurt,

Definitely will need to have PHP working correctly in order for any of the modules to work, but since our last email exchange, Memetic Core released an awesome and easy to follow package of modules for groups, offline IMs, profiles, and search.  I got it installed on both my personal grid and the grid at work with not a single issue - and the instructions made sense!

I highly recommend it, download the package at: http://public.odosys.net/files/opensim/os_modules/

I detailed the steps I took on a Windows & IIS system: http://fleep.wikispaces.com/FleepGrid (11/19 entry)

Best of luck with the PHP errors but I think if you can iron those out, you'll have a lot more success with Mimetic's package than we were having trying to install each module individually.  :)

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Kurt Reisler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was able to check PHP and it looks correct.  I was able to do the traditional "hello world" test, and was even able to run the test.php which is in the package (after changing the directory location) and got the same error:
---GOT---
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 19:40:43 GMT
Connection: close
---END---
I will Memetic Core's package a shot today.
Thanks
Kurt

On 11/23/2011 2:37 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
[...]

Slavin, Simon

On 28 Nov 2011, at 2:59pm, Kurt Reisler wrote:

> I was able to check PHP and it looks correct.  I was able to do the traditional "hello world" test, and was even able to run the test.php which is in the package (after changing the directory location) and got the same error:
> ---GOT---
> HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Your web server will be writing an error log file somewhere.  Check the configuration or If you look up that timecode in it you will find a more detailed error message than just 'Internal Server Error'.  This more detailed error message will be useful to the people who wrote the package.

Simon.

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

lppallew
Hi Fleep,

I downloaded the Memetic Core package and followed his install instructions and then looked at yours. Looking it all over it seems all parts are in place but for the life of me, I can not get it to work.
profiles just give me a message "unable to fetch profile data at this time". When I try to send an offline message I get the following console error:

ERROR - OpenSim.Framework.Servers.HttpServer.BaseHttpServer [BASE HTTP SERVER]: Handler not found for http request /offline/Offline.php/SaveMessage/
2011-11-28 11:00:11,708 DEBUG - OpenSim.Framework.SynchronousRestObjectRequester [SynchronousRestObjectRequester]: Invalid XML http://enakai.dyndns-server.com:11000/offline/Offline.php/SaveMessage/ System.Boolean

A few questions I do have are:

1) When it says to add your custom database information to the php config files, do I use "opensim" or do I use "opensimmods" (using your example db name)?

2) When changing the urls do I use localhost or enakai.dyndns-server:11000 or are they both the same thing since enakai.dyndns-server:11000 is just the dns of my local machine?

Thanks for your time and your great instructions on these core modules.

Wayne

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For what it is worth, here are the errors from the log file:
#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.5
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2011-11-23 18:33:25
#Fields: date time s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port
cs-username c-ip cs(User-Agent) sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status
time-taken
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 93
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 78
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 15
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 15
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 15
2011-11-23 18:33:26 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php -
80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 0

On 11/28/2011 10:35 AM, Slavin, Simon wrote:

> On 28 Nov 2011, at 2:59pm, Kurt Reisler wrote:
>
>> I was able to check PHP and it looks correct.  I was able to do the traditional "hello world" test, and was even able to run the test.php which is in the package (after changing the directory location) and got the same error:
>> ---GOT---
>> HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
> Your web server will be writing an error log file somewhere.  Check the configuration or If you look up that timecode in it you will find a more detailed error message than just 'Internal Server Error'.  This more detailed error message will be useful to the people who wrote the package.
>
> Simon.

kreisler.vcf (338 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

core
i wish i could be of more help in this matter, but i'm only vaguely familiar with IIS and unfortunately i don't have enough resources at the moment to set up testing environment.  i'm guessing there are others out there (or on this list) who also use IIS -and- are savvy enough to troubleshoot.

'500' errors are annoying on any platform because they're as vague as it gets.  my first checkpoint in any situation is file permissions.  though this may not be the problem here, it's one of the easiest things to overlook.

- Core/Jason

On 11/28/2011 10:56 AM, Kurt Reisler wrote:
For what it is worth, here are the errors from the log file:
#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.5
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2011-11-23 18:33:25
#Fields: date time s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port cs-username c-ip cs(User-Agent) sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status time-taken
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php - 80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 93
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php - 80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 78
2011-11-23 18:33:25 10.84.244.10 POST /XmlRpcGroupsServer/xmlrpc.php - 80 - 10.84.244.10 - 500 0 0 15
[...]

meatspace: jason
cyberspace: mimetic.core
chicago, il us
[hidden email]
twitter: @odosys

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

core
Wayne,

a quick response to your 2 points:

1) the names i used in the documentation are either default values ('opensim' is the database and user name found in the .nin file comments and has been the convention for those comments as far back as i can remember) or suggested values to simplify the instructions.  i personally stick with 'opensim' as the username because i have several other databases and users for other projects and it makes it easy for me to restrict privileges for a user named 'opensim' to all my OpenSim databases.

the same goes for the database name.  i used 'os_services' as an example that hopefully most people would find useful and straightforward.  feel free to use whatever names suit your needs/environment.  all that matters is that the values you assign are reflected in the .ini files.

2) i do believe the 'profile' urls in grid-specific .ini files NEED to be externally accessible (when running OpenSim with outside connectivity) because other grids will use those to handle aspects of your identity when you do HG jumps.  i don't know for sure all of the background services that pass through those urls beyond the obvious, but unless i'm explicitly running a closed standalone sandbox with no grid or HG capabilities i use fully qualified urls for the sake of consistency.

- Core/Jason

On 11/28/2011 10:21 AM, Wayne wrote:
[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" target="_blank" value="+15135563018">(513) 556-3018

[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%28513%29556-3018" target="_blank" value="+15135563018">(513)556-3018

[...]

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your fast reply.

I have the Diva opensim install running and I've called my database opensim, etc etc.  (all the common defaults here)

Step 1 of your quick setup instructions says to create a new MySQL database and here is where I get confused.  Let's say I call that database osmods. When I go to modify config.php and databaseinfo.php, where it asks for database name, do I use opensim or osmods?

Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:22 PM, core <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Wayne,

If you're calling the new database you just created 'osmods' then you would use 'osmods' in the configuration files for profiles, offline IMs, etc.  You are directing those services to retrieve the information from your new database.

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Wayne <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As the Tinies say on the public grid, WOOT!

Using Memetic's package, groups are running on the region served on the same machine as the grid services are running.  Getting it up now on the other servers on the grid.

Question.  Do the binary's (specifically OpenSimProfile.Modules.dll and OpenSimSearch.Modules.dll) need to be installed on all servers accessing the services, or only the server which is actually providing the services?  Also, any issues with installing this package on a Linux based server using mono (I have one running stand-alone)?

Thanks to all!
Kurt

On 11/28/2011 9:59 AM, Kurt Reisler wrote:
I was able to check PHP and it looks correct.  I was able to do the traditional "hello world" test, and was even able to run the test.php which is in the package (after changing the directory location) and got the same error:
---GOT---
HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

kreisler.vcf (338 bytes) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Still trying to set up groups - progress and problems

core
great to hear, Kurt.  all credit goes to the developers in the Flotsam project.  my only goal was to make installing this and other services easier to understand and obtaining the best components more convenient.  as for the search/profile binaries, each OpenSim instance which will be connecting to the grid services needs its own copy of the binaries installed in the /bin folder.

these should run fine on a Linux/Mono setup.  that's my primary environment and the first to be tested.  if you look in the 'readme_first' document you'll see the conditions under which these modules performed successfully (up to the level of functionality verified on the OpenSim wiki):

- Ubuntu 11.xx | OpenSUSE 11.x | CentOS 5
Mono 2.6.x/2.10.5, MySQL 5.1.x | PHP 5.3.x | Apache 2.2.x

- Windows XP SP3 (32 bit)
.NET Framework 3.5, Mysql 5.1.x | PHP 5.3.x | Apache 2.2.x (as services)

- Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 (64 bit)
.NET Framework 3.5, MySQL 5.5.x | PHP 5.3.x | Apache 2.2.x (as a WAMP stack)

- Core/Jason